Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With regard to the comments from other EU members, it really should have been a hanging bunch of cherries being picked one by one.
you mean like having cherries and eating them?
I do that all the time.
(I have a few cherry trees in my garden in France (variety Napoleon, pigeon's hearts), we collect bags of cherries in July).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Back in the good old days we had "debating" classes in high school, I guess they don't do that these days...
That tends to be in our more exclusive private schools, and universities of course. In our state comprehensive schools it seems to have been confined to the odd experiment.

Increasingly now we have privately run academies taking over the comprehensives and I've no idea of their position in this. We also now have free schools mainly run by local communities, a wider variety of religious schools and many home educating, so the sheer variety of schooling now means it's increasingly difficult to know exactly what is going on with British education. Scotland runs it's own education system and it was once the best one in the UK, but from current accounts it's been increasingly failing though I have no detail on that.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Meaning?
And you implying that the likes of "Weasel words" Jackass Grease Smug somehow cancels out the sinister nature of his intentions by being a calm and apparently moderately spoken con-man?
No one has been "Shouted Down" on here, but they have signally failed to raise a Pro Brexit argument that withstands even cursory scrutiny.

And let's face it Brexit is in the hands of the worst possible bunch of incompetents to negotiate it on our behalf, isn't it?
Well I don’t know. Leading scaremonger, David Cameron appears to be coming around to the idea of Brexit.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And let's face it Brexit is in the hands of the worst possible bunch of incompetents to negotiate it on our behalf, isn't it?
Of course it wouldn't matter if we had a team of geniuses negotiating. The sheer complexity of Brexit alone makes it intrinsically impossible to deal with rationally.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not really. I watched him speaking that reply and it was clear he was being diplomatic and deliberately uncontroversial to duck a question he found unwelcome.
There is a general policy that once having been in the game particularly as a major player and now on the sidelines one does not queer the pitch on ones successors. Its called manners. I choose not to visit to my place of employment after retirement for 9 months so that there would be no hint of interference with my replacement.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I choose not to visit to my place of employment after retirement for 9 months so that there would be no hint of interference with my replacement.
And they probably changed the door code immediately upon your departure. :)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I saw this interview the other day and it reminds me a lot of the emotions involved in the Brexit debate. I think both the interviewer (Cathy Newman) and the interviewee (Jordan Peterson) come over well and both handle the questions and responses responsibly. I enjoyed watching the interview and thought it was an excellent debate. It may even be possible to identify issues / traits which are discussed during the interview, on this forum.

I have heard that Cathy Newman has been on the receiving end of terrible abuse and threats and that Jordan Peterson has experienced abuse from those with opposing points of view. This is where the similarities with the Brexit debate creep in and it can be seen within these pages, which is a shame.

I might disagree . This was not a conversation or a debate . There was no meetings of minds at any level. Jordan was a academic with a strong command of his subject matter and prepared to discuss it with all its nuances. Cathy was seeking confrontation and good television. Neither were either able or prepared to understand the others viewpoint. Now Jordan being interviewed by Germaine Greer might have been enlightening.. two intellects at the same level and possibly opposing views.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Meaning?
And you implying that the likes of "Weasel words" Jackass Grease Smug somehow cancels out the sinister nature of his intentions by being a calm and apparently moderately spoken con-man?
No one has been "Shouted Down" on here, but they have signally failed to raise a Pro Brexit argument that withstands even cursory scrutiny.

Ofcourse they have been shouted down, insulted ; patronised and marginalised.
Woosh deserves a medal for not rising to the flack he,s received. Yourself and Tom cant post without insulting or patronising someone..like ending every single post with a question, as you always do...

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: daveboy and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well I don’t know. Leading scaremonger, David Cameron appears to be coming around to the idea of Brexit.
Yes, interesting isn't it? He must see some personal advantage.
Snag is I don't think it will extend to us!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not really. I watched him speaking that reply and it was clear he was being diplomatic and deliberately uncontroversial to duck a question he found unwelcome.
In his position I would want to minimise how big a mistake made in having the referendum too.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This isn't surprising since there is a general shift towards on-line shopping, which is backed up by demand for warehousing. The high street has been in decline long before Brexit was even thought of.

Meanwhile, the pound continues to strengthen meaning that KTM customers will soon see prices fall as the company reverse the price rises blamed on the weak pound. :)

Advertisers