Bottom bracket replacement

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
My old 1990s mountain bike had a bottom bracket made from ball bearings and shaft that was a bit rusty, so a quick look online I bought a sealed bearing replacement which was cheap ( I know!) Who knew there was such replacements? I never... Think it was around £10 off Amazon.
I thought it would be good enough and being sealed it would last years.
It's clunks and sounds like a babies rattle and getting worse, so I'm going to replace it.
Just buy a branded one I guess?
I've got no Idea what I'm buying.
Just thought I'd ask.
Size
68x127.5mm

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
There are loads of them here:-
Square Tapered | Bottom Brackets | Transmission | SJS Cycles
I bought a VP one from SJS and it has been fine. I chose it because it was a light one and it had an alloy threaded cup. Some have a plastic cup (eg Shimano) which I thought mght split when being tightened.
One thing to bear in mind if fitting a PAS sensor is the diameter of the spindle. Some are 17mm and the "push on" sensors don't fit well. I think Woosh (Tony) recommended at Neko BB to someone on the forum as they have 16mm spindles, Worth checking anyway.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My old 1990s mountain bike had a bottom bracket made from ball bearings and shaft that was a bit rusty, so a quick look online I bought a sealed bearing replacement which was cheap ( I know!) Who knew there was such replacements? I never... Think it was around £10 off Amazon.
I thought it would be good enough and being sealed it would last years.
It's clunks and sounds like a babies rattle and getting worse, so I'm going to replace it.
Just buy a branded one I guess?
I've got no Idea what I'm buying.
Just thought I'd ask.
Size
68x127.5mm
Are you sure it's not the pedal arm that's coming loose?

I've bought severak of the cheap halfords ones for abouy a tenner, and never had any problems.

Also, check that it's not end-play because one side is screwing itself out or wasn't screwed in properly?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've tightened the pedles and grabbing on there is no play tugging and moving. Seems like the bearing ticking type noise.
It's worse with the right side than the left.
When peddling without effort it's fine but when I add effort it's terrible. Also a clunk on right side like arm is loose.
The 1 / 2 reviews on Amazon reflect my findings.
VP Components BC73 Square Taper Cartridge Bottom Bracket (68x127.5mm) https://amzn.eu/d/ilAJS7L

Junk bike parts!
I think there is no quality control on many things we buy at low prices. Lottery if parts are ok

Don't want another problem as rather spend more to get a good one

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
That's the one I bought from SJS and I've used it for over a year now (about 500 miles at a guess) without problems. I guess you've just been unlucky.

Related Articles

Advertisers