Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don’t think anything of the sort, I now that,

We in the UK are more restricted in what we can say or do, by law, than they are in the USA, we are a different country, we don’t have a first amendment.
But you seem to be saying that it is demeaning rather than against the (UK) law?

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It seems like the geniuses of the government's post-'brexit' planning' department are covering all bases should we indeed crash out of the EU without a deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/11/whitehalls-potty-plan-to-keep-ni-lights-on-if-no-brexit-deal

Tom

That potty plan seems all the more potty when taken in conjunction with this:

Underwater Pembrokeshire-Ireland cable 'for cheaper energy'
  • 13 July 2018
A 125-mile long electricity cable could be installed under the sea between Pembrokeshire and County Wexford in the Republic of Ireland.

The Greenlink Interconnector is designed to share energy between the National Grid and its Irish equivalent.

If Ireland and NI really do need the potty plan, how can they expect the Pembrokeshire to Ireland connector to continue working?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That potty plan seems all the more potty when taken in conjunction with this:

Underwater Pembrokeshire-Ireland cable 'for cheaper energy'
  • 13 July 2018
A 125-mile long electricity cable could be installed under the sea between Pembrokeshire and County Wexford in the Republic of Ireland.

The Greenlink Interconnector is designed to share energy between the National Grid and its Irish equivalent.

If Ireland and NI really do need the potty plan, how can they expect the Pembrokeshire to Ireland connector to continue working?
What's odd about that?. We already have a number of cross Irish channel links via Scotland and both Wales. The current is 2018 system is that Ireland has a single energy market. Suppliers both north and south offer to supply electricity and tender a price and quantity, for a short period of time .. I think 30 minutes . The grid operator Eirgrid agrees a price at the highest marginal cost it needs to pay in order to meet the expected demand. All tenders below that ceiling get the same price.. anyone with a higher tender price is excluded for that time window, although they can tender at the next auction. Tenders from the UK using the interconnectors are part of the market... So anyone putting in a very low tender price has a better chance of being selected , and as a bonus may get a higher price than they had bargained for.
How that process will survive a hard BREXIT is anyone's guess.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The blimp goes beyond free speech. It carries no message and addresses no specific policy or decision. It is simply an effigy intended to insult, humiliate and cause hurt. The fact that it is endorsed by The Clown Prince of London aggravates the situation.

If a group wishes to oppose Trump or protest against his presence in the U.K. they should do so via placards, PA systems, marches, media and other such routes.

Deliberate insult is not and never will be what free speech is about. The two are not compatible with each other.
Whether you agree or not there was a very clear message on the blimp. The message, for those who cannot deal in symbolism was. " Whatever your own self image might be, you come across as a spoilt brat of a child, who cannot be trusted to tell the truth and who engages in temper tantrums.".

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Whether you agree or not there was a very clear message on the blimp. The message, for those who cannot deal in symbolism was. " Whatever your own self image might be, you come across as a spoilt brat of a child, who cannot be trusted to tell the truth and who engages in temper tantrums.".
If anything that errs on the side of being generous!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Express
"
NO MORE Mr Nice Guy!' Farage vows to return to politics if May is not FORCED to STEP DOWN
NIGEL Farage called on Prime Minister Theresa May to step down over her alleged attempts to "overturn" the results of the Brexit referendum with her plans for a soft withdrawal from the European Union..

Oxymoron Alert...Oxymoron Alert! o_O

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And from the Independent
"
Russians tried to hack Clinton emails same day Trump publicly asked them to, says Russia probe indictment
'If Russia or China or any of those country gets those emails...I’d love to see them'

Mr Trump told reporters in at his Doral Golf Centre in Miami, he hoped the Russian hackers, said to have been behind the theft of the emails from the DNC which had embarrassed the Democrats, searched for Ms Clinton’s deleted emails.
“If they hacked, they probably have her 33,000 emails. I hope they do,” he said. “They probably have her 33,000 emails that she lost and deleted. You’d see some beauties, so we’ll see.”

He added: “Russia, if you are listening. I hope you are able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by the press.”
Asked if he was concerned that he was apparently encouraging Russia to spy on an American political party, he added: “It gives me no pause. If Russia or China or any of those country gets those emails, I’ve got to be honest with you, I’d love to see them.”

At the time, Ms Clinton’s campaign hit back angrily. “This has to be the first time that a major presidential candidate has actively encouraged a foreign power to conduct espionage against his political opponent,” it said.

“That’s not hyperbole. Those are just the facts. This has gone from being a matter of curiosity and a matter of politics to being a national security issue.”

Some of those in the Trump campaign suggested the candidate was merely joking.

How can anyone defend such a dangerous fool as him?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And yesterday the world's most powerful nut job excelled himself, managing to state that a filed interview he gave was "Fake News"
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-theresa-may-chequers-us-president-brexit-nato-eu-europe-a8446026.html

And reversing the message
"Whether the president knew the severity of what he was doing in his interview with The Sun, when he told Theresa May she had ruined the Brexit negotiations, and a US trade deal was off the table," is the key subject of much debate.
to become
"
The special relationship had been elevated to “the highest level of special” and as the prime minister stood there and grimaced for almost a full hour, the president made her fall in love all over again by pushing her under every available bus that came by.

He had, he said, tried to apologise for the interview last night, and was told by Theresa May, “Don’t worry, it’s only the press.” The press laughed. They won’t forget that quickly.

This man is a danger to everyone on the planet
The original "loose cannon"

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How that process will survive a hard BREXIT is anyone's guess.
What is odd is that it seems to be going ahead whilst we are planning for NI to be disconnected from Ireland. Isn't it rather unlikely that NI would be disconnected while a connection to Wales carried on?

I agree - how it will survive brexit is very uncertain.

From where we are, I'd be surprised if the major spending starts whilst such uncertainty is still around. Seems likely quite a number of projects will be deferring final decisions.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That must have been in the small print written next to "only for children".

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And reversing the message
Some people see Trump's outrageous inconsistency as a tool he uses to out others off balance and force behaviours that he wishes to elicit.

Others point out that it makes it very difficult for accusations to stick because each and every time his actions/statements/tweets are held up to ridicule or criticism, he and his defenders can find an opposite thing to hold up as some sort of defence.

I see it as making him impossible to deal with. That includes making a deal with as much as seeing how to handle him.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Some people see Trump's outrageous inconsistency as a tool he uses to out others off balance and force behaviours that he wishes to elicit.
some call his tactics cheating and lying.
he'd call it 'too brutal for the other side'
untrustworthy I'd call it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Trump tells lies and manipulates the truth? We are used to better behaviour than that. Ours are so trustworthy.
there used to be a line between comedians and politicians, comedians and journalists. People know that what comedians say on the TV is pure fiction and they expect better from politicians and journalists.
With Donald Trump and Boris Johnson, when they speak, you don't know if you are watching a comedian or a politician and they do that on purpose, mixing the two, entertain you and lie to you at the same time. As long as the majority laugh with them, there is a danger that they'll vote for them, not for their policies but for their entertaining value.
If you give them power, there is no way to predict what they are going to do with it.

Last edited:

Advertisers