Bafang brake sensor fitting

brianw

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2015
I built my first MTB e-bike on a Marin Wolfridge last year with much help from my now good friend Tony (I hope), who sold me the frame. Many teething troubles as you would expect on first attempt but now it's the best thing I've ever done in biking.I just love it.
How ever now I'm just finishing a second one for my wife on the same model frame but this one has hydraulic brakes.
No problem I thought, Tony has hydraulic brakes!
However the brake levers are Hayes and the lever 'pushes' down on the hydraulic piston and the magnet conversion cable I have bought is closed to contact, ie brake off and that is the opposite of the lever direction.
I hope this is clear.
Has anyone had this problem with Hayes type operation or anyone have any ideas ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Brian,

Could you post some pictures?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I built my first MTB e-bike on a Marin Wolfridge last year with much help from my now good friend Tony (I hope), who sold me the frame. Many teething troubles as you would expect on first attempt but now it's the best thing I've ever done in biking.I just love it.
How ever now I'm just finishing a second one for my wife on the same model frame but this one has hydraulic brakes.
No problem I thought, Tony has hydraulic brakes!
However the brake levers are Hayes and the lever 'pushes' down on the hydraulic piston and the magnet conversion cable I have bought is closed to contact, ie brake off and that is the opposite of the lever direction.
I hope this is clear.
Has anyone had this problem with Hayes type operation or anyone have any ideas ?
I have 2 new in packet hydraulic brake cut off switches that splice /tee into the brake line, they are BionX brand
http://www.ebike-easy.com/popup_image.php?pID=107&imgID=0&XTCsid=ae56f4e251168fa1ba838abac019e3ea
Surplus to requirements £30 for the pair , you will just have to match the BionX fitting or cut it off and add your own type

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've got a feeling these are the ones you're on about, which will make some kind of fitting at the lever, nigh on impossible.
Hayes.jpg
Ultrafunkula's suggestion may be the way to go though. I'm sure with a bit of Googling, you could find something similar, but with a Bafang Higo connector.

brianw

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, I can see your problem.
Here is a picture of the Hayes lever:

I think you may have to fabricate an adapter to hold the magnet ring and attach it to the lever, just after the silver adjusting knob.
If you are truly stuck, let me know, I'll try to 3-D print an adapter for you.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In this case a simple push button cutoff switch (paid about 2.70€ for mine) is the cheapest most elegant solution.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Was going to put them on a fast ebike I was building but sold project on.

This is picture of them, I was going to be nervous at cutting my hydraulics and fitting the inserts,olives etc.
IMG_0518.JPG

brianw

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2015

I think you may have to fabricate an adapter to hold the magnet ring and attach it to the lever, just after the silver adjusting knob.
Thanks but any location of the magnet on the lever is going to be pulled nearer the sensor rather than away which is required.
I'm am thinking of an extension of the lever beyond the pivot towards the handle bars center to reverse the direction of the lever.
I'll send a pic if this works but any further ideas welcome.
Thanks again for your interest
Brian

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
something like this:

hayes-brakes.png

brianw

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2015
Yes that looks good
I'll try a mock up to see if there is enough movement
Cheers

brianw

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2015

Just inspected my lever and the movement at the adjusting screw is only about 2mm and fixing the sensor would put it way out infront of the lever.
I,ve got my version to work but it is not pretty I'll post a pic to see if you can see a way to improve
Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this arrangement may also work. You don't have to put the magnet in front of the head.

brianw

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2015
this arrangement may also work. You don't have to put the magnet in front of the head.

Yes that looks very neat, will try it.
Here's some pics of my efforts. I've rotated brake lever upsidedowm to make fitting easier
First set are your first suggestio, secnd us mine

Yes I'll try that
Uploading my efforts, note brake lever is upsidedown.

Attachments

Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers