Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Heathrow would still need more runways to cope with the important traffic times. Atlanta in the USA isn't exactly a centre of commerce but it is a hub airport. It has seven runways.

That and many other locations worldwide put Heathrow into perspective. It has wholly inadequate runway facilities for one of the western world's most important hub airports.

We really need to buck up our ideas in this country, we have a dated and broken down rail system and a pathetically inadequate and ill maintained road network.

Must our air travel facilities be just as bad? Couldn't we get just that one thing right, instead of scattering incoming passengers over hundreds of square miles, necessitating long interconnect road or rail journeys as we do at present?
It might not (dare I say it) be as much of a problem after Brexit......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It might not (dare I say it) be as much of a problem after Brexit......
I doubt that will make much difference. Heathrow is a hub for important through traffic which will continue unabated, as will tourism. London's near 9 millions are swollen by 22 million visitors each year, almost all arriving by air.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Does anyone know why Stansted is not used more. I am told that 40% of the traffic into Heathrow is freight. Surely freight would be better handled at Stansted,it would reduce traffic at M25 near Heathrow and I think they are proposing a new motorway from Cambridge to the M1-thus freight being carried north could avoid the M25.
Government seems to lack commonsense in everything at the moment.
Lets hope Boris gets kicked out at the next election.
KudosDave
I could never understand why the channel tunnel vehicle trains only travelled to Folkestone. It would appear to make so much sense to carry the vehicles to Watford, or Reading, or wherever for loading/unloading. I can't believe it isn't far more efficient than each vehicle being independently powered and driven. Seeing as the vehicles are already loaded and moving on these vast, capacious trains...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Heathrow would still need more runways to cope with the important traffic times. Atlanta in the USA isn't exactly a centre of commerce but it is a hub airport. It has seven runways.

That and many other locations worldwide put Heathrow into perspective. It has wholly inadequate runway facilities for one of the western world's most important hub airports.

We really need to buck up our ideas in this country, we have a dated and broken down rail system and a pathetically inadequate and ill maintained road network.

Must our air travel facilities be just as bad? Couldn't we get just that one thing right, instead of scattering incoming passengers over hundreds of square miles, necessitating long interconnect road or rail journeys as we do at present?
You appear to have signed up for quaint and old fashioned, that's what the tourists come for. :D

The US has worse rail and have you seen the pot holes in Boston? Hens nest capable of holding dozens of hens... When I have passed through Heathrow I have always thought of it as an airport where you get lots of exercise, you walk literally for miles from check in to the boarding gates. Well I did because each time the moving footpath thing seemed to be under maintenance. Lots of fun when you have a 10 minute inter connecting flight window... :eek:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And in the Express
"
EU kickstart CRUCIAL Brexit negotiations to decide Britain's WTO future
THE European Council has opened the door to the start of crucial post-Brexit negotiations with the World Trade Organisation over the United Kingdom’s trading future."

They apparently have decided "Taking back control" (wasn't that our line?) is necessary.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Independent
"
Trump says Harley-Davidson will be ‘taxed like never before’ after moving production from US
'A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them,' US president says

Except for the ones outside the USA you idiot!

When someone is as erratic and given to outbursts of temper like this man, he shows signs very like those of suffering from Dementia .

And yes, I do know what that is like, my poor wife has it and shows similar behaviour.

He really need to be properly assessed as to his mental health, in the interests of everyone.

Threatening to single out a single firm to heavily tax it reveals complete detachment from reality.
And his frequent use of double negatives is hardly the sort of language expected from a President of the United States, more indeed like the outbursts of a petulant teenager.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And in the Express
"
EU kickstart CRUCIAL Brexit negotiations to decide Britain's WTO future
THE European Council has opened the door to the start of crucial post-Brexit negotiations with the World Trade Organisation over the United Kingdom’s trading future."

They apparently have decided "Taking back control" (wasn't that our line?) is necessary.
that may turn out to be a good thing.
WTO option needs to be carefully assessed, if only to be eliminated.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I could never understand why the channel tunnel vehicle trains only travelled to Folkestone. It would appear to make so much sense to carry the vehicles to Watford, or Reading, or wherever for loading/unloading. I can't believe it isn't far more efficient than each vehicle being independently powered and driven. Seeing as the vehicles are already loaded and moving on these vast, capacious trains...
Around the turn of the millennium a new company was proposing a freight rail route from there, skirting around London's perimeter and heading into the Midlands and North. That could well have provided what you propose with huge benefits, but as ever in Britain, the Nimbys had their way and progress was killed once again, the company folding.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You appear to have signed up for quaint and old fashioned, that's what the tourists come for. :D

The US has worse rail and have you seen the pot holes in Boston? Hens nest capable of holding dozens of hens... When I have passed through Heathrow I have always thought of it as an airport where you get lots of exercise, you walk literally for miles from check in to the boarding gates. Well I did because each time the moving footpath thing seemed to be under maintenance. Lots of fun when you have a 10 minute inter connecting flight window... :eek:
Stansted thought of the future,the problem of airports is that adding more plane stands means the long walks back to the terminal.
Stansted with its underground rail system only needs to dig a longer tunnel and lay some more track to add stands.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I always thought that Boris Johnson looked like a clown but under the skin he was a bright bloke. But I have come to realise that he really is a clown.
Unfortunately his cabinet colleagues are out of the same mould so getting rid of him means more of the same.
Surprised that May has not sacked him,I dont think he could bring her down and he is an embarrassment to our country as foreign secretary.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Surprised that May has not sacked him,I dont think he could bring her down and he is an embarrassment to our country as foreign secretary.
that's precisely his strength.
nobody makes the nation laugh and cry like Boris.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
that's precisely his strength.
nobody makes the nation laugh and cry like Boris.
Boris is far from amusing, his choosing the champion the leave cause to further his own ambitions was an act of nothing less than treason.

It's a sad comment on the human condition that Mr Bendy Bananas wasn't treated as the utter menace he truly is, and people fell for his lies.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
and people fell for his lies.
they are usually half truths but when they come out of Boris' mouth, they entertain the masses at that's precisely what won him votes. Contrast that with Dominic Grieves. Nobody wants to be lectured to. Who would want to listen to Grieves when you have Boris?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
they are usually half truths but when they come out of Boris' mouth, they entertain the masses at that's precisely what won him votes. Contrast that with Dominic Grieves. Nobody wants to be lectured to. Who would want to listen to Grieves when you have Boris?
Why would any sane person trust a word Boris says?

Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Unusual stance for the Sun here
"
BOTCHED TAKEOFF
Theresa May accused of ‘fixing’ Heathrow third runway vote as damning environmental report to be published AFTER crucial Commons showdown

Climate change inquiry due to reveal surging emissions from the airport’s expansion means Brits will have to ditch petrol cars, gas cookers and central heating boilers to meet green targets

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why would any sane person trust a word Boris says?
you don't need to trust a salesman to buy his goods or vote for him.
You only need to trust the other guys less.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
https://granta.com/the-waste-land/

When you read this the brexit folly becomes much clearer. The UK has always had silly ideas, sometimes they are brilliant and improve things. Those are the rare ones unfortunately...

Advertisers