°c, ¼, ½, ¾.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Ever wondered how some forum members include these characters in their postings? After posting in here for over four years, I decided to find out how.

For Windows users, first you need the "character map" found in 'Accessories' - 'System tools' - 'character map'. There you can select, copy and paste the special character. Or if you prefer, use the key-strokes shown in the bottom r/h corner. For ease of use, I have pinned the map permanently to my task-bar.

A couple of examples:

ALT + 0176 will display as ° (degrees symbol)
ALT + 0190 will give ¾ (fraction)

Not all Windows fonts will support the use of these codes, and when using the keystroke method you will need to enter the numeric digits with your key-pad rather than the ones above the querty keys.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of using these symbols on a Mac, but I'm sure other forum members can help with that.

Have fun :cool:
Bob

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Or one can just find the symbol on the internettywebby and cut & paste ©

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the Character Map is very useful, though I don't bother to use it very often. The one item I regularly use by keystokes from memory is the euro sign below, using Alt 0128

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Does not work on vista.
Also, cannot find accessories, system tools or character map.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does not work on vista.
Also, cannot find accessories, system tools or character map.
Place the cursor, then hold the Alt key down while typing in the numbers on the numeric keypad, then the symbol appears as the Alt key is released.

Ptarmigan

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2012
I am using a laptop and it does not have a numeric keypad!
It probably has, but just a bit obscure !!
For curiosity :--
Have a look round for a "Num Lock" key, on my laptop it is to the right of the top row "Fxx" keys, near the "PrtSc" (print screen).
Press it and a led should light up somewhere.
A group of keys on the right of your keyboard will now pretend to be a numeric keypad :-
uio
jkl
m
will now be

So, to get flecc's example euro, press (with numlock on) Alt mjk8
to give €
Try it out in Notepad.

No more than a curiosity, a lot of fafing, much easier to cut and paste from somewhere else.
I've never found anything useful to do with that "Num Lock" key,
apart from make obsure posts to forums about it !!!
(exit stage left laughing maniacally :) )

Advertisers