Box for rack to carry stuff.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I fitted a DeWalt tstax box to rack which I can now clip more boxes on. Just could not carry enough stuff in the original bag.
It should be waterproof and I can lock it if required. Helmit fits in.

Some may think it looks daft but I don't care. I need to carry stuff. Probably will only ever need the one box as may get top heavy..

Only problem is the POC rack off eBay. It's junk tbh.
Any recommendations for decent rear rack please, something with some strength ..

Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I think trailer is a much better option.
Your saddle seems to be at strange angle. Do you find it comfortable?
I wonder how do you get on and off that bike...

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Tortec are not a bad pannier rack for the price - maybe around £26 off ebay new (link)- rated at 25Kg
  • there's currently a Tortec on auction/buy it now on ebay - (link)
  • Racks by the likes of Tubus are great quality but a hefty price.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fitted a DeWalt tstax box to rack which I can now clip more boxes on.

Some may think it looks daft but I don't care.
Doesn't look daft at all.

For several years I did my supermarket shopping using a supermarket type basket with adaptations on the rear carrier to clip it on. Using a blue handled DIY store basket to shop in Orange handled Sainsburys, I just walked in with my own basket to do my shop, then walked out with it to clip it on the bike and ride home. Using no plastic carrier bags, everything loose in the basket, it could hardly have been more environmental.

It did amuse some, including my neighbours!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
No. Saddle is not nice to sit on. I tilted back a bit to try and improve sitting position. It's better but not great.
In my opinion it is well worth the money to invest in a good saddle. Then you can move it to another bike if needed.

I have two bike racks. Both Topeak, both installed on bikes with disc brakes. One rack is disc specific and one is not. I must say I don't like this disc specific at all due to it's odd shape. Both racks are very sturdy.

Despite all thumbs up you received I must say I don't like your setup. I think you compromise stability and safety of your bike. I am sorry for saying that...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
These are pretty good. Ny sister has one on her bike. It clips on or off when you want or don't want it. Obviously doesn't fit when you have an LCD in the middle of the bars, but it's easy enough to make a new bracket for the LCD to move it further back over the stem. You won't get a full size Labrador in it unless you chop off the back half, like the one in the photo - maybe a pupy. It just about fits on a Woosh Rambletta. I just had to tilt the brakes down a tiny bit. I've got one for my bike, but not fitted yet as I'm planning to change the bars to more pull back type due to arthritic shoulders.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Problem with rear racks and heavy stacked tools boxes is they unbalance the bike and then that also makes it back heavy , liable to wheelie or try and tip up.

Even with proper weight distribution on my bikes with four panniers low down one can feel the weight /balance.
For tools and the like which can be heavy and the bulky boxes it is best surely to invest in trailer and ride safer , as a tradesmen one can offset the bike cost and trailer as one does with tools and others items on ones books.

Currently there are two CF's on ebay with postage so worth buying one of them, one is uk and one is in germany. These are easy to strap a box /boxes on and have a 45kg tow weight for QR axles or higher for non qr axles like a thru axle or hub motor/internal hub gear axle.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update on my DeWalt box.
Was fine today riding to work and home. Didn't know it was there.
Box don't weigh much and I never knew it was there tbh. I carry pump. Rain top and trousers. Plastic bags and elastic bands to covers electrics when it rains. Lights. Straps. I carry odd things I need like a tin of wax polish today. Camping stove tomorrow for work colleague. Just chuck in and off.
Mate of mine says forget bags ect, just stick a plastic box on the back and I think he's right. His was £10 with lid and he goes shopping to supermarket and day to day stuff he chucks in the box. Bag was too small to be practical for me and rain was a problem even with a cover over.
My plan is to add lights and reflectors to the box. Only problem is it looks like a pizza delivery box!

Re saddle.
It's a wide padded saddle I bought but not great

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Update on my DeWalt box.
Was fine today riding to work and home. Didn't know it was there.
Box don't weigh much and I never knew it was there tbh. I carry pump. Rain top and trousers. Plastic bags and elastic bands to covers electrics when it rains. Lights. Straps. I carry odd things I need like a tin of wax polish today. Camping stove tomorrow for work colleague. Just chuck in and off.
Mate of mine says forget bags ect, just stick a plastic box on the back and I think he's right. His was £10 with lid and he goes shopping to supermarket and day to day stuff he chucks in the box. Bag was too small to be practical for me and rain was a problem even with a cover over.
My plan is to add lights and reflectors to the box. Only problem is it looks like a pizza delivery box!

Re saddle.
It's a wide padded saddle I bought but not great
The police are going to target you now because they think you're a Deliveroo courier. Bad luck!

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Yeah. I was thinking that. Everyday I park my bike in same location (edge of city) and plod HQ is not far away unfortunately for me. I think I will attract attention.

Maybe answer is bigger bag. Just struggling some days to carry stuff. Depends what I need to take with me

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Your problem with the saddle is likely because you have too much of your body weight on it. Mountain bikes are designed for your saddle to be higher than your handlebars to keep weight on the front wheel to make cornering better and keep the front down when climbing steep hills.
When you have your riding position as upright as yours you need a sprung saddle or a suspension seat post. If you have neither of these you can look forward to causing yourself back problems as your spinal discs become suspension for the rest of your body.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@chris_n Re saddle. I bought a Bikeroo padded comfort saddle with shock absorbing springs off Amazon. It's not great though.

Re bike pizza box. Swapped for another I had for interest.
Think this will work with a few reflectors. Get my plastic black paint out to tone it down a bit, and a few bike stickers. See how this works out.

Hopefully the Christmas drink drivers will see me unlike my mopeds years when one got me!

I'll get a new rack as recommend here.

followed a trailer home.
Was doing 18mph at one point along tow path with just leg power. Fair play. I am tempted to get a similar one for carrying stuff. Bike trailers are useful . Cracking colour. Ha

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers