36V Bosch tool battery for e-bike use

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
the battery in the picture can't be a 36V. Look at where the red and black wires are soldered to.
The red is is soldered to the top positive and the black to the bottom negative. That's normal. Why do you think that's a problem?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The red is is soldered to the top positive and the black to the bottom negative. That's normal. Why do you think that's a problem?
For 10s1p, the first and last cells are linked to a single cell. The wires on that pack are attached to two cells. Besides, there is no 18650 6ah cells also the cells in that pack are unmarked. Bosch wouldn't use unmarked cells

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The 2.6 Ah is a 2p of 1.3 Ah cells.
Can you show again the picture of the pack you bought or talked about so we are talking about the same battery? 10s2p = 20 cells

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Can you show again the picture of the pack you bought so we are talking about the same battery? 10s2p = 20 cells
Have a look at post #62 and #53. 20 cells in 2p config. I also recommend watching the first video in post #31.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The manual for one of the 36V SDS powertools says this about temperature monitoring;

Temperature Control Indicator

The red LED of the temperature control indicator 19 signals
that the battery or the electronics of the power tool (when the
battery is inserted) are not within the optimum temperature
range. In this case, the power tool will not operate at full capacity.

Temperature control of the battery:

– The red LED 19 lights up continuously after inserting the
battery into the charger: The battery is not within the
charging temperature range between 0 °C and 45 °C and
cannot be charged.

– The red LED 19 flashes when you press the 21 button or
the On/Off switch 10 (with battery inserted): The battery
is outside of the permitted operating temperature range.

– For battery temperatures over 70 °C, the power tool
switches off until the battery is in the optimal temperature
range again.

Temperature control of the power tool electronics:

– The red LED 19 lights up continuously when pressing the
On/Off switch 10: The temperature of the machine’s electronics is below 5 °C or above 75 °C.

– At a temperature above 90 °C , the electronics of the power tool switch off until the temperature is within the allowable temperature range again.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
The manual for one of the 36V SDS powertools says this about temperature monitoring;

Temperature Control Indicator

The red LED of the temperature control indicator 19 signals
that the battery or the electronics of the power tool (when the
battery is inserted) are not within the optimum temperature
range. In this case, the power tool will not operate at full capacity.

Temperature control of the battery:

– The red LED 19 lights up continuously after inserting the
battery into the charger: The battery is not within the
charging temperature range between 0 °C and 45 °C and
cannot be charged.

– The red LED 19 flashes when you press the 21 button or
the On/Off switch 10 (with battery inserted): The battery
is outside of the permitted operating temperature range.

– For battery temperatures over 70 °C, the power tool
switches off until the battery is in the optimal temperature
range again.

Temperature control of the power tool electronics:

– The red LED 19 lights up continuously when pressing the
On/Off switch 10: The temperature of the machine’s electronics is below 5 °C or above 75 °C.

– At a temperature above 90 °C , the electronics of the power tool switch off until the temperature is within the allowable temperature range again.
So it sounds like there is some coms going on between the battery and the tool. There must be something about the middle pins we are missing. I wonder why the middle pin has some kind of spring loaded plastic plunger? Just to keep the contacts apart?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The spring is in a plastic enclosure in the top of the battery, presumably to stop it shorthing the two leafs of the central connector.

Maybe the spring is there to put pressure on the release catch and stop the battery moving around.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I found a schematic which shows the combination of the ALl3640CV 36v charger connected to a 10S2P 2.6Ah battery.

The centre connector is clearly labeled BUS (K2) and from the schematic it does appear to be how the battery communicates with the charger.

But also shown is a switch SW2 which links the BUS connector to Chassis\GND, this is what would happen when a solid blade is inserted into the central connector. But if 'SW2' is made then there cant be comms between battery and charger via the BUS.

Battery fuse is shown as 60A.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
On the subject of power tool batteries.

Power tool battery connectors could be used?
I have einhell ones I use for lights. Thinking I could use for bike

Here is DeWalt

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
What is perhaps important with these Bosch 36V batteries is working out how to persuade a standard type eBike controller to cut-out if the battery gets too hot.

The 6Ahr batteries appear to have a BMS but there is little to suggest that the battery itself has a low volt or high temperature cut-out.

Used as a bare battery on an eBike might be OK for getting clicks on a youtube video, but for safer day to day use it would be preferable that you get some warning if the battery is overheating, such as making the motor cut out.

When used with a power tool, the tool appears to cut out if there are temperature problems with the battery, so if you could work out the signals from the battery that cause this, with an eBike you could use say a brake sensor input to cut the motor.

A clue that the charger and tool use the centre battery connector for sensing comes from an advert I saw for the 36V electronics module. Look at the centre connector, it would appear to short the BUS connector to -ve when the battery is initially inserted but when fully inserted BUS would appear not to be shorted to -ve and hence could pass temperture info to the tool.

Maybe the charger\tool when powered sends regular requests to the battery to report the temperature.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that schematic diagram seems to show two packs of 18V in series. The charger has a high side and a low side (= two chargers), the SW2 connects the middle ground and activates the charger.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
that schematic diagram seems to show two packs of 18V in series. The charger has a high side and a low side (= two chargers), the SW2 connects the middle ground and activates the charger.
The have just used a weird symbol for the battery and the rest of the schematic shows;

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Power tool battery connectors could be used?
I have einhell ones I use for lights.
Well, wheter you do that could be influenced by what type of managment is inside the batter pack.

If the batteries have a full internal BMS with voltage and temperature cut off then its probably OK.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
They einhell batteries have great protection inside having watched a breakdown on YouTube, although I can't say I fully understand it. I've got 5 batteries here I could use. 4 we would be enough I guess.. I'm thinking about it

Advertisers