Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May now blames the SNP 'partly responsible for brexit':

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-partly-responsible-for-brexit-claims-theresa-may-1-4239701

bizarre.
May writes in an article for Holyrood magazine.
“The EU referendum also exposed an underlying sense that people felt they have been ignored by politicians, at Westminster and Holyrood, for too long, that feeling is as strong in Scotland as it is anywhere else in the UK, and after nine years as the establishment party in Scotland, the SNP needs to accept its share of responsibility.”
I thought the Scots first kicked out the tories, then labour for the reason above.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
May now blames the SNP 'partly responsible for brexit':

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-partly-responsible-for-brexit-claims-theresa-may-1-4239701

bizarre.

I thought the Scots first kicked out the tories, then labour for the reason above.
true, I think May, with the Cameron submarine stuff is slowly unravelling. Finally labour is also finding its voice, having semi dealt with the neo conservatives in its ranks
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3807800/UK-government-spell-Brexit-plans-opposition-Labour.html

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, I watched the report om Labour conference this morning. They seem a lot more coherent now than same time last year.

Emily Thornbury is dead right:

"They had that referendum but in my view it does not give them a democratic mandate to put themselves into a locked room and do whatever the hell they like with our country, It is about time they started telling us what their negotiating position is going to be ... because we, the opposition, want to scrutinise it."
The tories still have no brexit plan to speak of.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Soon we'll be talking about a £2k e-bike as cheap.
It may be that Brexit comes off the world discussion topic, to be replaced by Chinese debt crisis,their growth is I think much lower than they publicise.
But just to makes things clear,this is what Brexit means...
We will be an independent member of the WTO.
We won't leave the single market
We will be able to control immigration from both the EU and the rest of the world
We will retain bank passporting rights
We will have free trade agreements with the whole world
We will have our own special deal with Europe
We won't have to make any contribution to the EU club
We will retain access to all EU standards directives
OMG, Boris is my hero ,if I thought all this was possible then vote leave was utopia
KudosDave
Simples really! - Can't understand what all the fuss has been about.

Tom

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
yes, I watched the report om Labour conference this morning. They seem a lot more coherent now than same time last year.

Emily Thornbury is dead right:

The tories still have no brexit plan to speak of.
Which means it shouldn't take long and Labour won't need a magnifying glass.
It is encapsulated simply as one word,
Labour ask
What is you plan?
May replies.
"Dunno!
but Brexit is Brexit!"

There now what's hard to understand about that?

Reactions: Kudoscycles

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Which means it shouldn't take long and Labour won't need a magnifying glass.
It is encapsulated simply as one word,
Labour ask
What is you plan?
May replies.
"Dunno!
but Brexit is Brexit!"

There now what's hard to understand about that?
yes finally some light at the end of the tunnel, a labour with a remit and a voice, and the pound courtesy of deutshe bank's collapse accelerating on its way down, one might hope the lovely electorate may finally wake up and smell some coffee

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Soon we'll be talking about a £2k e-bike as cheap.
It may be that Brexit comes off the world discussion topic, to be replaced by Chinese debt crisis,their growth is I think much lower than they publicise.
But just to makes things clear,this is what Brexit means...
We will be an independent member of the WTO.
We won't leave the single market
We will be able to control immigration from both the EU and the rest of the world
We will retain bank passporting rights
We will have free trade agreements with the whole world
We will have our own special deal with Europe
We won't have to make any contribution to the EU club
We will retain access to all EU standards directives
OMG, Boris is my hero ,if I thought all this was possible then vote leave was utopia
KudosDave
And the National Anthem will be "If I Ruled the World" sung by Freddie Starr dressed as Hitler.:D

• :D
Reactions: Croxden and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Chuckle of the day from the Daily Mail
"
Bosses feeling confident for Brexit: Top business leaders optimistic on growth but most are considering moving HQs outside the country
  • Most bosses of big 100 firms surveyed said they were optimistic
  • Comes after three-quarters voted to remain in EU
  • Half thinkBrexit won't change business in the UK - but may move HQs
  • John Nelson, chairman of Lloyd's of London, told Reuters last week that the insurance market would be ready to move some of its business to the EU as soon as Britain invoked Article 50 of the EU's Lisbon Treaty, which triggers the start of exit from the bloc.
Only the Mail could come up with that and also that "only 25 jobs will be lost at MG, nothing much was done to the cars in the factory anyway."

It a good job that Monkeys can read or their circulation figures would fail overnight!

Last edited:

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
[QUOTE="trex, post: 331633, member: 5652"

bizarre.

[/QUOTE]

Bizarre is the word.
Fairly sure that May didn't write that article, it seems to have come from much further down the food chain but it does show, if any further proof was needed, that the Tories just don't "get" Scotland.

wheeler

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fascinating News that Honda are continuing with the £200 million investment announced in March this year, in the UK plant, which is of course the final amount of the £1.5 Billion investment already committed

"Currently 40 per cent of cars built there are sold in the UK, 50 per cent exported to Europe and 10 per cent to the rest of the world. Now it forecasts that 20 per cent will be sold in the UK, 40 per cent exported to the Continent and 40 per cent to the rest of the world, mainly North America.

'The first units set sail for the US just four weeks ago and will be on sale there just before the end of the month.'

New Model into a New Market..needs to sell 40% of it's production there...very brave....good luck to them, I really mean that, they need it even more than we do!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can't see the question 'what does brexit mean?' be adequately answered without a general election. Basically, all major parties will have to update their manifestos and put them to a vote.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I can't see the question 'what does brexit mean?' be adequately answered without a general election. Basically, all major parties will have to update their manifestos and put them to a vote.
The problem there, is that I can't see how a General Election will provide an answer either, as none of the opposition parties can mount a convincing play for power at the moment, neither Labour, the SDP, UKIP or the Greens, have sufficient credibility with the voting public at the moment, though that COULD change (I personally would like it to very much indeed)

But as things stand it would simply cement the present Government even more firmly in place.
The only answer would be (dare I say it?) the very thing that set this whole debacle in motion.
A Legally Binding (this time) referendum to either accept the offered terms, seek new terms, or shelve the whole idea of Brexit for the foreseeable future.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Labour conference voted to block brexit

Here is what was agreed:

"Unless the final settlement proves to be acceptable, then the option of retaining EU membership should be retained. The final settlement should therefore be subject to approval, through Parliament and potentially through a general election or referendum"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/labour-conference-sadiq-khan-jeremy-corbyn-angela-rayner/
Not sure that Parliament alone would kill the issue if it came out to remain in the EU, and making the decision conditional on a General Election vote likely to be easily won by the Torys, doesn't exactly excite me!
for that reason I would still prefer a legally binding Referendum on the terms, as I said, in, out or shake it all about as it says in the Hokey Cokey!:rolleyes:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am pleased that the labour has taken position on this.
Apparently, Johnson would now do 'anything he can' to help Turkey join the EU.
Our three brexiteers have obviously nothing better to do.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
This is all becoming ridiculous .
Boris is in Ankara, yes the same Boris who made up the rude poem about the Turkish president.
Boris has said that he will support Turkey's application to join the EU,he obviously doesn't realise that it is part of his job to assist the UK leaving the EU and that our influence to new members joining is probably nil.
Boris is still a Tory and Cameron promised that there was no chance of Turkey joining the EU for at least 30 years.
Perhaps I have lost the plot but I am completely confused on what side Boris is on?
Or what is he on?
We must look like the idiots of the world,to the whole world.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Labour conference voted to block brexit

Here is what was agreed:

"Unless the final settlement proves to be acceptable, then the option of retaining EU membership should be retained. The final settlement should therefore be subject to approval, through Parliament and potentially through a general election or referendum"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/labour-conference-sadiq-khan-jeremy-corbyn-angela-rayner/
I cannot believe that sense seems to be coming out of Labour.
Still Theresa May has got Boris on her side so nothing for her to worry about,hehe!
It's all pointing towards another general election under a new manifesto describing exactly what Btexit means and Cotbyn won't win but the SNP plus Labour plus the Lib Dems could hold the balance of power. Mays procrastinating is looking dangerous for the Tories every week and Osborne would love to stick the knife in her back.
Politics is nasty at the moment.
KudosDave

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Politics is always nasty.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

Advertisers