Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If you want a good chuckle read the Daily Express outrage at the EU forming it's own army, they are terrified that the Americans will as they quaintly put it "Defund NATO"
Let's think about that: Brexit means that the EU army we could have prevented and Vetoed will come into being.
And if the EU does develop a powerful army, what do we want NATO for anyway?
The Russians will have to come through the EU army to get to us.
Finally why would they bother, unless it is to deliver humanitarian aid to us as we will be no threat and not worth invading anyway.

It's really rather comic that everything Brexit is supposed to achieve somehow morphs into being the opposite of what was originally intended.
Lets recap what it has achieved so far. Even without anything really happening.
  • The Population is split down the middle and the pro Brexit half imagines that the other half is happy with that.
  • The pound is down and prices of imports are rising.
  • Our influence in the world is falling day on day
  • May has had to Grovel to the Chinese over Hinckley Point
  • The three Brexiteers are, well does anyone one know what they do as it is so secret they don't know themselves.
  • Article 50 is stillborn which is rather unfortunate for all of us.
  • Effectively the EU have already thrown us out but keep taking our money
  • The Government have made it plain that taking back control of immigration means that they can disadvantage our own children by denying them the training for complex jobs because it's cheaper for companies to import fully trained outsiders,
  • But the good news is that they can have the menial jobs instead.
  • The Government has confirmed that some of the employment protections enjoyed while we are in the EU are to disappear.
  • The Eu is forming an army that we could have prevented and the future of NATO is now in doubt.
  • A European army of 27 Nations is potentially the biggest Military threat we have ever had to face
  • Parliament has been demoted to the point that it cannot operate because it has been overruled by an "Advisory referendum" for fear of a violent reaction if Brexit supporters don't get their own way. Are they ignoring the fact that there might be a similar reaction from the remain supporters as they are clearly too intelligent to react in that way, one wonders?
What a shame Ronnie Barker is dead, this would have made an all time great two Ronnies sketch! :confused:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: derf and trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes and no. More people voted to leave than to remain. That's a fact.

Then there are those who couldn't be arsed to vote one way are the other. Boo boo, they had their chance to have a say and didn't take it. I have no sympathy for them and dismiss their views out of hand.
Ever the epitome of the "milk of Human Kindness"
What style!
Perhaps they were more intelligent than the average Brexit voter and realised they were not well informed enough to come to a satisfactory conclusion?;)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
finally - after 241 pages we've all arrived at the point where we agree that "ignoring the outcome of the referendum will have favourable consequences". hallelujah, brothers.
Now you are "Doing a tillson!" you naughty boy!:rolleyes:

Reactions: derf

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Perhaps they were more intelligent than the average Brexit voter and realised they were not well informed enough to come to a satisfactory conclusion?;)
Or perhaps Judge Rinder had a particularly interesting case to preside over on polling day.

Hmmm vote, or stay in and watch Judge Rinder on the telly? Judge Rinder or EU? I guess The Judge won.

Or maybe The Judge wasn't a factor. Kyle could have been Chav Baiting that day and those closet remainers couldn't escape the gravity of the 55" flat screen.

As I say boo hoo, they've blown their chance. A bit like the, "young people" dripping about not having voted, but now wanting to have a go after the event.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Or perhaps Judge Rinder had a particularly interesting case to preside over on polling day.

Hmmm vote, or stay in and watch Judge Rinder on the telly? Judge Rinder or EU? I guess The Judge won.

Or maybe The Judge wasn't a factor. Kyle could have been Chav Baiting that day and those closet remainers couldn't escape the gravity of the 55" flat screen.

As I say boo hoo, they've blown their chance. A bit like the, "young people" dripping about not having voted, but now wanting to have a go after the event.
Very droll, but then it won't come as any surprise that large proportions of supporters of both sides are fans of the life style you portray.
If you recall I was expecting a much bigger majority for vote leave than actually happened on exactly the same grounds you expound.
It seems there are fewer of these people than I anticipated.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
So did I and all of it. Wasn't red brick by any chance was it? That would explain a great deal.
Bigger snob than the Smart rider.

• :D
Reactions: tillson

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
The UK is emphatically suffering an outburst of racism due to the Brexit result, the very sharp rise in racially motivated verbal and physical assaults nationally since the vote proving that.

I'm not surprised that Harlow murder was raised, just days later there was a similar vicious assault on two Polish men by a group of thugs in Harlow. This hints at a pattern of behaviour.
Are you saying that none of this is happening in Europe. They seem to be very good at burying such things. I don't think that the uk is a racist country no matter what garbage Juncker spouts, oh except for the Labour party with it's anti Semitic attacks.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Are you saying that none of this is happening in Europe. They seem to be very good at burying such things. I don't think that the uk is a racist country no matter what garbage Juncker spouts, oh except for the Labour party with it's anti Semitic attacks.
You do fall for the propaganda of the right wing papers don't you?

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You do fall for the propaganda of the right wing papers don't you?
No. There are racist attacks in the UK. That's been going on for a long time. Nothing to do with BREXIT though.

Why aren't we discussing attacks by Muslim gangs on white uk citizens? It works both ways and is equally unacceptable.

Keep stoking the fire OG.

• Disagree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No. There are racist attacks in the UK. That's been going on for a long time. Nothing to do with BREXIT though.

Why aren't we discussing attacks by Muslim gangs on white uk citizens? It works both ways and is equally unacceptable.

Keep stoking the fire OG.
I love the ingenious use of " truth" in that statement,(even though not strictly on topic)
Reminds me of Aneurin Bevan's famous line
"You tell me your truth, and I'll tell you mine."

Yes, there are indeed a terrible examples of racist violence from Muslims, heathens and so called Christians, no doubt Atheists too in this country.
And yes, this has been going on for a long time.

Nevertheless the statement that Racist attacks have nothing to do with Brexit is breathtakingly ingenuous and simply untrue.
Some are
Some are not.

May I remind you that we were not specifically discussing Racist attacks?
The assertion made by gray198 was
"I don't think that the uk is a racist country "

And with your usual panache you have spun that from being an opinion on national attitudes to being one of specific attacks by various races?
Well done, Spinmaster!
By the way, which fire would you like me to stoke?

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
First of all, I am not misquoting statistics. Those numbers that I quoted are the official results of the 2015 general election. So, my first question to you is prove that those statistics are wrong and that I have misquoted them. Otherwise apologise.

Like any other political party in the UK, the SNP could I have fielded a candid it in any constituency in the UK. The fact that they didn't is their business.

The fact remains that the SNP polled less votes in the United Kingdom General Election than UKIP, the liberal democrat's, and the Green Party, but had a perversely larger number of MPs in the United Kingdom Parliament as a result. That it's plain wrong.

The referendum was a different type of election. More akin to proportional representation. The result of that vote was that the United Kingdom should leave the European Union. And that is what will happen.

Although I can't quite believe the perverseness of it, I think you are saying that we should not be allowed to leave the European Union because the majority of European members (other countries included) when taken as a whole, would rather us not do that. That is the most mental thing I have heard so far today but the day is still young, so I don't even think it warrants a reply.

If the United Kingdom wants to leave the European union, it's out productive. There is a mechanism for doing so and that mechanism needs to be initiated immediately.

So, no irony in any of this, and it simply remains for you to disprove the statistics which I have quoted. A good place to start is with typing "UK General Election Results" into Google. Read it and weep.
No apology will be offered. You have scope to offer one though.
The U.K. System allows local people to vote for a local MP to represent them in parliament.
Locally in Scotland they voted and got the MP that the majority wanted.
You are suggesting that that isn't fair. That is the bigger group rule not local choice that You are relying on.
You then go on to dismiss my example of bigger group rule calling my idea mental ! ,Europe over ruling the smaller, the irony is you use one idea for I'm right then insult me with you'r wrong, mental.
But as we are unlikely to get any further I will refrain from posting for a while.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, and I haven't hinted at that. I'm just confirming that we suffered a sudden very large increase in racist attacks following the Brexit result, since you appeared to be denying it had happened. It clearly inspired some to feel free to commence such attacks as if they'd somehow been authorised to do so by the outcome.

Ther's also plenty of racism in mainland Europe and I know from first hand just how very bad that can be in France, but that doesn't excuse it in Britain. It's wrong everywhere.

The accusations of anti-semitic attacks by the labour party are tory nonsense, wilfully taking comments out of context for political advantage. I suffer this myself since I'm opposed to the evil of Zionism, prompting Jewish people to accuse me of anti-semitism. Amusing, since my family contains married-in Jews and their children, some my cousins, one my brother-in-law!

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
No apology will be offered. You have scope to offer one though.
The U.K. System allows local people to vote for a local MP to represent them in parliament.
Locally in Scotland they voted and got the MP that the majority wanted.
You are suggesting that that isn't fair. That is the bigger group rule not local choice that You are relying on.
You then go on to dismiss my example of bigger group rule calling my idea mental ! ,Europe over ruling the smaller, the irony is you use one idea for I'm right then insult me with you'r wrong, mental.
But as we are unlikely to get any further I will refrain from posting for a while.
I get the idea regarding how the election system works.

Have you ever heard the term Rotten Borough? That's when a disproportionately small number of people are able to elect an MP to parliament. Taking the extreme, if the SNP had 55 candidates in 55 constituencies with one voter in each constituency, they could achieve 55 MPs with just 55 votes.

Obviously not its not that extreme in the case of the 2015 election, but a disproportionately small number of voters (just over 4%) have managed to vote in 55 MPs. I call that some way towards a Rotten Borough system, which was outlawed in the 1830s.

The fact remains that The Tiny Scottish Idiot Woman is deeply unpopular with UK voters as a whole. No argument.

But run away and hide when the facts hit you square on in the face.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And you for the left wing press. They're all as bad as each other
No actually, I don't. I read as many of the newspapers as possible of all persuasions : as someone once said
"I read the newspapers avidly, they are my one source of continuous fiction."

Propaganda is easy to spot if you engage the brain when reading, and understand what people are trying to sell you, and why.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Have you ever heard the term Rotten Borough? That's when a disproportionately small number of people are able to elect an MP to parliament. Taking the extreme, if the SNP had 55 candidates in 55 constituencies with one voter in each constituency, they could achieve 55 MPs with just 55 votes.

Obviously not its not that extreme in the case of the 2015 election, but a disproportionately small number of voters (just over 4%) have managed to vote in 55 MPs. I call that some way towards a Rotten Borough system, which was outlawed in the 1830s.

The fact remains that The Tiny Scottish Idiot Woman is deeply unpopular with UK voters as a whole. No argument.

"The fact remains that The Tiny Scottish Idiot Woman is deeply unpopular with UK voters as a whole. No argument."

Really? care to offer proof of that?
Why should they care?
If they object to anything it is the system, not the individuals it elects.
Frankly what English voters think about Sturgeon is irrelevant anyway, what matters is what the Scots think, and the size of the Scottish Boroughs has been long established.
As is the number of MPs that can be elected from there.
for someone who holds such strong opinions on prejudice, you are setting a poor personal example.

D8ve isn't running away, he is simply accepting that you will not drop this personal antipathy to Nicola Sturgeon and has tired of attempting to reason with you.
Whereas as I rather enjoy our conversations :D

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

Rotten borough
Median constituency in Scotland is 66,700
Bath had a constitency of 60,996
The facts imply that bath has a disproportionate representation.
The rotten vote was not in Scotland.
The current English idiot woman as you call them received only 29,000 votes from the possible 46,000,000 voters in the uk! Is she even more hated?
Grow up and try to understand the figures.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
4% = 1 X unpopular Tiny Scottish Idiot Woman.
Ah! so now you speak for the small majority of the Brexit Voters?
About time someone did, I suppose, after all they are a pretty sorry bunch (assuming they still exist of course, which on the face of it is quite likely, as they are not noted for being quick learners and will need a lot more convincing of the error of their ways)
As John Wayne would have said, it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

Advertisers