Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The EU parliament/bureaucracy is seen as surplus to requirements.

One of the things the British don't like is to be patted on the head and told: "We know best, you just don't understand."
The first sentence illustrates that they don't understand.

It's big boys world now, and we need to be part of one of them. It doesn't have to be the EU though, but that just happens to be a convenient local one and one of the biggest.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG
I am not spinning anything, merely reporting things that I have seen on other forums.
And, as a conservative, I should object to the ready assumption about 'rabid right wingers'
As far as I can see, the hard left wing 'Spend, spend, spend' nutters are far more of a menace
Since there has never been a"rabid left wing" government in your lifetime, only conservative one's, you are mistaken.
The last time we had a left wing government was at the end of the second world war, all since have been simply teams playing the same game in different colours.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since there has never been a"rabid left wing" government in your lifetime, only conservative one's, you are mistaken.
The last time we had a left wing government was at the end of the second world war, all since have been simply teams playing the same game in different colours.
Indeed, so-called labour governments since have been moderate liberal or pseudo conservative. Recognising this truth, Tony Blair even had the sense to give his brand of conservatism a name, New Labour.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
More patronising from remainers.

Only an idiot would think voting leave would do a lot, or even very much, to reduce immigration.

Easy to say the millions who voted leave are all idiotic racists, but that is not the case.

In a sample that enormous, there's bound to be many ordinary, decent people who formed their view for a wide variety of reasons.

If it was only knuckle-dragging racists who voted leave, remain would have won by a huge margin.
Well done ! you have insulted the majority of brexit supporters ![emoji1]
Not because they are racist, but because they genuinely believed that immigration would be virtually halted.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
To adequately do that, I would have to undertake the impossible task of interviewing a large sample of leave voters.

For what it's worth, my gut feeling is leave voters in general had had enough of EU meddling - an impression many will have formed over many years.

I believe the British generally favour small government, we already have elected local councils and a national parliament.

We are also not short of various local and national bodies and government departments and agencies to take care of administration and regulation.

The patronising tone of the remain campaign cannot have helped.

One of the things the British don't like is to be patted on the head and told: "We know best, you just don't understand."

Add that little lot together and you have what we got - a majority in favour of kicking the EU into the long grass.
Actually a small majority which by now may not exist.
Or of course could have attracted more as you put it "knuckle draggers" to the cause because extreme attitudes are now in vogue in the rabid right wing press.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and trex

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The first sentence illustrates they they don't understand.

It's big boys world now, and we need to be part of one of them. It doesn't have to be the EU though, but that just happens to be a convenient local one and one of the biggest.
It's a shame you cannot post your opinion - second paragraph - without the patronising 'they don't understand' remark.

But it does serve to illustrate the general attitude of remainers.

They got well beat, but still cannot grasp that patronising and irritating others will only serve to entrench their opposing view, not alter it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
KTM
What is unreasonable about that quote?
What evidence is there that the person making it is not a decent person?
Fair question.

The points about pressure on the NHS and the education system are no more than factual.

Repatriation is a step too far for most people, but it's obvious we cannot keep on adding to the population at the rate we are.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you seem to confirm that brexit leaders were content that the opposition did all the work for them and indeed, most of their supporters don't need to understand the argument.
Now the ball is in their hands, will they come up with some idea what to do next or will they wait for their opposition to do all the work again?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The points about pressure on the NHS and the education system are no more than factual.

factual? that these are the result of the financial crisis, Osborne was using tax money paid by new immigrants to reduce the budget deficit rather than invest into increasing public resources to cope with increasing population.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
To adequately do that, I would have to undertake the impossible task of interviewing a large sample of leave voters.

For what it's worth, my gut feeling is leave voters in general had had enough of EU meddling - an impression many will have formed over many years.

I believe the British generally favour small government, we already have elected local councils and a national parliament.

We are also not short of various local and national bodies and government departments and agencies to take care of administration and regulation.

The patronising tone of the remain campaign cannot have helped.

Add that little lot together and you have what we got - a majority in favour of kicking the EU into the long grass.
that sounds a good description and probably true - perhaps with significcant anti establishment feelings following years of austerity, loss of services, disability benefits etc while observing the pay of executives and MP's soar. But - frankly - it's not good enough. most remain voters were also unhappy with the EU. It takes a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the british economy and the world - as well as i'm afraid to say some disturbing knuckle dragging ideas about immigration and human rights - to have voted leave. if one thought it would deliver a happy locally governed flourishing UK one probably deserves whats coming.

KTM
What is unreasonable about that quote?

What evidence is there that the person making it is not a decent person?
I didn't think I'd need to highlight the issues with the quote but here goes.:

"We need to get out of the EU quickly the sooner the better and send all these immigrants back where they came from close our borders now before the NHS actually goes bankrupt schools and infrastructure are also under pressure there are still thousands in that camp in Calaise and thousands still pouring into Italy most of whom want to come here we are sending out all the wrong signals the longer we stay in this disfunctional club"

Its proven that EU immigrants actually contribute to the economy, and in many chases they are actually whats keeping the NHS running. So the need to "close our borders" isn't there, it simply isn't going to happen and isn't something that I feel any "decent person" would suggest.

The fact he thinks "most" refugees want to come here is wild. The fact he thinks that leaving the EU will stop the people in Calais coming to the UK is bizarre. Clearly us being in the EU or not has no impact on them... because they're already not able to come to the UK, hence why they are camping in Calais, not London!

IMHO anyone who uses the phrase "send them all back" is not a decent person.

Does that clear it up?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's a shame you cannot post your opinion - second paragraph - without the patronising 'they don't understand' remark.

They got well beat, but still cannot grasp that patronising and irritating others will only serve to entrench their opposing view, not alter it.
The degree of the majority was in now way "well beat at 4%" for such an important step a far more emphatic majority is needed to avoid a permanent split in public opinion on the matter.
You are mistaken if you imagine that the huge numbers of leave voters ever even hear of the "patronising and irritating" as you describe it attitude of those who voted to remain.
By now most are more concerned about some celebrities latest scandal, or the Olympics.
But be aware they most certainly will hear of it and more when and if things both financially and politically start go badly wrong.
And then it really will not matter what the present attitude of the leave voters is will it? how many do you imagine will remain on-side if things go badly wrong?
Frankly as a remain voter, I can't say that I care much whether the things I say "entrench your opposing view" as I regard the decision you made as misguided, wrong and damaging to the nation's future, including your own.
I am 73 and my future is not one I worry too much about , after Cancer it isn't likely to be a long term problem anyway, but my concern is for my family.
That makes it a justifiable target for criticism, and that will not change.
The only thing that will change it is if Brexit proves that my viewpoint is mistaken and yours was correct.
Till then...all you have going as an argument is wishful thinking and resentment that others question your judgement.
And what do the Remain side have?
The same resentment for the other side's action, and the knowledge we have exchanged a sure thing for the future for the biggest gamble this country has ever taken on the basis of lies and misrepresented vague promises.
Time to invoke article 50 and let the action begin!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The reiteration was necessary to making my point.

They got well beat,
No we didn't, the result was marginal, just either side of 50/50, perhaps that's something the Brexiters don't seem able to grasp?

I'm not trying to change any minds, since I'm content that Brexiters embarrassment will inexorably increase as the consequences of exiting grow over time. One day you may not have any straws left to clutch at.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
OG
In a way I agree with you.
I too am 73, grand children etc.
Just that I am on Gillian Duffy's side.
Gordon Brown would probably call me a bigot, but he lived in the London bubble and obviously did not have the faintest idea of how so many others thought.
He lost.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Pound has another bad day.
Down to $1.28 now.
and that's before we give notice to leave.

Parity with the Euro isn't far off.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The reiteration was necessary to making my point.

No we didn't, the result was marginal, just either side of 50/50, perhaps that's something the Brexiters don't seem able to grasp?

I'm not trying to change any minds, since I'm content that Brexiters embarrassment will inexorably increase as the consequences of exiting grow over time. One day you may not have any straws left to clutch at.
You got beat, it's that simple.

The only straw clutching going on is remainers clinging to their 'marginal' defeat.

I wouldn't mind a penny for every person on that particular margin.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the point is, most brexiters did not think they are going to win.
people will soon find out how much brexit is going to cost them.
it's simple enough: the more money you have, the more you lose.
apparently, brexit can be reversed after the next general election.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
the Pound has another bad day.
Down to $1.28 now.
and that's before we give notice to leave.
Do you honestly think our 'notice to leave' will come as any surprise to the currency speculators?

Only in the fevered imaginations of remainers is exit in any doubt, and even a lot of them are beginning to grasp what a referendum result means.

Although no doubt they will forever feel a crushing sense of injustice because the great unwashed had the temerity to disagree with them.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
You got beat, it's that simple.

The only straw clutching going on is remainers clinging to their 'marginal' defeat.

I wouldn't mind a penny for every person on that particular margin.
It's not a contest. To a point were all in the same boat. There's a brutal reality out there that busy savagely punishing the UK economy for the decision to leave the EU. That isnt going to stop. It's also not only financial: as the UK economy goes into recession, and inflation goes up, and the tax base shrinks, so will public services. The real victims of the decision to leave are not the relatively affluent ebikers on this forum, it's the poor in the UK, who will see more price rises, benefits being withdrawn, public services being cut. They are the ones who will be clutching at straws and those who voted leave should feel ashamed or guilty for causing this.

Advertisers