906 Alpino motor strange sound

John Compton

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2015
I have a 2010 906 Aplino with 6k on the clock. I have the sound as well. I understand it is a know problem with the bike, I understand it was fixed in the 2011 model. At certain ranges 16-19 klm there is a lot of resonance which is the sound you hear. The resonance rings true with the posts above. I went to Glow worm Bikes in Sydney Australia, where the service was fantastic, and they identified the cause of the sound. They changed the front mudguard to something else and did some other tweaking which greatly reduced, but did not eliminate, the sound and at no charge to me. The motor does make a bit of noise but it's the resonance that vibrates other parts that you hear that is so annoying.
Its a good solid bike although very heavy. I'm currently having problems with broken rear spokes, about 1 every 2 months. Anyone any ideas?
The bike seems to ride better with age, although maybe that it is just my age that having assistance it seems to ride better.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi John,

Thanks for your message and email. I am pleased to read your bike is going strong after five years. We have a lot of very happy customers some with bikes a lot older. Are you still on the original battery?

Regarding the vibration. I will have a chat with my tech manager and get back to you on Monday.

All the best

David

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm currently having problems with broken rear spokes, about 1 every 2 months. Anyone any ideas?
When spokes break like that, there's something wrong with the choice of spokes or the wheelbuilding. Get it rebuilt with 14g spokes. People think that you need thicker spokes when they break, but thinner is the answer. Whatever spokes you get it built with, it'll probably be OK as long as they're not identical to the originals.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Dave, you are absolutely correct, thicker spokes are not the answer. These are very high quality spokes.

Hi John, the rear wheel on the 906 is not the motor wheel, which makes this even more rare. All I can think is that you have a rogue wheel, this isn't a problem I have heard about for a long time now. The wheel may have been incorrectly laced.

Are the same spokes braking?

Please would you email me a photo of the hub so I can look at the lacing pattern.

Best regards

David

John Compton

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2015
Hi John,

Thanks for your message and email. I am pleased to read your bike is going strong after five years. We have a lot of very happy customers some with bikes a lot older. Are you still on the original battery?

Regarding the vibration. I will have a chat with my tech manager and get back to you on Monday.

All the best

David
Thanks David, yes, still on the original battery and getting good range.
John

Advertisers