Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite simply essential services such as the Steel and Aluminium Manufacture, Railways, Water, Gas and Electricity , and Waste Disposal are fundamental to the continued existence of our society and should never be in private hands subject to profiteering.
Totally agree, privatisation of these essentials for the welfare of a state and it's citizens is sheer madness. It's an example of how the corrupting power of money can overcome rationality in favour of greed.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Daily Excess Today
"
Nasa's 'buildings on moon cover up’: New evidence emerges over 'alien truth'"
And they had a Poll and the result ? 55% think NASA did cover up alien presence on the Moon.
Curiously close to the Brexit referendum result, must say something succinct about their readership!

Reactions: trex and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
big trouble for the Pound this week.
It just dipped below $1.30 again.
Clearly, the world thinks that the BoE shoots blanks.
what we really need is some direction.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Clearly, the world thinks that the BoE shoots blanks.
what we really need is some direction.
I don't think the BoE can help, pumping in money won't impress. The world is making the sensible judgement that Brexit means an inevitable continuous decline for a long period at least.

The only chance of getting any stability is the government making a positive statement on what we are doing and the way we will do it, allowing the world to settle on the outcome they see from that position.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Peugeot raises UK prices to weather Brexit fallout
Sterling prices were increased this month by all three company brands - Peugeot, Citroen and upscale DS - to defend profit margins on cars priced in pounds, a spokeswoman for the French carmaker said, confirming a report in Automotive News.

PSA declined to give a detailed breakdown of the pricing changes, which include a 2.8 percent increase on the list price of a Peugeot 308 compact hatchback, according to the trade publication.

The carmaker and domestic rival Renault are among manufacturers that have warned of repercussions for sales and prices in the wake of the Brexit vote, which sent the pound to a 30-year low in June.

Arndt Ellinghorst, an analyst with brokerage Evercore ISI, said PSA appeared to be "testing the water", with bigger UK price rises likely to follow across the industry.

"The seemingly small move by PSA is clearly insufficient to offset the currency move," he said in a note on Wednesday.

The goodness is flowing ?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Prudential considers shifting funds to Dublin, Luxembourg
Insurer Prudential (PRU.L) could shift more funds from its asset management business to Dublin or Luxembourg to maintain access to the European Union's single market after Britain's vote to leave the bloc, its asset management boss said on Wednesday.

Ah well, never mind eh?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
After speaking to some people who know I was actively involved in the 'Remain' campaign in the eastern home counties, many who voted out are now rather worried by some of the events of recent weeks.

There seems to be some kind of denial and a shifting of blame going on with many claiming they were ill-informed by the 'Leave' campaign spokespeople. Several have said to me that while they believed we could manage perfectly well outside of the EU, nobody actually told them in any detail how it would affect currency value, (just booked up for Spain), prices on the supermarket shelves and white goods, cars, etc.

We are only now just beginning to see the effects of sterling's reduced purchasing power on imported goods and I reckon it's the tip of the iceberg, I'm sad to say. With the news from the French motor industry, one suspects that all those dealerships purveying the French car brands will see a slowdown on business, particularly in their fleet sales. Any business failures resulting from that will have a domino effect within their geographical area.

As far as the 'British' car industry is concerned, the worst may be still to come as Nissan are keeping their powder dry on their future business plans for their British plant. Clearly, unless there is some really good news just around the corner for business, a few more months of this lingering uncertainty may well influence the Japanese carmakers to migrate their British divisions into a more stable EU low-wage, low business overhead economy.

There were so many people who seemed incapable of differentiating between EU policies and British government policy and legislation at the time of the referendum, misled and blatantly lied to by fascists, that frankly, now deserve to suffer any hardship this country incurs as a result of their ignorance and lack of foresight. Unfortunately, they also bring any pain and suffering upon their fellow countrymen who could see the bigger picture.

This modern society, of course, demands that someone has to be at fault; someone must be to blame for any ills that come our way. I just wonder how long it will take for the penny to drop that any policy which renders Britain's currency devalued against others, splits the population and possibly leads to the break-up of the 4-country union is not good for Britain; not good for the economy; not good for business......all expressions which, in the positive, have been frequently disseminated to the public by tory spokesmen and business moguls and of course it is just one huge lie - it simply means it's good for billionaire owners and a very select few with absolutely no 'trickle-down' to those who actually work for a living and pay taxes via PAYE.

There seems to be some kind of perverse justification from some I listened to, suggesting that other countries are now queuing up to do what Britain has just done. I don't buy that for a moment; it's sheer desperation for support, using the headlines and mis-reporting from a tory-controlled media which favoured 'Brexit' all along and now wishes to save face when it's not going as planned.....although 'planned' is the wrong word. In any event, Britain hasn't actually 'done' anything yet!

Of course there are right-wing extremists in other European countries, as everywhere, and they are represented by clowns just like Johnson and Farage but unless I completely mis-read the political situation across the EU, those movements are going nowhere, in spite of the best efforts of the tory media organs in the UK.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to hedge my bets in regard to the future as I own property abroad, pay the requisite taxes and can live there full-time if I so desire. The next few months....maybe even years, should be interesting!

Tom

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
After speaking to some people who know I was actively involved in the 'Remain' campaign in the eastern home counties, many who voted out are now rather worried by some of the events of recent weeks.

There seems to be some kind of denial and a shifting of blame going on with many claiming they were ill-informed by the 'Leave' campaign spokespeople. Several have said to me that while they believed we could manage perfectly well outside of the EU, nobody actually told them in any detail how it would affect currency value, (just booked up for Spain), prices on the supermarket shelves and white goods, cars, etc.

We are only now just beginning to see the effects of sterling's reduced purchasing power on imported goods and I reckon it's the tip of the iceberg, I'm sad to say. With the news from the French motor industry, one suspects that all those dealerships purveying the French car brands will see a slowdown on business, particularly in their fleet sales. Any business failures resulting from that will have a domino effect within their geographical area.

As far as the 'British' car industry is concerned, the worst may be still to come as Nissan are keeping their powder dry on their future business plans for their British plant. Clearly, unless there is some really good news just around the corner for business, a few more months of this lingering uncertainty may well influence the Japanese carmakers to migrate their British divisions into a more stable EU low-wage, low business overhead economy.

There were so many people who seemed incapable of differentiating between EU policies and British government policy and legislation at the time of the referendum, misled and blatantly lied to by fascists, that frankly, now deserve to suffer any hardship this country incurs as a result of their ignorance and lack of foresight. Unfortunately, they also bring any pain and suffering upon their fellow countrymen who could see the bigger picture.

This modern society, of course, demands that someone has to be at fault; someone must be to blame for any ills that come our way. I just wonder how long it will take for the penny to drop that any policy which renders Britain's currency devalued against others, splits the population and possibly leads to the break-up of the 4-country union is not good for Britain; not good for the economy; not good for business......all expressions which, in the positive, have been frequently disseminated to the public by tory spokesmen and business moguls and of course it is just one huge lie - it simply means it's good for billionaire owners and a very select few with absolutely no 'trickle-down' to those who actually work for a living and pay taxes via PAYE.

There seems to be some kind of perverse justification from some I listened to, suggesting that other countries are now queuing up to do what Britain has just done. I don't buy that for a moment; it's sheer desperation for support, using the headlines and mis-reporting from a tory-controlled media which favoured 'Brexit' all along and now wishes to save face when it's not going as planned.....although 'planned' is the wrong word. In any event, Britain hasn't actually 'done' anything yet!

Of course there are right-wing extremists in other European countries, as everywhere, and they are represented by clowns just like Johnson and Farage but unless I completely mis-read the political situation across the EU, those movements are going nowhere, in spite of the best efforts of the tory media organs in the UK.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to hedge my bets in regard to the future as I own property abroad, pay the requisite taxes and can live there full-time if I so desire. The next few months....maybe even years, should be interesting!

Tom
I dont really mind the financial impact either,in part because I feel as an African that I can live a pretty good life on relatively little in Europe. But generally we talk here as if there will be a happy ending,an EU that accepts a still intact UK back into the fold after a rough patch. I think that could not happen (why would the EU want a disruptive xenophobic UK back),then once the economy tanks properly a rapid dissolution of the union,then in the crap aftermath more far right racism. It could all get very ugly and quite terminal

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Daily Excess this morning
"
BREXIT BLACKMAIL: Accept unlimited migration or NO free trade, says EU nations
EUROPEAN countries including Germany, Portugal and the Czech Republic are intent on making the UK continue to accept unlimited EU migration as the price for access to free trade with Europe."

How are we ever going to negotiate a sensible deal when the papers use words like "Blackmail"?
Don't they understand the use of the word "Condition"?
Don't these Brexit Fans understand who will be setting the terms of our exit?
Can they really believe we can make demands?
And here is just one readers so diplomatic comments
""FREE " trade is hardly free when it comes at the cost of absorbing more
f i l t h into this country."
Brexit not racist eh?
The real question of course is what purpose is there behind this paper's continuous hate campaign?

• Agree
Reactions: trex and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Again from the Daily Excess
"
Businesses and banks are 'talking DOWN the economy to justify their Brexit warnings'
BUSINESSES and banks were today accused of talking down the economy in a bid to vindicate their pre-referendum disaster warnings about Brexit - and fleece consumers."

Sir Bernard Ingham, Margaret Thatcher’s tough-talking former press secretary, hit out at commerce and the City for “exploiting” ordinary people as he called for “a more responsible capitalism”.

He used his regular Yorkshire Post column to lash out at finance firms who took customers “for a ride” with high charges for managing their cash - something he had personally experienced.

He urged the “money men ... if they could spare time from trying to make Brexit the disaster they forecast” to understand the growing political consensus in the Tory party as well as Labour against their “excesses ... and unbridled capitalism".
He went on: “But it is not just the City but both industry and commerce that employ every wile to part the consumer from his money to maximise their profits.

“With notable exceptions, most of them are now, post-Brexit, engaged in talking down the economy."

In the words of Aneurin Bevan oh so long ago

"The Tories, every election, must have a bogy man. If you haven't got a programme, a bogy man will do.

Reactions: trex and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Daily Mail
The number of finance jobs available in London drops by 27% in a year as the Brexit fallout takes a toll
  • Number of London finance jobs available down 12% in a month
  • Year-on-year, job adverts in the sector are down 27%, data suggests"
Coincidence of course.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And a little comedy for a change in the Telegraph
"
Nuclear espionage charge for China firm with one-third stake in UK's Hinkley Point
China General Nuclear Power, and engineer Allen Ho, allegedly conspired to develop nuclear material without US approval
The Chinese company with a major stake in the proposed Hinkley Point C nuclear power station has been charged by the US government over nuclear espionage, according to the US justice department.

In a 17-page indictment, the US government said nuclear engineer Allen Ho, employed by the China General Nuclear Power Company, and the company itself had unlawfully conspired to develop nuclear material in China without US approval and “with the intent to secure an advantage to the People’s Republic of China”.

An agreement based on Mutual Trust, eh?
ROFLMAO

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Tom
The so called REGREXIT is myth.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
From the Daily Mail
The number of finance jobs available in London drops by 27% in a year as the Brexit fallout takes a toll.
How can the affect of something which hasn't happened yet be reported on?

The BREXIT vote was only two months ago, how can its affect over the past 12 months be known?

How can the affect of something which hasn't happened yet be reported on?

The BREXIT vote was only two months ago, how can its affect over the past 12 months be known?
the effect of the vote, is what people are reporting on... the effect of "actual" brexit can't be predicted yet because no one has a clue what it will look like.

If we're out of the single market, it'll be a lot worse that if we're not for instance.

Also I think you'll find... they are comparing the jobs figures with 1 month ago and saying its down 12% on last month. Then the 27% is the drop comparing this July to last July, meaning its down 27% year on year. They are not comparing a 12 month period.

• Agree
Reactions: trex and flecc
Pretty much all the UK cycle industry distributors have now been forced to put their prices up. I'm sure you've read about Raleigh doing it, but emails from others have gone out in recent days: Paligap , Velobrands , Bob Elliot and 2Pure already, and of course there is the whooping increase to Shimano pricing .

10% seems to be the minimum increase , Schwalbe has gone up by 17%!!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The BoE should be shooting live rounds and the first shot should be straight between Carney's eyes.
who do you think should replace Carney? and could that person have done any different?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
the effect of the vote, is what people are reporting on... the effect of "actual" brexit can't be predicted yet because no one has a clue what it will look like.

If we're out of the single market, it'll be a lot worse that if we're not for instance.

Also I think you'll find... they are comparing the jobs figures with 1 month ago and saying its down 12% on last month. Then the 27% is the drop comparing this July to last July, meaning its down 27% year on year. They are not comparing a 12 month period.
I'm referring to the article, which says the number of jobs dropped by 12% in twelve months due to BREXIT. This is worded in the past tense, implying that it has already happened. Of course, this is impossible because (1)we have not exired yet and (2) the decision to leave was only taken two months ago.

This is the equivalent of saying that my electricity bills over the past 12 months increased dramatically because from tomorrow onwards, I intend to leave my oven permanently switched on. It's just a load of nonsense!

Advertisers