Bosch 400wh battery issue - specific advice required please

stepawayfromthemachine

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2018
Bedford
Good morning everyone.

I have a Bosch 400wh battery that i have used with my Haibike Xduro Urban for the last couple of years. It had always worked perfectly until a few months ago when it was failing to charge. The LED charging status on the side of the pack would blink for a few seconds when the charger was plugged into the terminal and then it would fail to charge and the LEDs would remain static.

I thought the cells had failed as the battery had had a continual heavy use and had certainly exceeded its expected life of 500 charges, so i contacted Jimmy at InSat in London who has kindly recelled it for me, but the issue still exists. The cells he has installed are chargebale and are showing as charged independently of the Bosch system when he tests it, but when plugged in the charge status atill only shows two bars and it will not charge correctly.

Any ideas please? Do the batteries require/respond to any kind of firmware updates etc? I have tried the reset function when holding the power button on the side of the battery with no change.

I'm not particularly electrically minded, so please excuse me if i ask questions if the more technical among you use terminology i need clarification on! Laymans terms would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards

Simon.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds like the bms has had it problem is the bikes motor needs that bms to talk to the motor for it to work and you cant buy new ones even when the batt is recelled the bms cant loose power as it has a password protected chip on it so even fixing the bms would be impossible as you would have to disconnect it and loose power and the password.

stepawayfromthemachine

Apr 3, 2018
Bedford
sounds like the bms has had it problem is the bikes motor needs that bms to talk to the motor for it to work and you cant buy new ones even when the batt is recelled the bms cant loose power as it has a password protected chip on it so even fixing the bms would be impossible as you would have to disconnect it and loose power and the password.
Hmmm, sounds disappointing. I will go back to Jimmy and discuss this with him then.

Cheers for the response.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only jimmy can recell those batts so if he cant fix it then only option is a new batt as no other bms will work.

D

Deleted member 4366

You could take it to a Bosch dealer who has a battery tester. The tester should give the code for what's wrong. I guess he would charge £30 - £40 for that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my lbs wants £45 for diagnostic:eek: but if you can take it to the dealer where the bike was bought from should do it for free.

stepawayfromthemachine

Apr 3, 2018
Bedford
Thanks for the further ideas everyone. I know Jimmy is working to solve it, I spoke to him earlier today. I’m going up to see him Saturday morning with the bike as he has some new equipment that he may be able to come to a solution with once he can interrogate it. Will update if any success. Don’t really want to have to pay for a recell repair for a battery that doesn’t work then have to fork out for another new battery too :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Jimmy recelled my brothers Bosch but that was Gen1, no issues with it at all.

Advertisers