your opinion please

sherrylikethedrink

Just Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Hi folksI have a 2nd hand Powacycle Windsor which has served me well since January but has always had a loose connection in the throttle which didn't affect me much ... the bike shop said he could replace it but supplies have dried up in COVID...not sure if the guy is just stringing me along ...So there are issues with the throttle but now some days the battery is fine but some days it cuts out if I cycle into the wind or when I come up the hill which is making the bike unreliable. Research on the net says it could be the battery dying. So the upshot is whether to go for a new bike or take it to another bike shop and have the throttle replaced. Interested in your opinion and suggestions

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hi folksI have a 2nd hand Powacycle Windsor which has served me well since January but has always had a loose connection in the throttle which didn't affect me much ... the bike shop said he could replace it but supplies have dried up in COVID...not sure if the guy is just stringing me along ...So there are issues with the throttle but now some days the battery is fine but some days it cuts out if I cycle into the wind or when I come up the hill which is making the bike unreliable. Research on the net says it could be the battery dying. So the upshot is whether to go for a new bike or take it to another bike shop and have the throttle replaced. Interested in your opinion and suggestions
Welcome Sherry

I've got no experience of your bike, so I'm going to keep my advice general.

If you liked the bike before it started misbehaving then fix it and keep it. The most expensive single component is the battery. Even if it needs a new battery, that'll only cost you approx 300 quid for a re-cell. A half decent new bike will cost at least 700 quid more.

More importantly, I believe we all have a duty to the environment to keep things working as long as possible, and move away from the throw-away landfill culture...

Reactions: WheezyRider

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A new replacement costs £800, so keep that at the back of your mind when making decisions, but bear in mind that the replacement might not have a throttle, so if that's important to you, check with the seller whether it does or not and whether the throttle gives full speed or just 4 mph:

Your battery is non-standard, so a replacement will be expensive if you can find one. You can get it re-celled for about £200, which will make it better than new. Call www.ebikebatteries.co.uk to discuss options.

The throttle is a standard part, so replacements are readily available. Can you show us a photo of it. Also, follow the wire from it and tell us whether there's a connector on it near the handlebars or does the wire just disappear in the frame?

A shop will probably charge a lot for fitting a new throttle. It's an easy DIY job. Do you have any friends or relatives that might be able to do it if we give instructions?

sherrylikethedrink

Just Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Thank you both for your replies; I really appreciate the time you took to reply ....you have introduced me to recelling, something I was not aware of. I've done some research on battery types and performance and am plumping for recelling by ebikebatteries. I do like to use my throttle when starting on an incline so would like it to be more reliable although I don't use it to avoid peddling. The throttle is on the right-hand handlebar and then there is a switch on the left with 3 settings - off, assisted and throttle enabled however the off switch which I imagine should let me switch off the power assist has never worked. I cycle on the flat for long stretches so would quite like to extend the battery life and get some more strenuous exercise and for this setting to work. I'm wondering whether this issue is connected to the throttle problem or a connection issue with the battery. I've attached some photos as requested and yes I can get some pals to help with a DIY job. Thankyou in anticipation of your reply

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The three position switch could be wired in a number of different ways. It should be easy to get what you want either with or without that switch, but I'd need to see the wiring attached to the motor controller and where the switch and the throttle wires go to advise further.

The easiest way to shut off power to extend your range is to to add a switch to one of the brake cables. Just scrape the black sleeve off the wire, say 3" from the brake, to expose the inner two wires, then splice two more wires onto them and attach them to a simple on/off switch. That switch will then perform the same function as the brake switch and it will cut all power to the motor when switched on. No power goes through those wires, so you can use any switch you want.