Brexit, for once some facts.

Finding export rates is easy, finding import rates very difficult with companies like Pitney Bowes making money by selling the necessary documentation.

To sell bikes into China under WTO rules means a 25% tariff, since it's part of their class 2 protected market, but to import from China probably means the opposite, a moderate rate.
Surely, the point is WTO makes it standard, so if its a 25% tariff one way, it'll have to be the same the other? I've been looking into this all day and I can't find the answer.

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There will be a flat rate WTO rate
the flat rate is 2.7% for most manufactured goods between members where the market for that product is fully functioning (where the producers do not get state subsidies).

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Guardian
"
No Brexit transition period without final EU trade deal, May tells MPs
Prime minister says UK cannot have an implementation period after Brexit in March 2019 unless there is something to implement.

I shall explain the logic of Government Policy and reassure the Nervous Business leader with this inspiring message, if I "May"

There, don't you feel that you now have a clearer understanding of the wisdom of our negotiating stance?

• Agree
the flat rate is 2.7% for most manufactured goods between members where the market for that product is fully functioning (where the producers do not get state subsidies).
"most"

I'm looking for a definitive answer, not your optimistic hopes... I "hope" its 2.7%. But I need to know what it actually is.

You've already given 2 answers, which now makes me trust neither.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In WTO it's class 1 unprotected markets that get these low rates. Class 2 protected markets like China's own internal bicycle one get the high rates that maintain protection against imports.

The question is whether Europe (and Britain? [Brompton]) regard their internal markets as needing protection. The current EU protectionist move on e-bikes seems to indicate they do.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The question is whether Europe (and Britain? [Brompton]) regard their internal markets as needing protection. The current EU protectionist move on e-bikes seems to indicate they do.
most manufactured goods produced in advanced economies are unprotected.
So it's fair to assume that e-bikes made in the EU or China are not protected goods.

most manufactured goods produced in advanced economies are unprotected.
So it's fair to assume that e-bikes made in the EU or China are not protected goods.
Please stop using the terms like "most" and "assume", its infers a lack of confidence.

There will be an actual number. It'll be a fact, it'll be something that we can not debate. It won't be up for discussion because it'll be a WTO base rate that you negotiate from as part of any trade deal.

I need to know the actual number.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Please stop using the terms like "most" and "assume", its infers a lack of confidence.

There will be an actual number. It'll be a fact, it'll be something that we can not debate. It won't be up for discussion because it'll be a WTO base rate that you negotiate from as part of any trade deal.

I need to know the actual number.
You are on wrong forum for facts.

• :D
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are always exceptions.
However, there is no indication that e-bikes are protected goods.
You should check with HMRC to be sure.

there are always exceptions.
However, there is no indication that e-bikes are protected goods.
You should check with HMRC to be sure.
I've emailed them already today, on the classification.enquiries@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.
email address.

I was not optimistic of a reply this week so I thought I'd ask on here about eBikes and in other places about bikes. I was hoping someone who was in favour of the "no deal" outcome might have researched the impact of their desires. So far no luck. It's like people want something they haven't looked into. Who'd have thought it?

Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've emailed them already today, on the classification.enquiries@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.
email address.

I was not optimistic of a reply this week so I thought I'd ask on here about eBikes and in other places about bikes. I was hoping someone who was in favour of the "no deal" outcome might have researched the impact of their desires. So far no luck. It's like people want something they haven't looked into. Who'd have thought it?
Why does it have to be someone who is in favour of no deal to be interested in WTO duty rates? I am interested because it is my business, WTO model is a possibility.
I choose not to panic.
If I import cheeses from France, then I would think about making cheeses here.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
ok, so here's a question I never thought I'd be asking, but might become very important.

What's the WTO tariff on bicycles, and bicycle componments, and eBikes??

I can't find anything on-line.
I asked the identical question on this forum about a week ago...nobody seems to know.
KudosDave

Why does it have to be someone who is in favour of no deal to be interested in WTO duty rates? I am interested because it is my business, WTO model is a possibility.
I choose not to panic.
If I import cheeses from France, then I would think about making cheeses here.
I'm interested.. and I'm not in favour. I was just expecting somehone who is favour of no deal, to know what they were in favour of! I'm not suggest you or I panic, but I would suggest that we look into it, and educate everyone about it.

I'm not sure of the relevance of cheese... unless your suggesting the UK suddenly sets up a bike and component manufacturing industry from scratch to compete with Europe and the Far East, to save a x% tariff. Personally I think you'll find UK customers will be prepared to pay x more to get the brands they want.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
more or less same as now.

the UK and EU will have to notify WTO members any changes to their schedules, in the case of the UK, new schedules that are based on current trading conditions.
Trading with the EU will probably be based on most favoured nations.
E-bikes from the EU would probably attract 2.7% duty, from China still at 6% duty.
components would attract 4.7%, electronics 0% or 2.5%
No need to lose sleep over it.
But the EU is still actively continuing with anti-dumping duty from China,that will be 55%...,.why would you put a different tariff on e-bikes away from vanilla bikes,so 55% seems probable.
I am sure that all bikes,both e-bike and vanilla, post Brexit will have a 55% tariff UK to EU,that will really hurt the likes of Brompton. I am sure the MD of Brompton would lose sleep over such tariffs.
What is going to make these tariffs even more certain is if our government introduce the e-bike grant...can you imagine,post Brexit,that the EU will accept a country 23 miles off the EU that has e-bike grants and zero e-bike tariff from China and Kudoscycles is only 20 miles from Dover,hehe !!!!
KudosDave

Advertisers