Best Browser For The Mac?

C

Cyclezee

I know I know, there is tons of stuff on the web on this very subject, but I would just like to get the opinions of real people that I trust implicitly.

On the Mac, I prefer Google Chrome probably because I am a relative newbie to the world of Mac and I used it and still do when using Windows.
I'm not huge fan of Safari, but haven't really used it very much.

During the current Malware problems on the forum, I am using Opera which seems to work perfectly if a bit slower than Chrome.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
If there is malware on the forum, then it is bound to be targeted at Windows, so using a Mac will provide you with protection in itself.

Most major browsers are platform independent, (with the exception of Windows IE, which ceased support for other platforms a long time ago), which means that browsers should work as well on Windows/Linux as well as on a Mac (depending on other factors such as how powerful the underlying hardware is).

IMO browser choice comes down to personal preference. I have used all the major browsers over the years, Opera was a favourite for a time then Firefox for even longer and now Chrome, it may switch back at any time depending on useability and speed. Safari is excellent if nothing else is available and I see nothing wrong with it, I don't use it as I'm used to the others interfaces, so that is based on useability. Internet Explorer I don't touch with a barge pole based on speed and it appetite for resources.

I find Chrome to be fast, easy to use and set up and uses less resources compared to others.

Changing browser will not provide any more protection against malware as any other browser, they all provide similar levels of protection. If you are a Windoze user, you will certainly need up-to-date AV software and be more careful when using the internet and what you download/click on.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I'm not huge fan of Safari, but haven't really used it very much.

During the current Malware problems on the forum, I am using Opera which seems to work perfectly if a bit slower than Chrome.
I've tried all the major browsers on one or other of my Macs John and I can't say I notice any significant difference in they way they perform their function. Not so long ago, that wasn't the case and there were noticeable speed differences between browsers but they have all improved since those days.

Safari is the stock browser with Macs as you know and I still use it by default. If I experience any kind of glitch which causes me to wonder if it might be a browser problem, I switch to Firefox which I have always found to be pretty reliable.

Any significant advantages of one over another are lost on me, I'm afraid.

Indalo

C

Cyclezee

Thank you Indy and eTim for your comments,

I think I will stick with Google Chrome. I do find it faster and more user friendly, but maybe that is down to the fact that I am more familiar with it and can find my way around more quickly and easily.

I am a relatively new Mac convert and gradually trying to wean myself away from anything Microsoft, but that isn't easy when you have used things like MS Office for years. I no longer use Outlook having switched to Mail for email.

The only application I now use Windows for is Quickbooks which to me is the best book keeping program. I know there is an online pay monthly Mac version, but it is more expensive in comparison to the PC version.​

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Thank you Indy and eTim for your comments,

I think I will stick with Google Chrome. I do find it faster and more user friendly, but maybe that is down to the fact that I am more familiar with it and can find my way around more quickly and easily.

I am a relatively new Mac convert and gradually trying to wean myself away from anything Microsoft, but that isn't easy when you have used things like MS Office for years. I no longer use Outlook having switched to Mail for email.

The only application I now use Windows for is Quickbooks which to me is the best book keeping program. I know there is an online pay monthly Mac version, but it is more expensive in comparison to the PC version.​
Just get yourself Parallels or VMWare for the Mac and run a virtual copy of Windoze for any Windows apps you need, I do this to run the odd Windows program that I need to use. I use Parallels in Coherence mode which means that Windows apps effectively become apps on the Mac and run in their own Mac windows seamlessly. With virtualisation, you can also run Linux, other copies of OSX and all versions of Windows, if you really need to, on the one Mac machine.

Mac hardware is so powerful (even 3-4 year old Mac's) nowadays that there is no performance penalty unless you are running the latest Windows games which really should be run on hardware natively. Mac's provide boot camp which allows you to run Windows from boot-up so this is native processing, 2 native computers in one!

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the advice eTim,
I have Parallels 7 already and run a virtual copy Windows, so that I can use Quickbooks.
I tried Boot Camp, but prefer Parallels.

Advertisers