And all of a sudden...there were no lights.....

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Got home from my ride the other day and forgot to charge the bike, I hadn't gone far, just along from the University to Bournemouth Pier and then along the prom. to Sandbanks and back, about 15 miles or so.

When I plugged in the charger this morning, no red light (or any other colour) on the charger.

The charger is a pretty standard Sans model SSLC126V42 LI-ion which came with my Freego Eagle.

It is supplying 41.3 volts, when connected to my partly discharged battery, so seems to be working.
Just no lights to tell me what is going on with the charge state.
I split the shell, and there is no obvious tell-tale signs of the problem. It uses one of those multicoloured indicator LED's and tracing the circuit I think it seems to be driven by an smd ic AS324.
I gave up repairing video projector systems some time ago when SMD's came in, as I could no longer see the blasted components - they got really small just as my eyesight got worse as I drifted into my late 50's.

Anyone had similar issues, or should I just buy a new charger?

Cheers, Tony.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I got two that are now out putting 42.6v so don't use them as I no longer trust them.
You could plug it in for an hourr or two and keep an eye on the charge voltage manually to see if it will still shut off or not when 42v is reached.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I got two that are now out putting 42.6v so don't use them as I no longer trust them.
You could plug it in for an hourr or two and keep an eye on the charge voltage manually to see if it will still shut off or not when 42v is reached.
Thanks Nealh, I just popped down to Maplins to get a replacement led, but after soldering it in, no joy, pretty long shot anyway worth a go.

Edit- I took another look at it after removing the large heat-sink and found diode D4 short-circuit.

After hunting around in all my bit boxes I found a sort of replacement, soldered it in and bingo-relay clicked and lights came on!

Cheers everyone, Tony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheel-E and jwm

Advertisers