Bike cuts out

Pappaboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 12, 2018
Chester Le Street
Hi, hoping someone can help me please.
I bought a batribike Granite Pro 2nd hand.
Used to belong to an old gent who sadly passed away.
The bike is in excellent condition however having not been used for a while the battery was no good.
I bought a brand new battery from Batribike, fitted it and everything works as it should in the garage, however, riding it is a different matter
The electric will turn itself off before I get to end of street, everything goes off, the screen goes blank etc etc.
You can then switch it back on and the same thing happens every few feet.
If you put it on the side stand and lift the back wheel off the ground and put into throttle mode it just goes forever. No cut out.
Any ideas ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Faulty battery or charger, or you didn’t charge it properly. You need a meter to measure the battery's voltage after you charge it.That will guide you to the source of your problem.

Pappaboy

Feb 12, 2018
Chester Le Street
Faulty battery or charger, or you didn’t charge it properly. You need a meter to measure the battery's voltage after you charge it.That will guide you to the source of your problem.
Voltage of battery seems fine.
It will go forever when not under load but cuts out when rider is on.
I'm wondering if it could be worn brushes in the hub setting off safety cut off when the current is getting high

D

Deleted member 4366

Voltage of battery seems fine.
It will go forever when not under load but cuts out when rider is on.
I'm wondering if it could be worn brushes in the hub setting off safety cut off when the current is getting high
If you want to solve your problem, do as I say.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Can you post the measurements from the battery after a full charge and the charger output

Plus, maybe my poor googling ,but that bike has a brushless motor I think ? How many wires ? 2 is brushed and 3 is brushless

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Can you post the measurements from the battery after a full charge and the charger output

Plus, maybe my poor googling ,but that bike has a brushless motor I think ? How many wires ? 2 is brushed and 3 is brushless
Edit - crossed with d8veh. The forum can totally help but need to work with exacts. Your fault description is common but has several possible causes. We need those readings to start the diagnosis

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forum members have helped out many with battery cut out issues and battery repairs but we need to see the listed voltages you are seeing.
Measure the voltage output of your charger and as requested the voltage of your battery after it has been charged, otherwise we can't help.

Reactions: Wheel-E

Pappaboy

Feb 12, 2018
Chester Le Street
I
Edit - crossed with d8veh. The forum can totally help but need to work with exacts. Your fault description is common but has several possible causes. We need those readings to start the diagnosis
I will take both to work this week and post the readings here.
Thank you for input , as you can probably tell I'm a total newbie to electric bikes.

Pappaboy

Feb 12, 2018
Chester Le Street
Hi again,
Had battery and charger both checked by the electrician at work.
Both are working fine.
Charger putting out 36v and I'm sure he said battery was putting out 36v
Does that sound right.
What do I need to do now ?
Thank you.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Charger should be 42v.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We need to know exactly the voltage readings and not "sure he said this or that ".
For a fiver buy a digital volt meter off ebay or Maplins and carry out simple checks your self.

A 36v li-ion battery has a nominal 36v rating, when fully charged it should register 41.5 - 42v. Your charger should be out putting 42v as AK has mentioned.

A definite charger out put voltage, 36v not good needs to read 42v & a battery out put reading 41.4v - 42v anything less will indicate a battery not fully charged or one out of balance.
Out of balance means cells of unequal voltage.

Usually when the power switches off it is due to a bad battery contact or often low voltage cut off (LVC).
Lvc is set within the batteries BMS board and the controller which can be lower . At a 36v reading the battery voltage will sag due to the load being applied/asked of it from the controller, it will dip 2 or 3 volts lower and at 33 or 34v may bring the lvc in to play.

D

Deleted member 4366

Charger putting out 36v and I'm sure he said battery was putting out 36v
Does that sound right.
What do I need to do now ?
Thank you.
They're both knackered if that's true, in which case you need to replace both of them to solve your problem.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
They're both knackered if that's true, in which case you need to replace both of them to solve your problem.
Not necessarily true, the battery could be fine if it had a chance to charge up fully. If the charger is only putting out 36V the battery has no chance of being any higher.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Neal and others are bang on here

We need exacts. And to be honest , you need a multimeter ! Anywhere from a fiver to 30 absolute maximum. A Ebikers best friend, trust me

Not hard to use. Stick red probe on positive terminal and black on negative. Read number on screen

Even if you get that the wrong way round you’ll just get an inverse reading ie -42v instead of +42v

If there is an issue with your battery your going to need it for the next steps

Plus, and forgive this cynical old sod, but I’m not entirely convinced your electrician actually bothered to check.......maybe they did but hmmm

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Advertisers