48v sla balance charging?

jimmyhackers

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
ok. here goes.....

i have 4x 20ah 12v sla batteries. im currently charging them on a cheap china ebay 48v charger. does the job.....just

i fear this is not charging them equally, properly or as well as they could be. max output is 56v making for 13v a cell not 14.7 : s ive also noticed the voltages between each cell being a fair way out from even

when i take them off and put them on my imaxb6 i can put in another 3-4Ah per cell.

problem is taking them all off then wiring them in parrallel to charge then unwiring them. then rewiring back onto the bike is a total hassle. takes about 15 minute to get them on charge and another 15 to put them back on the bike.

(you see why i bought the 48v charger now)

im googling but a can find a battery equilzer/balancer. i found one from hdm corpoprate systems at around 150 quid (too pricey)and that was it. anyone else had any better luck?

failing that i may buy another 3 imax b6 chargers so ill have 4 in total and charge them up that way. this still have the drawback that im not balncing batteries when discharging but oh well.

thanks in advance for the advice

jim

D

Deleted member 4366

You can buy a good 11.5ah 48v battery with a charger for £250 from BMSBattery. It doesn't make sense to waste money on heavy SLAs

jimmyhackers

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
i have the slas already. 4x 20ah and another 4 spare 20ah when they go kaput (lucky charity shop find for 30quid) i might aswell run them into the ground, scrap them, then spend the scrap money on a lifepo4 :)

ive half solved it for now. ive bought another imax b6 charger. i can charge two batteries at a time in situe. then swap over to the next two when done.

when i eventually get a lifepo4 ill still have two of the best little battery chargers around.

D

Deleted member 4366

Why lifepo4? Alternatives are half the weight or twice the capacity.

Advertisers