Brexit, for once some facts.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Simple, lie, brexit. Any combo of these words are fairly standard now.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"Boris Johnson has said the NHS will get substantial extra funding after Brexit,despite Theresa May’s refusal to endorse the leave campaign’s promise of an additional £100m a week."

Ah now there's something at last we can rely on, a clear undertaking from a statesman, as tillson puts it
"I can't believe what you are all saying about Boris. Surely he's not capable of such cold & calculated political manouvering? He's such a happy go lucky chap and his hap-hazard buffoonery gives him an endearing touch of vulnerability.

I'm buying into the Boris thing 100%, so no more slanderous comments please.
So the promise must come true mustn't it?

• :D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've been too busy to look in for a few days, but see that not much has changed on here.

I'm reading that BoJo's heart wasn't really in the Brexit campaign. Really, well there's a revelation! During the TV debates when he replaced the full stop at the end of each sentence with the phrase, "take back control" it sounded a little bit awkward. As though he knew he had to say it, but didn't really want to.

What else has happened? Oh yes, JC has been re-elected as Labour leader, but this time with a bigger slice of the vote. I'm torn as to whether he is the biggest threat that this country has faced for a long time, or whether he is potentially the best thing that could happen to the country. I'm pretty sure that he is a thoroughly decent, hard working and honest man who is in politics for all the right reasons. This makes him a very tempting proposition and I'm leaning toward the latter of my opinions.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I've been too busy to look in for a few days, but see that not much has changed on here.

I'm reading that BoJo's heart wasn't really in the Brexit campaign. Really, well there's a revelation! During the TV debates when he replaced the full stop at the end of each sentence with the phrase, "take back control" it sounded a little bit awkward. As though he knew he had to say it, but didn't really want to.

What else has happened? Oh yes, JC has been re-elected as Labour leader, but this time with a bigger slice of the vote. I'm torn as to whether he is the biggest threat that this country has faced for a long time, or whether he is potentially the best thing that could happen to the country. I'm pretty sure that he is a thoroughly decent, hard working and honest man who is in politics for all the right reasons. This makes him a very tempting proposition and I'm leaning toward the latter of my opinions.
So am I tillson my friend, so am I!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh this is delightful!
http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN11T1WV
"
Johnson, a leading Brexit advocate who is known for his colourful language, told Sky News television on Thursday that the EU's position that there was an automatic trade-off between what access to the single market and free movement was "complete baloney."

Asked about the remarks at a news conference in Berlin, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble and his French counterpart Michel Sapin shot glances at each other before the German host responded.

"We just looked at each other because we're used to respecting foreign ministers a lot," Schaeuble said.
"If we need to do more, we will gladly send her majesty's foreign minister a copy of the Lisbon Treaty. Then he can read that there is a certain link between the single market and the four core principles in Europe," he added.

"I can also say it in English. So if clarification is necessary we can pay a visit and explain this to him in good English," Schaeuble said."

Boris not so much Enigma as Enema!
Better still advise Boris where the Exit is. we really don't need his help to make other nations think us insane, Brexit did that.
Just go, Boris, for the sake of the country, just go.

I respectfully recommend Sex and Travel.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Now another of the Three Stooges is making a play for the Dunces Cap
"
Britain to seek independent membership of WTO after Brexit - newspaper

Britain intends to become an independent member of the World Trade Organisation when it leaves the European Union, trade minister Liam Fox will say next week, according to a report in the Sunday Telegraph newspaper.

The newspaper, without citing its sources, said Fox would use a speech at the WTO on Tuesday to say Britain would seek to be an independent member of the body so that it could negotiate its own trade deals outside of the EU.
Being an independent member of the WTO would involve Britain leaving the EU's customs union, the newspaper said, something the government has so far refused to confirm it intends to do.

It looks like May has completely lost control of the situation.( and the three stooges)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
as none of them is able to deliver on any of the brexit promises, they try to get out of the Cabinet any way they can, including getting May to sack them.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
as none of them is able to deliver on any of the brexit promises, they try to get out of the Cabinet any way they can, including getting May to sack them.
Then why did they take the job on?
I know there're stupid, but not that stupid surely?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It looks like May has completely lost control of the situation.( and the three stooges)
Thatcher's bacon was saved by starting a war with Argentina, otherwise she and her party would not have survived an election. In the case of May, she could really do with a new mandate from the people to clarify the way ahead. A war against a very weak nation would be ideal for her right now but picking a fight we might actually win may not be so easy.

May jumped at the opportunity to grasp what most pundits recognised as a poisoned chalice and now she is somewhere between a rock and a hard place. Well, tough titty! She can call an election any time but that would be just as much a gamble as her present stance on 'Brexit', perhaps more so.

Current British politics is just like watching 'Yes, Prime Minister' in the 1980s but funnier!

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Thatcher's bacon was saved by starting a war with Argentina, otherwise she and her party would not have survived an election. In the case of May, she could really do with a new mandate from the people to clarify the way ahead. A war against a very weak nation would be ideal for her right now but picking a fight we might actually win may not be so easy.

May jumped at the opportunity to grasp what most pundits recognised as a poisoned chalice and now she is somewhere between a rock and a hard place. Well, tough titty! She can call an election any time but that would be just as much a gamble as her present stance on 'Brexit', perhaps more so.

Current British politics is just like watching 'Yes, Prime Minister' in the 1980s but funnier!

Tom
It seems more like Fawlty Towers to me!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Pound sinks a little bit further this morning. Currently at $1.29.
If this trend continues, we may have early general elections as the only way to decide on what brexit really means.
“The obvious is always the least understood.” - Metternich

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
“The obvious is always the least understood.” - Metternich
Did you look that one up Trex....or were you around when he said it?;)

In the next 30 minutes, I shall be converting some Sterling into Euros in order to pay a large inheritance tax bill along with associated legal costs and various other issues.

I dread to think what the rate will be!

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Did you look that one up Trex....or were you around when he said it?;)

In the next 30 minutes, I shall be converting some Sterling into Euros in order to pay a large inheritance tax bill along with associated legal costs and various other issues.

I dread to think what the rate will be!

Tom
At this rate we will need to organise "flag days" and pass around the hat in support of sterling[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• :D
Reactions: oldtom and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I thought that Boris and Co were guaranteeing additional funding when quitting the EU but today I read that a central plank of the new Labour manifesto is that they will maintain these funds,worth £9.3 billion but no mention of increasing the money.
Would Boris and Co have won the referendum if all they were offering was to maintain current EU funding.
Not a vote winner down the side of the big red bus....POST BREXIT YOU WONT GET ANY MORE MONEY.
I think the Tories have made a similar offer,but that £9.3 bn has to now come from the Treasury,out of our pockets.
Did the guy from Hartlepool,who was promised more money for the NHS,realise that the reality may be less money.
Come on Boris tell us where that £350 million per week is coming from?....not like Boris to be quiet!!!
KudosDave

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Soon we'll be talking about a £2k e-bike as cheap.
It may be that Brexit comes off the world discussion topic, to be replaced by Chinese debt crisis,their growth is I think much lower than they publicise.
But just to makes things clear,this is what Brexit means...
We will be an independent member of the WTO.
We won't leave the single market
We will be able to control immigration from both the EU and the rest of the world
We will retain bank passporting rights
We will have free trade agreements with the whole world
We will have our own special deal with Europe
We won't have to make any contribution to the EU club
We will retain access to all EU standards directives
OMG, Boris is my hero ,if I thought all this was possible then vote leave was utopia
KudosDave

Advertisers