2018 Bosch Drive Units Differences?

reggie_electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2015
Thanks. I seem to be constantly switching preferences between the current CX and the new Active Plus, which kind of effects which bike I buy. (Cube Race or Cube Acid).

I used to be very indecisive, but nowadays I'm not too sure :)
I'm also a bit decisive about the Bosch motors. I'm replacing a Kalkhoff - reasons eluded to in other posts above - which had good power while it lasted. I live in Edinburgh which is a hilly place even on road, so the CX seems like an obvious choice. But many of the 2018 models have the less well powered active line. I really don't want to experiment with other in house or unproven motors given the motor reliability experiences with my first ebike. I'm also reading some issues with water corrosion with the cx control systems - Edinburgh is also very wet!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks. I seem to be constantly switching preferences between the current CX and the new Active Plus, which kind of effects which bike I buy. (Cube Race or Cube Acid).

Best thing you can do is give both drive systems a test ride.

reggie_electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2015
Very interesting interview with Bosch on current motor range, including some internal motor views and thoughts about dual battery systems. USA market focus but insights applicable to Europe.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Very interesting interview with Bosch on current motor range, including some internal motor views and thoughts about dual battery systems. USA market focus but insights applicable to Europe.
They didn't push two big improvements in Active, low resistance unassisted pedally because of direct drive and quieter motor.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire

I am glad I bought the Race 500 with Bosch cx motor, I got weighed this morning and ashamed to say I was 135.3 kg , we are at Cadwell race track which I cycled round tonight ,not been on a bike for 2 years , the Bosch motor enabled me to cycle up three steep parts of the track at 8mph in turbo mode which really suprised me ,the rest of the course I did in eco mode, I did 2 laps of the circuit about 5 miles and could have done more , this ebike has really suprised me how good it is

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard T. Jensen

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I am glad I bought the Race 500 with Bosch cx motor, I got weighed this morning and ashamed to say I was 135.3 kg , we are at Cadwell race track which I cycled round tonight ,not been on a bike for 2 years , the Bosch motor enabled me to cycle up three steep parts of the track at 8mph in turbo mode
Any idea how steep is 'steep' ?

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
Any idea how steep is 'steep' ?
Sorry I can not find out , I asked the marshalls if they knew but no joy ,I googled Cadwell Park hill gradients and all results mention steep hills but no % , the steepest climb is know as the mountain ,the next is between coppice and Charles curve and the longest is on park straight
Cheers

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Sadly the Bosch guys at the Cycle Show yesterday were next to useless, they just didn't want to engage in conversation, and were of no help to me whatsoever.

But from what Ive been told elsewhere, the CX motor may be better suited to me. I live in a very hilly area, so my commute will involve lots of big hills. I told the CX motor will be best suited to this.

Also, im a very heavy bloke, and I'm told the CX motor will be best for getting my weight up this ehills.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The motor disengages on existing drives but you still need to pedal though 1:2.5 gearbox that connects to chainring. The new drive eliminates this gearbox so slightly less losses.
But in fairness the older system had very little drag anyway.

Suppards

Just Joined
Jul 17, 2017
Yorkshire
My ebike has the CX motor. I can't say that I notice too much drag from the unit when using the bike unassisted. I'm more conscious of the fact that I'm pedalling 21kg along the road on fat tyres! I live in a hilly area and, to be honest, I'm glad of the extra poke of the CX drive.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
My ebike has the CX motor. I can't say that I notice too much drag from the unit when using the bike unassisted. I'm more conscious of the fact that I'm pedalling 21kg along the road on fat tyres! I live in a hilly area and, to be honest, I'm glad of the extra poke of the CX drive.
Having spoken to various bike shops, and to reps from both Cube and Haibike it would seem that the CX motor is perhaps the best one for my needs. I will have long steep hills to cycle up during my commute, and when pulling away from stand still at junctions, the CX motor should help me best.

I think it was the Cube rep that told me to consider the new 2018 Active Plus motor as being like the CX but without the Turbo mode. So a slight loss in how quick it gets back up to top full power, but with a quieter motor, and apparently less resistance unassisted instead?

I tried a few ebikes out at my local bike shop the other day, and the CX motor got me up a steep hill with great ease, with me even overtaking a few non ebikers :). They must have been furious at a fat bloke overtaking them!!

One thing I noticed was on the flat it seemed that my cruising speed was about 17mph, but obviously the motor cut out at 15mph. I found myself being lazy and dropping my speed to 14mph to keep the assistance on :D. If only the assistance remained up to 17 - 18mph, that would be perfect.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
One thing I noticed was on the flat it seemed that my cruising speed was about 17mph, but obviously the motor cut out at 15mph.
The motor doesn't abruptly cut off at 15mph. You still get assist up to around 16.5mph.
If you ride a bike with Intuvia or Nyon displays, they have a bargraph that shows the motor assist. I don't think the Purions have this though.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The motor doesn't abruptly cut off at 15mph. You still get assist up to around 16.5mph.
If you ride a bike with Intuvia or Nyon displays, they have a bargraph that shows the motor assist. I don't think the Purions have this though.
According to the official EN directive the electrical assistance is supposed to progressively decrease beyond 15.5 mph and that exactly is What the Bosch drive does

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If only the assistance remained up to 17 - 18mph, that would be perfect
Not at all, your probably riding just on the tail of the cutoff, it's probably programmed at 15.5Mph +10% leeway, my cube in turbo still helps a little at just over 17mph.
It doesn't matter what the cutoff is set to, you'll still want more, it's only human nature, just a little ;)

Advertisers