Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think so. Coincidences are far more common than we might think and we can and often do create them by going looking for them. Once we do that the coincidences can be overwhelming in number.

Once a person I met also had one Italian parent, and then we realised that we both had the same two initials for our Christian and surnames.

So we went looking and found that we were both the second child of our families. Not only that, we were also the second son in each case.

Then we discovered that our birthdays were on the 1st and 2nd of September, and finally that they were in order of our ages.

It shows how incredibly common coincidence can be, confirmed by academic research on the subject.
Alas our views on this matter are not the same, i see the fact that the Tory party managed to overlook at least ten previous assassinations as they didn't want to rock the boat, as an indication of an ulterior motive in leaping to the attack on this one when they desperately need a diversion from the disaster that Brexit has become, and a golden opportunity to sneak some agreements with the EU through under the Radar.
Too good a chance to be overlooked.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting snippets of information keep surfacing
This from the Independent
"
“Could somebody have smuggled something out?” said Amy Smithson, a chemical weapons expert at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies.

“I certainly wouldn’t rule that possibility out, especially a small amount and particularly in view of how lax the security was at Russian chemical facilities in the early 1990s.”

In 1995, a Russian banking magnate called Ivan Kivelidi and his secretary died from organ failure after being poisoned with a military grade toxin found on an office telephone.

A closed trial found that his business partner had obtained the substance via intermediaries from an employee of a state chemical research institute known as GosNIIOKhT, which was involved in the development of Novichoks.

The employee, Leonard Rink, told police he had been storing poisons in his garage and selling them to pay off debts."

Every day in every way the matter gets more confusing. and the official line less convincing.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Make sure the keep away from any Garages owned by the Russians in your area flecc!:cool:
And wear "Marigolds" You can't be too careful!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just when you think it can't get worse, the Cretin who is supposed to deal with foreign affairs opens his big mouth
This from the BBC
"
Spy poisoning: Russia stockpiling nerve agent, says Johnson"
Russia has been stockpiling the nerve agent used in the attack on an ex-spy and his daughter for a decade, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has said.

He also dismissed a suggestion by Russia's EU ambassador that the agent might have come from a UK laboratory.

Vladimir Chizhov had said the Porton Down lab in Wiltshire may have been the source of the substance."

Boris, do us all a big favour and leave the country: yesterday would be nice, but today will do.
Your job is to represent the interests of this country.
As far as I know that doesn't mean causing the cold war to start up again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Make sure the keep away from any Garages owned by the Russians in your area flecc!:cool:
No there's no risk, Russians are lovely people and I've often popped into the Russian restaurant opposite the Brompton Oratory for a bowl of the delicious Bortsch that only the Russians really know how to make.

If ever I do feel threatened by one, I'll just dangle a bottle of vodka in front of him. This transfixes them, rather like wind music does to a cobra.

Come to think of it, maybe that will be the next Russian dirty trick. Wiring up the cabinet room and playing wind music to the government's emergency Cobra committee.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Has anyone any idea of what the Government hope to achieve with this confrontation with Russia?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hilarious and in the Sun
"
IS PUTIN A PUPPET?
Russia is secretly being run by a ‘criminal gang’ which may now have more power than Vladimir Putin himself, exiled oligarch claims

Mikhail Khodorkovsky said the Russian president may not have been personally behind the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal in Salisbury, Wilts

Well now, what validity can be given to that lot?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hilarious and in the Sun
"
IS PUTIN A PUPPET?
Russia is secretly being run by a ‘criminal gang’ which may now have more power than Vladimir Putin himself, exiled oligarch claims

Mikhail Khodorkovsky said the Russian president may not have been personally behind the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal in Salisbury, Wilts

Well now, what validity can be given to that lot?
.. you will note that in my previous posts on this topic I used the word Russian interests. It seems unlikely but he could be a strawman.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Interesting snippets of information keep surfacing
This from the Independent
"
“Could somebody have smuggled something out?” said Amy Smithson, a chemical weapons expert at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies.

“I certainly wouldn’t rule that possibility out, especially a small amount and particularly in view of how lax the security was at Russian chemical facilities in the early 1990s.”

In 1995, a Russian banking magnate called Ivan Kivelidi and his secretary died from organ failure after being poisoned with a military grade toxin found on an office telephone.

A closed trial found that his business partner had obtained the substance via intermediaries from an employee of a state chemical research institute known as GosNIIOKhT, which was involved in the development of Novichoks.

The employee, Leonard Rink, told police he had been storing poisons in his garage and selling them to pay off debts."

Every day in every way the matter gets more confusing. and the official line less convincing.
Well that possibility was offered from the off which Russia chose to ignore....

"...either it was a direct act by the Russian state against our country, or the Russian government lost control of this potentially catastrophically damaging nerve agent and allowed it to get into the hands of others."

Experts from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) will arrive in the UK on Monday to test samples of the chemical.

That should keep Corbyn and Putin happy that procedures are being followed correctly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. you will note that in my previous posts on this topic I used the word Russian interests. It seems unlikely but he could be a strawman.
Some US presidents have been, other hands on the tiller behind the scenes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well that possibility was offered from the off which Russia chose to ignore....
Not surprising they'd ignore it, incriminating either way, making them either criminal or incompetent.

It's akin to the banned legal cross examionation traps, such as "When did you stop beating your wife".

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Has anyone any idea of what the Government hope to achieve with this confrontation with Russia?
Didn't you get the memo? You are leaving the EU and joining the Russian federation, this is just the smoke screen to justify them invading you. Next week... :D

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
He doesn't have the "excuse" of having had thyroid issues as a child.

(I prefer not to use that highly specific term as a general insult/disparagement.)
the dictionary gives the word a dual meaning
And comments like Boris's can backfire big time
Britain depends on supplies from Russia.
And Russia isn’t afraid to suddenly cut off gas supplies.
Putin previously cut off gas to Europe by about 60%, which sparked an energy crisis on the continent.

It is believed he made the rash decision after his orders to invade neighbouring Georgia in 2008 were swiftly condemned by the international community.

Advertisers