Anyone using a Stromer ST2?

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
I like the idea of a s-pedelec and the ST2 seems like a great quality bike. It is a lot of money but the reason why I like it is that it still looks like a cycle so there's no issue with me keeping it safe at my work's cycle room or in my house under the stairs. If it was an electric scooter or even a chunkier e-bike then I wouldn't get away with this. Given I work and live in London, the only other way to get into work would be tube that'll cost me about £7 a day. So it's a fair saving each week if I was cycling.

Has anyone been using the ST2 for a decent length of time and can give impressions on how it holds up once it's worn in a bit? Specifically interested if anything substantial has needed to be replaced?

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the ST2 which don't compromise too much on build quality?

TIA

D

Deleted member 4366

the only other way to get into work would be tube that'll cost me about £7 a day. So it's a fair saving each week if I was cycling.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the ST2 which don't compromise too much on build quality?
The Stromer is a nice bike, but why do you need one like that, when there's loads of others to choose from, which don't cost as much and are easier to bring into the house?

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
The Stromer is a nice bike, but why do you need one like that, when there's loads of others to choose from, which don't cost as much and are easier to bring into the house?
Any recommendations you can share, I think I've struggled to google for alternatives?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I haven't won the lottery yet! :) I have seen one in the flesh. No number plate and the man got a red face and rode away very quickly. I don't think I look like a cop?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You are posting in the Speed Pedelec section so I assume you want one of those.

The Stromer is all but unique being a quality 45kmh/28mph bike with a hub motor.

Most alternatives will have the Bosch crank drive motor.

Not that there are many alternatives available in the UK because the speed bikes are illegal to use anywhere the public has access, so the market is small.

50 Cycles offer the range of Riese and Muller HS bikes - HS in Riese and Muller speak stands for High Speed.

There's a range of models and prices, Riese and Muller are never cheap which makes the Roadster HS at £2,925 something of a bargain.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/rieseandmuller-bikes.html

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
You are posting in the Speed Pedelec section so I assume you want one of those.

The Stromer is all but unique being a quality 45kmh/28mph bike with a hub motor.

Most alternatives will have the Bosch crank drive motor.

Not that there are many alternatives available in the UK because the speed bikes are illegal to use anywhere the public has access, so the market is small.

50 Cycles offer the range of Riese and Muller HS bikes - HS in Riese and Muller speak stands for High Speed.

There's a range of models and prices, Riese and Muller are never cheap which makes the Roadster HS at £2,925 something of a bargain.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/rieseandmuller-bikes.html
Your recommendation is a great shout. Both the bike and the website didn't come up on my Google searching quest (although that might say more about my poor Googling).

Anyway, I really like the Riese and Muller Roaster HS. I also like that it has a crank drive motor.

I'm fully prepared to insure and license the bike so I don't know why they are illegal. Given that I could buy a much more powerful electric scooter and that is fully legal. The reason I wanted something that looked like a cycle was purely because my other half already allows me to keep my bike under the stairs in the house but that won't be the case if I rock up with an electric scooter and when I get to work, we have a secure cycle storage room within the company building. There's zero chance they'll allow me to bring in an electric scooter. So having something that looks cycle ish will greatly reduce any theft risk and also the need to buy an expensive lock.

(and in case anyone is wondering, it's a life choice for not wanting to go down the petrol/diesel powered route).

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can't pedal with a motorbike helmet on your head, that is what killed the moped in France.

Yes they are as expensive as a quality motorbike helmet. They are motorbike helmet approved but with ventilation. You know how much a stromer ST2 costs so the helmet price shouldn't scare you... :D

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
You can't pedal with a motorbike helmet on your head, that is what killed the moped in France.

Yes they are as expensive as a quality motorbike helmet. They are motorbike helmet approved but with ventilation. You know how much a stromer ST2 costs so the helmet price shouldn't scare you... :D
Oh okay, I didn't realise the helmet needed to be of a certain standard. I thought a normal cycle helmet would work. After all, I see plenty of people on normal human powered road cycles that seem to be able to go over 30mph.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh okay, I didn't realise the helmet needed to be of a certain standard. I thought a normal cycle helmet would work. After all, I see plenty of people on normal human powered road cycles that seem to be able to go over 30mph.
Regulations and logic rarely coincide.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyway, I really like the Riese and Muller Roaster HS. I also like that it has a crank drive motor.

I'm fully prepared to insure and license the bike so I don't know why they are illegal.
Beware, the Roadster HS may not be type approved so could be difficult to impossible to register.

Check out the R & M HS models on the 50cycles web site and you'll see the other models have number plate mountings and the necessary lights etc that go with motor vehicle approval.. The Roadster HS doesn't have those, probably accounting in part for the low price.

Advertisers