Backache

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
Could my bike a size too large be the cause of my back problems....twice now after riding my Boardman TXC 29r Ezee conversion I have experienced severe lower (right) back pain. It seems that an age old problem is resurfacing...so I am now quite scared to go for a ride. I don't really know what the actual size of the frame is but with the seat fully down I can barely touch the ground P1040123.jpg No problems when riding the old Forza. If I cannot sort this out then the bike is available for sale. I paid John £950 and will accept £900.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Before spending any money make sure the bike is set up properly for you. Make sure the saddle is the right height, at the right angle and correctly positioned fore and aft. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how to do this.

If you are getting pain on one side it sounds like your saddle may be too high.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would say that it's not so much the size, but the shape. It's holding you in just the wrong position that's aggravating your back. Try different handlebars or stem, or put the seat higher, or a stem riser until you find a position that doesn't give you the problem.

I've had to deal with lower-back problems, which are bad on a city-type bike but give me no problems on a road bike with seat high and bars low, which seems counter-intuitive.

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Usually, with an over-large frame the problem is with the top-tube being too long and causing the rider to have to raise up the head in order to see. This certainly causes neck problems and upper back pain and especially if ridden long distances.
If the saddle is at the correct height then it should be possible to sit on the saddle and reach the ground with the ball of the foot only.

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
thank you for all the suggestions....I did try the big bum seat off the Forza but probably did not ride long enough to fully test. Looked at the thud buster quite expensive....any thoughts on suspension seatposts ?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Suntour NCX seatpost.

Suspension seatposts need a little extra height so the seat will not go as low as with current seatpost.

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
Usually, with an over-large frame the problem is with the top-tube being too long and causing the rider to have to raise up the head in order to see. This certainly causes neck problems and upper back pain and especially if ridden long distances.
If the saddle is at the correct height then it should be possible to sit on the saddle and reach the ground with the ball of the foot only.
I think you meant reach the pedal with the ball of the foot only....but thanks to all for your help - I am going to have a rethink about saddles height etc...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Almost anything can set off the backpain. Check whether the saddle is directly aligned, or the handle bars exactly square. Some people prefer the saddle canted either towards the front or rear. My understanding is that a foot should reach the ground while sitting on the saddlesadd the bike slanted at about 30 degrees .

In contrast with d8vh, I have found the sit up and beg stance of the Dutch bike the better... At least for my neck. I did get backpain on an early occasion sitting upright, but I was sitting rigid not relaxed going over cobbles.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Get someone to ride behind you. If your hips are rotating around the saddle, then it is too high. If you're getting a burn just above the knee it is too low. If you're comfortable with the amount (or lack ) of weight on your wrists, then I'd say the reach is right.
Frame size is measured from centre of bottom bracket to the top of the saddle stay.
I too suffered from right side sciatic type pain. Went to a sports masseur and he found problems in my left shoulder/upper back and right calf. After 4 treatments - never looked back (pun:rolleyes:). The problem may not be where you think it is.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I ride sit up and beg style on both my bikes.
I find this fine whereas with flat bars and leaning forward I used to get pain in the stomach and groin.
Opposite of d8veh!

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
  • Agree
Reactions: Danidl and Gringo

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have noticed that In Belgium, quite a lot of the older 40 plus riders have high handlebars, some, to be accurate if indelicate, at nipple height.

• :D
Reactions: Wheel-E

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Riding with 2 bulging discs I've found It's best for me to ride upright.
Short of actualy buying a Dutch style bike :eek:, I have a few changes I make to any new bike.
NCX seatpost, 3 inch rise bars & a realy short stem (40mm)
Not forgetting a wittkop medicus trekking saddle from lidl (previous years lidls have had bike accessories on sale in early March)

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Could my bike a size too large be the cause of my back problems....twice now after riding my Boardman TXC 29r Ezee conversion I have experienced severe lower (right) back pain. It seems that an age old problem is resurfacing...so I am now quite scared to go for a ride. I don't really know what the actual size of the frame is but with the seat fully down I can barely touch the ground View attachment 23363 No problems when riding the old Forza. If I cannot sort this out then the bike is available for sale. I paid John £950 and will accept £900.
It's my opinion that your bike is to big, you should always have some seat pin showing,and sitting on the saddle ,with your leg slightly at the knee, with the ball of your foot centrally on the pedal, you should also be able to have both feet be able to touch ground with your toes.
Another important rough guide , is to have the saddle in the mounted in the pin ,flat, then you should be able to place your elbow on the nose of the saddle ,extend your forearm to the handlebars, where your finger tips are should be the centre line of the handlebars ,if they are short then it's a fair bet the frame is too big.
Fingers forward is ok ,fingers behind means you will be stretched, making your back ache.
Of course this is only a general rule, but I reckon you need to sell on ,otherwise you will be wasting time and money trying to make your current one fit.

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
Suntour NCX seatpost.

Suspension seatposts need a little extra height so the seat will not go as low as with current seatpost.
faith restored - purchased and fitted the Suntour NCX. As it turned the height was about the same as the rigid seatpost. Thinking there was rain on the way this afternoon headed out quite early and completed 22 miles including Box Hill twice. No problems whatsoever...Bike comfort is transformed on a softer setting.Suntour seatpost.JPG

On a different subject I was having a lot of trouble with the gear indexing. Threw out the Sram and fitted a Shimano 9 speed shifter. Now gear changes are like silk....Boardman 29 Ezee conversion..JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Steed

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
I have considered the NCX seat post but dismissed the idea on the basis that when the seat post compresses (as it must do continually on uneven surfaces?) it will alter the saddle height relative to the pedals and potentially give rise to knee problems. Or am I missing something?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have considered the NCX seat post but dismissed the idea on the basis that when the seat post compresses (as it must do continually on uneven surfaces?) it will alter the saddle height relative to the pedals and potentially give rise to knee problems. Or am I missing something?

The seat post is compressed under your dead weight and has slight movement going over bumps and hollows... The knee is very flexible in forward backwards movement so can easily adjust, provided the height on average is correct, there wouldn't be fatigue. There are always as many bumps as hollows on average.... , Otherwise it's a slope.

Advertisers