A few photos from the Tour of Penyghent (North Yorkshire)

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Did the ride today 18 miles pretty hard going but lots of fun managed to use 90% of battery. Weather was kind and Katies honesty cafe is a god send.
Great ride, amazing scenery and plenty of everything. Try the Tour of Ingleborough next, start at Clapham and go anti-clockwise take your charger with and have a bite to eat and top up your battery at the Station Inn at at Ribble head. Just one point ...To improve the ride and providing your ok with boggy ground, at Ellerbeck Gill go straight ahead and across the stream. You will come across the most amazing Limestone pavement and go past the Norber irregulars then have an fantastic descent into Ingleton.

Last edited:

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
Think ill work up to that checked it out 27 miles
Did around Barbon fell today weather fantastic then through Barbon manor good ride only about 12 miles an easy one after yesterday.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Did around Barbon fell today weather fantastic then through Barbon manor good ride only about 12 miles an easy one after yesterday.
Simon, it's 24.7 miles but
Simon, it's 24.7 miles but the last 4 miles from Ingleton to Clapham is on a quiet road. But as with all the longer routes in the Dales with a lot of climbing it's worth taking your charger and topping up whilst having a break. You will get around 30% charge per hour and no cafe or pub has refused to let me charge...Where is Katie's honesty Cafe?

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
Hiya yeah have done a bit of riding around there starting at Clapham up through the tunnels then left over the tops coming down by thieves moss some great single track into Wharfe then looping back through austwick.

Katies cafe is Halton Gill i started the Penyghent tour at Helwith Bridge so about halfway round its a farm out building with Tea Coffee and cakes you make your own brew and leave your money in the honesty box fab place.

After there you have the horrendous climb up to Foxup moor but the downhill going into Horton is amazing.

Was just a bit shocked i used 90% of battery

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Lovely area, takes me back twenty years or so when I used to cycle round those areas with leg power only.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave.

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
Will upload some more photos
Stopped at the Station and charged battery for about 30 mins left Station in and headed under viaduct Battery was on 56% at that point however lost way a Little and the joys of crossing the moss drained it down manged to get a mile outside Ingelton on back road before died then about 4 miles of very hard cycling back to Clapham. was worth it though and now i no the route and using eco think it could be done on a single full charge.

Reactions: LeighPing

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
We need a photo of you riding across the parapet of that viaduct.

I would do it but it's just a bit too far to travel for me.

• Agree

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
We need a photo of you riding across the parapet of that viaduct.

I would do it but it's just a bit too far to travel for me.
Ribblehead Viaduct, Very historic and at the time one of the greatest infrastructure projects in the world. It was the first rail link between the north and the south of the UK and many died building it.

Fortunately there is a railway station half a mile from the viaduct so you could put your bike on the train and after a pleasant journey you can take the opportunity to pedal across the parapet.

There should be no problem just tell them that Izzyekerslike said it would be OK .

But seriously if you ever fancied a few days away it's worth travelling to the area, great rides (mostly hard) amazing scenery, picturesque villages etc. And for an interesting read Google Ribblehead viaduct.

• Informative

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
20161019_141858.jpg

The Cows have their own swing bridge across the canal. Once they've all crossed the bridge swings back and the canal is open again.
20161019_143747.jpg

Bank of Four locks on the Leeds/Liverpool canal

Reactions: IR772

Related Articles

Advertisers