Battery Charging Cost

lampy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2010
Hi folks, I have a Li-on battery, 37V 10AH - and was told by the bike shop it costs 7p per full charge - (4-5 hours) - is that about right? Seems very cheap to me.

Thanks,
Lampy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's about right, some 26 volt types cost as little as under 4 p, depending on the household tariff and the charger efficiency.

E-bike running cost is mainly that of the battery replacement and a smaller amount for the bike parts, the electricity consumed isn't worth totting up it's so little.

Leesome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2010
seven pence, seems very expensive! 37 x 10=370watts cost of out the meter
per unit if unit is 2.5kw or 2500watts. Only use 370watts of is higher percentage (+50%) of unused units; the rest its up to you.

Should add for the prim and proper, consumption (370watts) of non-inclusive of waste of from leds or components giving off heat ect, add halve penny, no worries. :0)

Last edited:

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Electricity in the UK varies between about 10 and 20 pence per unit depending on tarriff, whether you have a standing charge, usage - etc.

A 37V 10Ah battery in good condition would have about 50-80% efficiency - which means you get out about 50-80% of what you put in. The 80% end would relate to a slow charge (around 2 amps) and more importantly a slow discharge, which isn't the case usually on an e-bike.

Allowing a 10% loss on the charge would be reasonable (forget about the discharge loss at this point as it's not relevant), and 85% efficiency on the charger. Therefore you'd be looking at around 480 watt hours to charge your battery from cut-off to full.

This would mean a minimum of just under 5p to about 10p for a charge depending on tarriff....

Geek mode off - I must get out more!

Rog.

Advertisers