8.7 million species?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
What's the correct word for different members of a species? Genus? When I was an enthuisiastic driver of MGs, drivers of chrome-bunper models were superior to rubber-bumper drivers: when I played with BMW motor bikes those of us who rode flat twin cylinder models looked down on those less-evolved members who struggled with 'bricks' (4-pot motors). Now, in my impoverished eighth decade I face a quandary: as an ebiker I am looked down on when the genus of lycra-clad cyclists flash past (without answering my cheery "Hello") on the level. They are my superiors. However, when I glide gently past them on my way uphill (they still don't respond to my "Hello!") I may then be a member of a more developed genus.
In view of recent reports of the vastly increased numbers of species inhabiting the planet are ebikers about to be placed in more than one genus? My knowledge of biology is not strong at the best of times. I hope flecc at least will understand!
What will happen when scientists try to classify ebikers according to engine location - front/rear/chain(wheel). How else may we be divided?:)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Judging by some of the behaviour patterns exhibited in this forum, I think there may well be a few more than 8.7 million species.

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok, I'll bite with a tongue in cheek assessment! :)

Generically, e-bike users are probably closet subversives, unwilling to conform to the majority population preferences but able to use "green" credentials to disguise just how dangerous they might be. In another age they might be inclined to blow up parliament, but with only about a dozen MPs in there at any one time these days, that would be a waste of time anyway.

Of course, as with any dissident group they are split into warring factions

Crank drive users feel superior in their knowledge that they have a technical hill climb advantage, but this tends to make them a bit smug. They fall into differing sub-groups, those with the throttle controlled machines tend to exaggerate and boast about their power. Those with the sophisticated pedelec machines feel superior in respect of the environmental advantages of more efficient use of current.

Hub motor users frequently give accounts of their great prowess on hills, expressing contempt for the wimps who need to have the drive through the gear advantages. They too divide into various camps. Those derestricted with powerful motors enjoy "lycra" belittling exploits, while others with moderate power budget e-bikes mask their inferiority complex by comparing the relative values of their bikes and the high end ones, insisting their choice makes more sense.

The psychotic buy overpowered high priced beasts from overseas like the Optibike and Stokemonkey motors, but then justify their choice by leaving the "a" out of beast when writing about it.

Another group which can use either type of motor are those favouring unobtrusive and silent stealth systems. Probably very shy when young, they've become timid in later years, anxious to please but keen to be seen as very capable without giving away their cheating method of achieving that.

Then there's those who buy the latest gimmicky machine with claimed advanced technology. They are the show-offs, thinking everyone seeing them is admiring of their perceptiveness, though in fact the most likely thought amongst the hoi-polloi is "what a prat".

That's it folks, now all I've got to do is get out of here alive!

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Remarkably perceptive and not a little amusing Flecc. I think you may have missed your vocation as the field of popular journalism is lacking some of the great article writers of yesteryear. Perception, (something all the great comics have,) allied to good penmanship, a non-conformist attitude with a readiness to challenge populist views and establishment norms.....we don't seem to have too many like that these days.

Parliamentarians, media hacks, whether BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5 or Sky all seem to look the same and sound the same these days. Are there no rebels any more, with or without a cause? Current affairs has become rather boring to me and I recently stopped buying the Hebrew....sorry, Sunday Times as it has become totally predictable........having said that, maybe these things were always that way and I never noticed until the onset of years beyond three score.

Hey ho....mustn't grumble!

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Parliamentarians, media hacks, whether BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5 or Sky all seem to look the same and sound the same these days. Are there no rebels any more, with or without a cause? Current affairs has become rather boring to me and I recently stopped buying the Hebrew....sorry, Sunday Times as it has become totally predictable........having said that, maybe these things were always that way and I never noticed until the onset of years beyond three score.

Hey ho....mustn't grumble!

Indalo
Thank you Indalo. I don't think for one moment that what you complain of exists solely in your perception, or even at all.

The entire drift of our governance is in the direction of conformity, with ever wider control. This is not only in the physical but shows signs of intentional intrusion into popular conscious thought and opinion.

Censorship is less by omission today, more by addition of officially preferred opinion via propaganda in a manner that excludes or weakens alternative views.

Of course in a consumer society this is easier to achieve since the population tends to be satisfied more by possession of property than by that which is worthwhile and good. Usually the young of each generation who are not "haves" (think the hippies of the early '70s) can be depended on for some rebellion against this, while promoting elements of conscience, but sadly those who still exist were swamped by the actions of the acquisitive in the recent riots.

Advertisers