Attaching lock bracket - paintwork

colin79666

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2015
Midlothian
Now that I have my new bike I need to fit my new lock. Its an Abus that comes with a plastic bracket. I'm a bit worried about the hard plastic of the bracket damaging the paint on the tube of the frame. Any suggestions?
I've thought about using some kind of tape (masking or electrical) but I wouldn't want a sticky residue.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Now that I have my new bike I need to fit my new lock. Its an Abus that comes with a plastic bracket. I'm a bit worried about the hard plastic of the bracket damaging the paint on the tube of the frame. Any suggestions?
I've thought about using some kind of tape (masking or electrical) but I wouldn't want a sticky residue.
A strip of old inner tube will do the job best. Insulation tape or self amalgamating tape will too, and any residue from insulation tape will polish off.

colin79666

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2015
Midlothian
A strip of old inner tube will do the job best. Insulation tape or self amalgamating tape will too, and any residue from insulation tape will polish off.
Thanks. Annoyingly I threw away some old, perished inner tubes just a couple of months ago! Anyway bought a cheap one out of Halfords today which I can cut up to fit. Seems like a better solution than tape, giving a bit more cushioning.

Advertisers