A working dongle - at last

D

Deleted member 4366

Do you need a 75 km/h one? What gearing are you running to go that fast? Don't forget, it doesn't make the motor run any faster nor with more power. It only stops the motor cutting at high speed where it has very little torque to help you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that was the reply i had for the bosch motor.

i cant see why the Yamaha motor would be any different as its just the older firmware for the dongle.

just email him n will sort it out for you 1 way or the other ;)

PatMcrotch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2015
Do you need a 75 km/h one? What gearing are you running to go that fast? Don't forget, it doesn't make the motor run any faster nor with more power. It only stops the motor cutting at high speed where it has very little torque to help you.
Ive got an Sduro full 9 with a modified front chain ring. Currently topping out at 46km (23 on the display). Im about to put a larger front ring on so I can break the magic 50

Yes I may need the 75km one :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can hit 35mph on mine with 16t at front just spin out after that as out of gears.

got a 19t here just need to get it fitted ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

You're doing the same as what the kids used to do on their mopeds, putting a bigger motor sprocket to go faster. There's an upside and a downside. Three teeth on 16 is a lot. Let us know how well it works.

Reactions: PatMcrotch

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will work well just you crash faster ;) spanner will be here end of week.

will change it then ;)

if it went mac 1 id make it faster lol

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You're doing the same as what the kids used to do on their mopeds, putting a bigger motor sprocket to go faster. There's an upside and a downside. Three teeth on 16 is a lot. Let us know how well it works.
It'll make it an equivalent of ten more teeth than I have for off road use, and my bike is still over geared running a 15 tooth sprocket.
Thinking about it, for my Swiss trip I might swap out for a 14 tooth set up. It'll be dry enough at this time of year, not to worry about the chain suck issue. Going from my current set up of 37.5 down to a 35, might just make a difference. Goes off to look..

it will work well just you crash faster
My take on it is that you are just going to ruin all off road ability of the bike, and will be sacrificing battery life and ride length at the same time.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill just change it back if i need to for of road use ect i bought it now so might as well stick it on there n give it a go ;)

tho i am riding round with a broken arm so cant go of road to much just down the canal paths atm.

had a near miss with plod today as well down the canal sodding txt ing on his phone lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My take on it is that you are just going to ruin all off road ability of the bike, and will be sacrificing battery life and ride length at the same time.

ill go faster tho ;) tbh i just want to see how fast these things can really go ,target is get it over 50mph.

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Blimey - 50 mph - you must be superman.

I have a 18t cog set up on my Xduro and have achieved 35mph down hill flat out pedals spinning.

The bike still handles well off road with the 18t.

On the Bosch motor for every revolution of the pedal the inner cog turns 2.5 times so:

18 x 2.5 = 45T on regular bike
27.5(wheel size) x 45 (front cog) / 10 (rear cog) = 123.75 inches (as per regular chain size)
X Pi (3.14) = 388.57 inches of wheel rotational travel for every pedal rotation.
/ 12 = 32.38 feet of wheel rotational travel
/ 3 = 10.79 yards covered for every one rotation of the pedals.

So if 1 mph = 1.46666667 feet per second.
50 mph = 73 feet per second.
2.25 pedal rotations per second.

An almost impossible (for me) cadence of 135 rotations per minute.

I will be very interested to know how you get on - best of luck.

Barry Chuckle

Jun 29, 2015
I have taken delivery of the Badass v3.3 dongle today for my Haibike Urban, unfortunately it just scrapes on the spokes of the bike. I have read earlier in this thread that someone had the same problem and had to remove a spacer from the speed sensor. Sadly I cannot do this, as my speed sensor is as close to the frame as it can be. I have e-mailed Baddass but they've not replied yet, and unless they do a thinner version I think this will be a non starter. I know there is another kit which can be installed, but this looks too complicated for my very basic mechanical skills, does anyone know if there are any other alternatives or places which will install the dongle for me? I've asked two local bike shops and they've refused :-(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
might help if you can post up some pics. ;)

tbh no bike shop will help you with dongles unless you bought it from ebike shop.

can you change the back wheel ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

worth a try

Barry Chuckle

Jun 29, 2015
Thanks soundwave, for the reply, I will get some pics on there.

Can't understand why bike shops won't help tbh, I'm happy to pay for the service?

I could change the back wheel, but I suspect by the time I'd changed both wheels it wouldn't be financially viable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Can't understand why bike shops won't help tbh, I'm happy to pay for the service?

its because if they help fit it and you then hit someone on it tbh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i imo you could sand the casing of the dongle if its not that far off or just move the sensor closer to the rim then cable tie it on there.

Barry Chuckle

Jun 29, 2015
Thanks again for the video and the pic, it's really useful.

Thats how mine looks on but, the spokes hit it, if it was just the wheel magnet I could move it.

When it's light tomorrow I'll take some pics, I'm also going to phone Badass tomorrow to see if they can help.

You've been really helpful so thanks very much

Barry Chuckle

Jun 29, 2015
I did try and cable tie further down the frame, but the speedo then started to give random speeds and it still cut out over 16mph. I will try again tomorrow. Cheers again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
as long as the magnet passes the dongle you should be able to just move the sensor of its frame mount put the dongle on it then cable tie it back on the frame left of my pic.

will just need to try and keep it level that's all, worth a try ;)

Advertisers