Brake switch for hydraulic brakes

D

Deleted member 4366

A reed switch and magnet is what most people use.

oded

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2014
So there is no easy way of installing the hidden wire brake sensor to my hydraulic brakes? Requires some improvizing?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
So there is no easy way of installing the hidden wire brake sensor to my hydraulic brakes? Requires some improvizing?
Hydraulic brakes don't have a wire, so a Hidden Wire Brake Sensor ain't gonna work.

I would have thought a reed switch on the brake lever, or down at the calliper is your best option.

D

Deleted member 4366

No. They're for cable brakes. I have seen ready-made sensors, but I've never seen them in the flesh. They're probably just a reed switch and magnet anyway. The problem with hydraulic brakes is that the levers and rest are different on every brake, so it's very difficult to make a universal system that works.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If you are going to install on the brake lever, you need a normally closed reed switch (Assuming your controller is brake sensor high). Glue it onto the fixed part of the lever, and then a magnet on the moving part.

When the brake is not pulled, the magnet will operate the switch, causing it to be open. When pulled away, the switch will close.

You can turn a N/O reed switch into a N/C by using an additional magnet, but it would be easier if you by a N/C to start with:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reed-Switch-Changeover-SPDT-0-2A-change-over-N-C-N-O-reedswitch-XGH-3Z-small-/330902431561?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d0b526749

Reactions: atheo

oded

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2014
Great info. Thanks.
Anyone needs a HWBS? Apparently, I won't be needing it (-:

Advertisers