18650 Waterproof Battery Pack Case

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Have got a waterproof battery pack for my front light. It works, yes, but I am not exactly thrilled by its life.

Thinking about getting a box and bunging some 18650s in it. But the more I look, the less I understand. Keep checking reviews and so many have a mix of awful and wonderful. That's just the box! Gets even more perplexing as to which 18650s to buy. Yes, I've seen the nkon.nl site - but even they have so very many.

So, does anyone have specific recommendations? It would be very nice to have some sort of high/medium/low battery level indicator, but not essential.

There is no hurry so sources such as AliExpress would be fine.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: oyster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0061_01.JPG DSC_0055_01.JPG

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I have got three of these boxes.

My word of warning is the entry point of the wire into the pack is not very good. Just needs a dab of sugru or silicone sealant or something

I ruined one batch of 18650 by water ingress. Water ran down the cable into the box. The little blue o ring is pants

I also now ensure there is a drip loop or box ismounted differently

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have got three of these boxes.

My word of warning is the entry point of the wire into the pack is not very good. Just needs a dab of sugru or silicone sealant or something

I ruined one batch of 18650 by water ingress. Water ran down the cable into the box. The little blue o ring is pants

I also now ensure there is a drip loop or box ismounted differently
Appreciate the warning - will be very careful.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
also there is no short circuit protection so make sure the cells are in the right way up - + wise.

if one is the wrong way round the springs will melt tho done that a few times lol.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
also there is no short circuit protection so make sure the cells are in the right way up - + wise.

if one is the wrong way round the springs will melt tho done that a few times lol.
I'm pretty careful about things like that! (Famous last words :) )

Do I have to fit the full complement of cells?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Do I have to fit the full complement of cells?

yes or it wont be 8.4v

Advertisers