Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In fairness it would be nice to see what they would find if they tried investigating all politicians at Westminster!
At least Corbyn was doing something by making trips, whereas Theresa May, in 2004, 2011 and 2013 listed interests of importance to her vanity rather than politics.

MAY, Theresa (Maidenhead)

4. Sponsorship or financial or material support
Design and maintenance of website free of charge by Web Design by Russell Brown Ltd.

5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK)
Honorary life membership for self and spouse of Maidenhead Conservative Club.

10. Miscellaneous and unremunerated interests
Receipt of a discount card on the purchase of shoes from Russell and Bromley, which has the potential to be of registrable value.

MAY, Rt Hon Theresa (Maidenhead)
11. Miscellaneous
Receipt of a discount card from Hobbs Ltd, which has the potential to be of registrable value.
Receipt of a discount card from L.K. Bennett, which has the potential to be of registrable value.

MAY, Rt Hon Theresa (Maidenhead)
11. Miscellaneous
Receipt of a discount card from Russell and Bromley, which has the potential to be of registrable value. Expires end December 2012. (Registered 12 April 2012)
Receipt of a discount card from Amanda Wakeley, which has the potential to be of registrable value. Expires end February 2013. (Registered 12 April 2012)

Ooops, her website might have some political relevance. But shoes are obviously of greater importance.

Adding:
10 September 2018
May, Mrs Theresa (Maidenhead)
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK sources
On 14 September 2016, in my capacity as Leader of the Conservative Party, I accepted Honorary Membership for life of the Carlton Club. (Registered 20 September 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
From 19 August 2017, flat in central London, owned jointly with my husband: (i) and (ii). (Registered 23 October 2017)
8. Miscellaneous
Receipt of a discount card from Amanda Wakeley, which has the potential to be of registrable value. (Registered 20 May 2013; updated 7 June 2015)
Receipt of a discount card from LK Bennett, valid May 2017 to April 2018, which has the potential to be of registrable value. (Registered 05 September 2017)
Receipt of a discount card from Russell and Bromley, valid January to December 2018, which has the potential to be of registrable value. (Registered 31 July 2017; updated 12 June 2018)

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
However I still cling to the faint hope that parliament will come to it's senses sufficiently to stop the Brexit process with a new referendum on the Brexit outcome.
I'd be content if it came to its senses without a referendum - any such referendum merely being to seal it.

This suggestion, though, is predicated on the idea that parliament has sense and much evidence seems to deny that.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Reactions: oldgroaner

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I know this is purely anecdotal but thought I would mention it anyway. I usually go to a barber in my local village but she is away on holiday. So I went to one in a local town that I perhaps go to once a year or so.

The barber started to chat about Brexit which surprised me as she had never talked about politics before. She told me she doesn't know much about Brexit but she had voted for leave, as had her husband and most of her friends and most of her customers.

She then said she wish she had voted to remain and would like to see another referendum. If there was one she would vote to say in as would her husband and most of the people who had told her they had voted to leave.

The reason she and most of the people she knows voted to leave was really simple. It was only to do with immigration, she thought by staying in we were going to be flooded with immigrants.

She said if she had known then how complicated it was all going to be and how scary things might become she would never have voted leave.

Now this is just one person telling me this, but she must come into contact with a lot of people over say the course of a month or two. If most of the people she knows who voted leave would now vote to remain, I wonder if this pattern is repeating itself across the country.

BTW her barbers is nothing fancy its not the kind of place you go for a £50 hair cut. To give you some idea she charges just £5 for a trim, and her customers are just down to earth types.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To give you some idea she charges just £5 for a trim, and her customers are just down to earth types.
they charge £10 for a 10 minutes trim in Southend.
Most barber shops are staffed by EU immigrants.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The reason she and most of the people she knows voted to leave was really simple. It was only to do with immigration, she thought by staying in we were going to be flooded with immigrants.
We remainers have always known that immigrants were the main reason for the Leave vote, simple racism, but Brexiters have always furiously disputed that with their customary substitution of belief for evidence.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought Theresa May's accusation that the EU had shown a lack of respect was totally unjustified, considering the scale of the disrespect we've shown the EU for over 40 years.

Such things as disagreeing with almost every EU measure, demanding special terms and exceptions, fighting for rebates, refusal to accept EU court's rulings, refusing to honour cross border open trading on such things as cigarettes and drink, speaking of EU immigrants as if they were undesirables and making no real effort to join the eurozone.

And all that is without mentioning Nigel Farage's disgracefully rude performances in the European Parliament.

It is we who owe the EU countries a profuse and unreserved apology for the last 40 years of our disrespectful behaviour.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I reckon it's just a show for the public.
She will announce plan B at the end of the month at the Conservative Conference in Birmingham.
Then plan C in the third week of October.
That's the real plan for an eventual deal. It'll all depends if she can persuade the DUP to accept some fudging.

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It'll all depends if she can persuade the DUP to accept some fudging.
Some hope!

There is of course a simple answer to the Irish border issue that no-one seems to have thought of.

Given the constant trouble that Northern Ireland has been to us and the seeming impossibility of them governing themselves consistently, immediately summarily expel Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom, leaving them an independent country.

Then there wouldn't be a border problem with regard to our UK EU departure and they'd damn well have to get back into Stormont and govern themselves.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Some hope!

There is of course a simple answer to the Irish border issue that no-one seems to have thought of.

Given the constant trouble that Northern Itreland has been to us and the seeming impossibility of them governing themselves consistently, immediately summarily expel Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom, leaving them an independent country.

Then there wouldn't be a border problem with regard to our UK EU departure and they'd damn well have to get back into Stormont and govern themselves.
in that case, the island will be reunited and maybe half a million Northern Irish would settle here.
It would also prompt Scotland to secede.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
in that case, the island will be reunited and maybe half a million Northern Irish would settle here.
It would also prompt Scotland to secede.
Probably, and a sensible outcome all round. It could mean only the two countries that voted to leave the EU actually leaving.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Some hope!

Given the constant trouble that Northern Itreland has been to us and the seeming impossibility of them governing themselves consistently, immediately summarily expel Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom, leaving them an independent country.

.. And you think we have not thought of that?. That option is or was in the UKs gift, until the GFA, now it is not. In the event of a UDI ..by the UK, it would immediately be in breach of the international agreement, there would be major disquiet in Canada and Scotland.
In any event the orphaned province..not country, not even a full province, would seek to rejoin the remainder of the island, a situation it has not enjoyed for 95 years ,and on joining, would immediately be welcomed back into the EU.. as was Eastern Germany, some 30 years ago.Ireland would honour the terms of the GFA,and would not take possession, without the consent of the majority in NI. Ireland would seek EU structural funding to correct the deficits created by a hundred years of landlordism, tax the now absentee landowners, ensure that the rights of a citizen in a modern democratic Republic are enjoyed by all .
A huge bonus to the UK establishment, is that the wasted votes of SF MPs ,would no longer exist.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Probably, and a sensible outcome all round. It could mean only the two countries that voted to leave the EU actually leaving.
My referendum vote was in England but any future vote, if there is one, would be in Wales. Would that tip the balance and make it just England wanting to leave? :):)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. And you think we have not thought of that?. That option is or was in the UKs gift, until the GFA, now it is not. In the event of a UDI ..by the UK, it would immediately be in breach of the international agreement, there would be major disquiet in Canada and Scotland.
In any event the orphaned province..not country, not even a full province, would seek to rejoin the remainder of the island, a situation it has not enjoyed for 95 years ,and on joining, would immediately be welcomed back into the EU.. as was Eastern Germany, some 30 years ago.Ireland would honour the terms of the GFA,and would not take possession, without the consent of the majority in NI. Ireland would seek EU structural funding to correct the deficits created by a hundred years of landlordism, tax the now absentee landowners, ensure that the rights of a citizen in a modern democratic Republic are enjoyed by all .
A huge bonus to the UK establishment, is that the wasted votes of SF MPs ,would no longer exist.
As I said, a sensible outcome all round.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My referendum vote was in England but any future vote, if there is one, would be in Wales. Would that tip the balance and make it just England wanting to leave? :):)
It was close in Wales, but I don't think that close!

But in a new referendum Wales would probably vote Remain, even without your vote.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A lot of us up here want a second referendum as well. We'll worry about a second brexit referendum after that. ;)
If the outcome of a second local referendum was independence, you wouldn't need a second Brexit referendum. You'd no doubt be remaining in the EU with the EU accepting that after a bit of hassle about the currency you'd use. The euro, the pound or a new one of your own.

Advertisers