2018/2019 westhill link ebike - battery replacement

xxoyc

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2023
will any 5 pin be good? or do i need to find the exact battery it came with? which is an LG 7.8ah battery.

I found a 5 pin battery pack on eBay. Though the description says it's a carrera crosscity battery replacement, would it be fine for a westhill link ebike?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As per usual no pics of the bike or battery and like most posters, expect us to know every bike on the market. You want help and advice but don't help us out with anything to go on but a name, I for one don't bother wasting my time searching for this or that bike.

You have to determine what the five pins are for first, one pair (probably each outer pin ) will carry battery voltage . The others may simply be unused/unconnected but first you need to know and double check.
Is the charger a simple generic two pin affair.

If only one pair of pins carries voltage then it will be a two wire generic set up and yuo can use any generice battery that will fit with , one will of course need to check polarity.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
will any 5 pin be good? or do i need to find the exact battery it came with? which is an LG 7.8ah battery.

I found a 5 pin battery pack on eBay. Though the description says it's a carrera crosscity battery replacement, would it be fine for a westhill link ebike?
Westhill show both the LG (£350) and a larger capacity Samsung (£450) celled battery in stock for your bike. Even if the similar looking cheaper £220 ebay Carrera clone battery does fit/work, it's unlikely to have the same quality of cells... if that matters to you.

xxoyc

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2023
As per usual no pics of the bike or battery and like most posters, expect us to know every bike on the market. You want help and advice but don't help us out with anything to go on but a name, I for one don't bother wasting my time searching for this or that bike.

You have to determine what the five pins are for first, one pair (probably each outer pin ) will carry battery voltage . The others may simply be unused/unconnected but first you need to know and double check.
Is the charger a simple generic two pin affair.

If only one pair of pins carries voltage then it will be a two wire generic set up and yuo can use any generice battery that will fit with , one will of course need to check polarity.
You should have kept your comment unedited because editing it to only be rude was unnecessary. You expect me to know the terms you used in your comment? polarity, are you serious? you do realise there are actually people new to ebikes. It takes you 2 seconds to type or even copy/paste the bike name into google search.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You should have kept your comment unedited because editing it to only be rude was unnecessary. You expect me to know the terms you used in your comment? polarity, are you serious? you do realise there are actually people new to ebikes. It takes you 2 seconds to type or even copy/paste the bike name into google search.
You don't understand the frustration we have. We give up our time to help guys like you, but it becomes very tedious when nearly everybody that asks for help doesn't give the information we need to help you. Instead, we have to waste time and effort asking for photos, and these guys give us and tell us everything except what we ask for and need to solve their problems. These days, if they don't give what I ask for, they get nothing further from me.

If I'm totally bored and I feel sad for you, I might do some research to find out what you're on about, but it's a nice day today, so I'm not bored.

Comments like Neal's might come across as rude. I've written the same many times. You should have sympathy for him, and gratefulness, as he still did his best to help you, regardless.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It takes you 2 seconds to type or even copy/paste the bike name into google search.
And it would've taken you two seconds to do the same and post a link to A) your bike, and B) your battery and C) the battery you were looking at on ebay.

It's just laziness on your part. Nobody here is psychic, and there are literally hundreds of e-bikes and then different versions of same over time. Why do you expect everyone here to do your tedious legwork when you can't be bothered?

When joining any forum, read, look, and learn to discover who the main advisors/helpers are, and what is required when posting questions if you need help and advice. As it is, you've just pi55ed off two of the most knowledgeable and technical advisors/contributors here.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Three now CB :p.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here's the thing. The name/brand of your bike means absolutely nothing. All it probably is is a frame which has been fitted with a whole bunch of generic parts by the seller.
Without pictures there is no way to know what parts it has. Even a link to the bike is not reliable as sellers often show the wrong bike, different to that supplied.
The apparent rudeness you are seeing is frustration from those involved 'cos they actually want to help.
Post pictures of your bike with detail of the battery and it's connectors, then we may be able to help.

Advertisers