Almost on topic battery banter...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have mentioned in these pages that I am the happy owner of a Google nexus 7 2013 tablet and that I was having battery issues. In May of last year I bit the bullet and bought a new battery, opened the tablet and replaced it. I thought I was out tof the woods but unfortunately one of the reasons the battery had gone off was the charging port being broken... Nearly impossible to find and VERY expensive. So repair was put on hold until just before christmas when I read an article that explained the cheapest way to recover use of the tablet was a Qi wireless charger. Last week I received the envelope from China and lo and behold the 3.99 € (including postage!) plastic disk worked its magic!

The point of this introduction is that the battery in tablets and phones has a PCB that is a kind of BMS not unlike those in bike batteries. Even though it is a single cell in most cases it needs to be controlled for max voltage and min voltage for example. This PCB also give information like mAh and temperature, important in the use of LiPo in a device permitting automatic switching off if the temperature goes beyond a certain limit. In the system software there is a history of the battery usage as well which calculates how much time the device will run on remaining charge.

Having swapped out a worn battery for a brand new one has left me with a silly problem: the tablet switches off saying that it only has 4% battery left even though there are still 3.7 Volts left. I thought it was going to be easy to reset the system statistics to zero and start afresh but alas no... I charged up to 4.2 V and ran the tablet down to "zero", or rather its idea of zero, several times to no avail. The only solution I have found was to gain root access and install a calibration application which is running as I type these lines.

The messy details are:

- 3.8V LiPo single pouch cell which cuts off at 3.528 V and charges to 4.3 V max (I reached 4.291 V last full charge)
- 3950 mAh capacity
- 15 Wh

Back in the day those 15 Wh gave me about 10 hours use (web, video, music, games...)

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Nice informative post. My main tablet is the same as yours, upgraded from the 2012 model, which had become infuriatingly slow.

This one will probably go the same way at some stage, as updates get rolled out. I'll be sad to move on though, as decent 7" tablets seem to be on the decline :(

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have mentioned in these pages that I am the happy owner of a Google nexus 7 2013 tablet and that I was having battery issues. In May of last year I bit the bullet and bought a new battery, opened the tablet and replaced it. I thought I was out tof the woods but unfortunately one of the reasons the battery had gone off was the charging port being broken... Nearly impossible to find and VERY expensive. So repair was put on hold until just before christmas when I read an article that explained the cheapest way to recover use of the tablet was a Qi wireless charger. Last week I received the envelope from China and lo and behold the 3.99 € (including postage!) plastic disk worked its magic!

The point of this introduction is that the battery in tablets and phones has a PCB that is a kind of BMS not unlike those in bike batteries. Even though it is a single cell in most cases it needs to be controlled for max voltage and min voltage for example. This PCB also give information like mAh and temperature, important in the use of LiPo in a device permitting automatic switching off if the temperature goes beyond a certain limit. In the system software there is a history of the battery usage as well which calculates how much time the device will run on remaining charge.

Having swapped out a worn battery for a brand new one has left me with a silly problem: the tablet switches off saying that it only has 4% battery left even though there are still 3.7 Volts left. I thought it was going to be easy to reset the system statistics to zero and start afresh but alas no... I charged up to 4.2 V and ran the tablet down to "zero", or rather its idea of zero, several times to no avail. The only solution I have found was to gain root access and install a calibration application which is running as I type these lines.

The messy details are:

- 3.8V LiPo single pouch cell which cuts off at 3.528 V and charges to 4.3 V max (I reached 4.291 V last full charge)
- 3950 mAh capacity
- 15 Wh

Back in the day those 15 Wh gave me about 10 hours use (web, video, music, games...)

Do you still have the original battery . If your problem was the charging port, then it might still give you the full 10 hrs. How sure are you that the replacement part was a OEM spec product? ... Only asking because I have got some mobile phone gaskets and battery which were almost correct, just out an important smigin...The battery was ok but the gasket s were out.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I just use the wireless charging function on the 2013 model, so no need to use the USB, unless I'm transferring data.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do you still have the original battery . If your problem was the charging port, then it might still give you the full 10 hrs. How sure are you that the replacement part was a OEM spec product? ... Only asking because I have got some mobile phone gaskets and battery which were almost correct, just out an important smigin...The battery was ok but the gasket s were out.
Yes I have it, I haven't disposed of it yet. The battery does however have over 800 charge cycles, maybe closer to 1000, on it because it was used every day for more than two years and sometimes charged twice in a day. I was going to test it with my multi-meter but there is no marking on the pouch to say which is the + tab and which is the -. The replacement isn't OEM it is a cheaper clone saving me 20€ but capacity is identical.

If it is just the USB connector on the charging pcb that needs replacing then you can get a spare but it requires good soldering skills to remove and replace it any good workshop technician should be able to do it for a few euros:
You can do that fix with the 2012 version of the nexus 7 but the PCB in the 2013 is different making it nearly impossible. The USB port works, that is how I was able to root the device, the charging function no longer does. Apparently the default is caused by the USB connecter moving in the socket so my first course of action was to tighten the connection. Data still flows since I did that, electricity doesn't... :(

And good news! The system reset and a brand new battery means that the tablet is acting like brand new! :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Tested the old battery, it is at 0.7V, I don't think it will be sticking around much longer at home... I have had swollen LiPo batteries from Nikon and Nokia, not keen on having more from Asus.

This is why I don't buy into the whole LiPo bike battery danger thing, we are surrounded by them you all probably have one near you right now, maybe in your pocket... If you are careful your LiPo bike battery is no more dangerous than your phone. Any one care for some Samsung Note 7 toast? ;)

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: awol and Fordulike

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Tested the old battery, it is at 0.7V, I don't think it will be sticking around much longer at home... I have had swollen LiPo batteries from Nikon and Nokia, not keen on having more from Asus.

This is why I don't buy into the whole LiPo bike battery danger thing, we are surrounded by them you all probably have one near you right now, maybe in your pocket... If you are careful your LiPo bike battery is no more dangerous than your phone. Any one care for some Samsung Note 7 toast? ;)

The major difference is that the amount of combustible material in a phone or mp3 player is in grams and in bike battery it will be kilogrammes. In safety as in another activity , size matters . The material in these cells is a mixture of carbon dust, organic solvents and the metal plates, if the plates are forced to touch then they can create some heat which can ignite the solvent and start the carbon fire...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was being a little cheeky @Danidl.

So my ongoing Android tablet quest is... ongoing. The calibration software I installed is brain dead and can't define "full" and "empty" values so I believe I will have to hack into the system and remove the charge log files by hand now.

I do recommend the GSAM battery monitor which is quite useful in the information it provides over and beyond standard Android.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was being a little cheeky @Danidl.

So my ongoing Android tablet quest is... ongoing. The calibration software I installed is brain dead and can't define "full" and "empty" values so I believe I will have to hack into the system and remove the charge log files by hand now.

I do recommend the GSAM battery monitor which is quite useful in there information it provides over and beyond standard Android.
Sorry I missed the class on humour. Anyway I use an app called CPU x which gives useful and useless information on all parts of my android devices

Advertisers