48v battery

philsmusic2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 22, 2015
Hi there.
I am wondering where is the best and cheapest place to get a 48v 20 25 30 ah battery from?
Do the Lifepo4 batteries really do 1200 cycles more that lithium ion?
Anyone have a good used one with plenty of life left in it?
Thanks
Phil

D

Deleted member 4366

Before getting one, have a long hard think about it. The size and weight of LiFePO4 batteries like that make a bicycle more or less unrideable. What do you want to use it for?

philsmusic2000

Jan 22, 2015
I want to build a new bike.
I have a pretty light frame tourer.
It is to commute to work and home. The reason I want a bigger capacity is its 18.2 mile each way. With down hill and a lot of uphill and flat.
I am going to use it initially on my life cycle and the hub I'm buying off d8veh.
But when I have a little more money I want a 48v mid drive kit for my other 700c bike. So I want to be able to swap the battery over to the new one. My preference is to only charge it once a day so I'm not charging twice a day and only getting a year out of a battery..
From what I have read on the lithium ion vs Lifepo4 is lithium are lighter slightly but only get 800 cycles like I say I'm just after ideas what is best.
the reason I want to want a mod drive is they are a little less obvious than a huge rear motor that is a struggle with 700c wheels that I want disc brakes on and I'm looking at a 48v 750w kit.
Any other info please ask and I will try to answer.

D

Deleted member 4366

The problem is where to put a battery like those. They're too big to go in your frame triangle and too heavy to put on a rear rack. The type I use are about £250 each. You can get two for £500 and it's easy to carry the spare one in a bag or on the rear rack. You'd get two chargers too, so you can take one to work. You could get one with the integrated 20A controller, which would be perfect for the BPM if you don't mind joining a few wires.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/684-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-charger-battery.html

If money's a bit tight, one of these will just about fit in a bag on a rear rack with a controller

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/249-48v20ah-li-ion-shrink-tube-ebike-battery-pack-ecitypower-battery.html

philsmusic2000

Jan 22, 2015
So the cheaper one is the better option? But 2 of them.
Yes I was hoping the fit the battery in the triangle somehow. And the Controller underneath the bottom tube just above the mid drive motor.
My thoughts are that if it's. All close to the middle it would be well balanced.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have a bike rack, put four house bricks on it and see how your bike rides. That's about equivalent to a 48v 20ah LiFePO4 battery. The battery I use weighs about 4kg and is low and in the middle of the bike. It makes a massive difference to how the bike handles and how much you'll enjoy riding it.

philsmusic2000

Jan 22, 2015
I don't fancy that to be honest my bike weighs a ton already.
What is the difference between the various types of the bottle battery that you directed me to?
Is the Panasonic better for a particular reason?
How much is the bafang 750w mid kit weight?
Just working out what my bike will weigh. My life cycle must be about 25kilo so if I get down to 20 and well balanced it should be nice to ride and hopefully get my 18 mile journey down to 50 mins I have a couple of hidden cycle paths which I can get a bit of speed up but obviously stick to legal limit in the village and past police station.

Advertisers