Bosch Nyon tuning dongle

Dan Fog Madsen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2014
Hello
I am waiting anxiously on my new Haibike Nduro pro 2015, it will arrive in about a month from now.
I already own a 2014 Haibike xduro pro hardtail, I fitted a Badass dongle to it, and im planning on doing the same on my new bike, but with a different dongle that I can activate with the lightswitch.

Does anybody have experimence with a tuning dongle and Bosch Nyon? What about the ASA Espeed?
Thanks in advance.

The bikes will of course only be used in a private forrest when the dongle is activated...

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
The bikes will of course only be used in a private forrest when the dongle is activated...
Before you do it let somebody more knowledgeable than me comment on the legality.

Fairly sure that whilst on road etc:-
Bike with Dongle removed -> legal
Bike with Dongle fitted but switched off -> not legal

Appeal to all, PLEASE can we not turn this into one of those several threads on dongles. The OP is obviously already aware of the basic legalities.

D

Deleted member 4366

A warning to dongle users. Don't post on here that you have a dongle fitted. We've already had one member here, who told everybody about his dongle, then the dealer used it against him to wriggle out of a warranty claim. By all means discuss them, especially the one that your friend has on his bike, but don't admit that you have one.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
I was performing a diagnostic and update last week on a Bosch Active, and the software prompted me that the speed sensor had had an "illegal modification". It would appear that it does show up on the diagnostics after all....This was a second hand bike not purchased from OnBike.
First time i've seen this.
I don't see why any Dealer would feel the need to try and "wriggle out of a warranty claim", as they are fulfilled by Bosch and don't cost the dealer anything other than 10 mins work which can be claimed back if necessary.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Name the hook wriggling dealer I say - bet it was a KTM one, that Col seems to want to blame dongles for everything from corked wine to crop failure.

Dan Fog Madsen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2014
My dealer already knows about the dongle on my old bike, and i know that i will loose the warrenty on the bike when i fit a dongle.
I still think that the prize you pay by putting on the dongle, is worth it, with all the extra fun that a fast bike gives...

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was performing a diagnostic and update last week on a Bosch Active, and the software prompted me that the speed sensor had had an "illegal modification". It would appear that it does show up on the diagnostics after all....This was a second hand bike not purchased from OnBike.
First time i've seen this.
I don't see why any Dealer would feel the need to try and "wriggle out of a warranty claim", as they are fulfilled by Bosch and don't cost the dealer anything other than 10 mins work which can be claimed back if necessary.
Martin, can you screen shot this and email it to me? Interested to see it as we obviously run 100's of bikes through diagnostics / update and to date, there is nothing showed up. With the tuning kit removed it has no signal difference at all over the regular speed sensor so I find it hard to believe.

Are you sing software version 3.6.0.0? This is the latest and has been out for a while now..

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
I'm afraid not Martin, as it was last week and we just cleared and updated after showing the customer.
There was no Dongle on the bike, and the customer had never used one, though it was a second hand purchase.
It could be unrelated to Dongles...I was simply highlighting the fact that the system had indeed picked up on a speed sensor anomaly as an "Illegal Modification" and could be picking up the use of one.

As I said, I had not seen this before either, but I can assure it was there.

I have no axe to grind, and have no problem with customers using their bikes as they wish, though OnBike does not supply dongles.
With regards to the software version, I don't use it that frequently so don't know off by heart, but will certainly have a look next time, as maybe it does indeed need updating to a more recent version.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
I don't have a dongle, but it seems perfectly possible to me that a Nyon has all the information necessary from sensors and GPS to infer that there is a speed discrepancy that could be down to a tuning device and the motor is behaving unusually. I don't know enough about the data stored in the motor to guess whether the diagnostics could also make a similar assumption, in the absence of Nyon Gps data, but given enough statistics, which Bosch gathers without allowing us to opt out (probably against EU privacy laws) I think it is possible to compare speeds and torque and say the speeds recorded are incompatible with the energy expended, especially the average maximum speed. In general I would guess people travel close to the maximum for as long as possible, with a dongle I guess the speeds achieved would appear to be be lower for longer, raising suspicions. Also I suspect any motor (over)heating and cooling would have an unusual signature, more like the Sport motor.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
The motors don't overheat.

Bosch motors have the max rpm and torque values pre programmed.
The fitting of a dongle cannot and does not overide this.

Name the hook wriggling dealer I say - bet it was a KTM one, that Col seems to want to blame dongles for everything from corked wine to crop failure.
What do you want to bet?

Because, it can't have been a KTM one... unless they went direct to Bosch and didn't inform us - which is possible, but I know Bosch haven't turned down a single warranty on a KTM because of the use of a dongle.... yet.

However we haven't that many warranties, so the sample isn't that great.

If any warranty was refused, it would be by Bosch - nothing to do with KTM.

We're just letting people know, that it is an issue - thats all.

Don't shoot the messenger.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What do you want to bet?

Because, it can't have been a KTM one... unless they went direct to Bosch and didn't inform us - which is possible, but I know Bosch haven't turned down a single warranty on a KTM because of the use of a dongle.... yet.

However we haven't that many warranties, so the sample isn't that great.

If any warranty was refused, it would be by Bosch - nothing to do with KTM.

We're just letting people know, that it is an issue - thats all.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Retailer ducking responsibility - again.

"We took your money, squire, but don't blame us, it's those nasty Germans."

Retailer ducking responsibility - again.

"We took your money, squire, but don't blame us, it's those nasty Germans."
Rob... you're so miss-informed its verging on dangerous ;)

KTM are not a retailer!! We don't sell to the public. So yes any warranty work is dealt with with by the retailer from whom the customer bought the bike.

If a dealer, any dealer of any brand of Bosch bikes has a motor or battery that needs serious warranty work... it goes to Bosch - not the bike brand.

Its not anyone ducking responsibility, its the proper procedure for dealing with warranties batteries and motors.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob... you're so miss-informed its verging on dangerous ;)

KTM are not a retailer!! We don't sell to the public. So yes any warranty work is dealt with with by the retailer from whom the customer bought the bike.

If a dealer, any dealer of any brand of Bosch bikes has a motor or battery that needs serious warranty work... it goes to Bosch - not the bike brand.

Its not anyone ducking responsibility, its the proper procedure for dealing with warranties batteries and motors.
Colin.

The customer's contract is with the retailer.

If it goes wrong under warranty, it is up to the retailer to fix it.

The bike trade - and others - routinely fob off customers with: "It's down to manufacturer".

But that's all it is - a fob off that has become commonplace.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Seems the Consumer Association is as equally ill-informed as me, and whoever wrote the Sale of Goods Act must be a total numpty.

"Your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must make any claim against the retailer."

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Colin.

The customer's contract is with the retailer.

If it goes wrong under warranty, it is up to the retailer to fix it.

The bike trade - and others - routinely fob off customers with: "It's down to manufacturer".

But that's all it is - a fob off that has become commonplace.
In Colins defence FLi have helped on a number of occasions when customers have come back with broken components on their KTM. Ive had shocks replaced at no charge to the customer via Colin, the customer admitted to breaking the shocks. Replacement Bosch control facias where customers have broken them replaced for free, crank arms replaced where a customer has forced the wrong peddle on to the wrong arm. Its not always a quick turn around but the help and more importantly the 'want' to help is there. Kudos also are very pro active in helping sorting out issues with their bikes where the customer needs help. As a retailer I do not shirk nor 'fob' off anyone that genuinely needs help, if I can I will help.

Seems the Consumer Association is as equally ill-informed as me, and whoever wrote the Sale of Goods Act must be a total numpty.

"Your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must make any claim against the retailer."

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act
Yes that's correct Rob. All I'm telling you is how the system works.

If you send your Rose back to the retailer, which in this case is also Rose..... They won't actually do the work on the bike in many cases. Ie if the fault is bosch it goes back to bosch, if the fault is with the forks it will go back to the relevant service centre.

Has someone fobbed you off? Or do you want to give me an example of a case I can hopefully explain to you?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yes that's correct Rob. All I'm telling you is how the system works.
No Colin, that is not all you were telling me.

You told me in your usual patronising fashion I was ill-informed.

You now seem to be saying I am correct.

I know how the system works, that's the fob off.

The system - when it comes to it - means jack all because it has no foundation.

If I cannot get satisfaction with any part of my bike, my only recourse is with the retailer.

Put bluntly, he's the only bloke I can sue for damages because he's the only person I have a contract with.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
So why did you single me out for a comment if your issue is with a retailer?

And the chain is important,because your retailer will send a faulty item back to bosch for examination. So if bosch say they won't warranty it, that means your dealer won't.
We will soon lose track here, but my post 'singling you out' was in jest 'name the hook wriggling dealer'...'that Col blames dongles for everything', etc.

I agree if Bosch say they won't warrant it, the dealer won't.

That is precisely why the contract is so important.

If I am still unhappy, my only recourse is to negotiate with, and ultimately sue, the dealer.

I currently have no issue with any dealer, but I have a permanent issue with big companies and retailers trying to deny the existence and force of basic consumer law.

By all means put in place systems and procedures, but don't forget where the buck ultimately stops.

Nothing to do with bikes, but I know of more than one instance where a retailer's memory was refreshed remarkably quickly by a county court summons.

Advertisers