2018 mtb,some real nice models on here.

Japuserid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
A lot of the new 2018 models do look very tempting, love the battery integration and the direction that frame geometry is moving, Shimano E8000 motor looks very neat and tidy, but TBH I am still very happy with what I have now and until someone produce's a real game changer, like a higher density battery say 700 Wh or a decent overall reduction in weight, I am not yet tempted to change.

Progress, non the less is always a good thing, maybe the 2019 models will deliver and part me from my cash. :)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My problem is that i speak ebike, or to be more precise they speak to me....
They tempt me with their sexy lines and promise hidden pleasures if I would only.....
If you wait another year Bosch is likely to bring out new CX drive with direct drive and quieter. Only guess but can't see them not applying Active drive upgrades to Performance line drives. 700Wh battery is also likely.

My CX FS MTB is only 6mths old so no upgrade any time soon. When I do may convert it to commuter/tourer with dongle.

Reactions: Japuserid

Japuserid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
If you wait another year Bosch is likely to bring out new CX drive with direct drive and quieter. Only guess but can't see them not applying Active drive upgrades to Performance line drives. 700Wh battery is also likely.

My CX FS MTB is only 6mths old so no upgrade any time soon. When I do may convert it to commuter/tourer with dongle.
Hey Trevor, I was completely unaware of the new Active Line drive unit for 2018. Thanks for the heads up.

If this tech does find its way to a new CX drive unit for 2019 then that would indeed offer major improvements and a possible reason for me to stay with Bosch. I really like the current Bosch unit, it's been uber reliable and great fun to use and with every update it's got better and better, E-mtb mode is seriously good for off-road use. I have perhaps been lucky, never had a problem, but my mate had a problem with a noisy bearing and Bosch were very easy and fair to deal with, new motor fitted no messing around. Can't be fairer than that.

My only real gripe is the current motor is a veracious consumer of chains and front sprockets, I never expected to be replacing these items every 450-500 miles, so a direct drive and large front sprocket would certainly help to address this issue.

Looking to the future Shimano has definitely stolen a lead with the E 8000 in terms of frame integration, due to its compact size and internal layout, so a future CX power unit would need to more compact if it is to be used in one of the latest high end geometry, short chain-stay setups that are being offered for 2018 and will quickly become the norm there after.

If you are right, and I hope you are, It would definitely work for me :D

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers