Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I said to my corporate bank manager....'At least you haven't got to worry about the guys with shooters breaking in,most of the crooks are already on the inside!!!!!
No sense of humour bankers.
KudosDave
Ps...The cabinet have a new nickname for Theresa May....recognised as being very indecisive......Theresa Maybe....

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In EU spheres that would be Theresa Maynot...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Don't you just love all the new words around Brexit....
Wrexit
Bremain.
Nicola Sturgeon now wants flexi-Brexit....she wants a unique deal for each of the devolved countries.....We have a big enough job getting one deal through the EU,can you imagine trying to get an individual deal for Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland as well as England?
The Walloons would have 4 opportunities to wreck (Wrexit) any deal.
KudosDave

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here's an example of how Brexit will make "The Goodness Flow"

Blitz on red tape to speed up new drugs: Ministers promise to reduce time it takes to go from the lab to patient use by four years

And to hell with patient safety, how long before we have another Thalidomide disaster?
At least the Pharm Companies will be pleased with the Brexit effect speeding up their profits.

Ah well Brexit Fans will imagine this to be a victory for their version of "Common Sense"

• Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I wonder, in view that 3 of 4 countries in the UK want to remain in the Single Market, should Wales run their own second referendum?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I wonder, in view that 3 of 4 countries in the UK want to remain in the Single Market, should Wales run their own second referendum?
Yes, I'd rather live in Wales than Scotland, less midges warmer weather.
Assuming they vote to remain of course.

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
There is an interesting article on share.com titled 'why did the market punish Brexit....he discusses open or closed Brexit as opposed to hard or soft Brexit. He has decided that closed Brexit would be a disaster for the UK....Theresa May should read this article,it offers some middle ground to remainers and leavers.
KudosDave
may is being populist of course and playing the public (or vice versa). one cant help wondering at what exact point the public's sense of denial will wear off, with the steady drumbeat of bad news, devaluation
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-24/pound-struggles-to-hold-gain-as-concern-shifts-to-banking-exodus
it feels as if it never will, but that can't be true (even the Japanese in ww2 saw the light after a second nuke, so surely the brexit public must have some point where realisation kicks in)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I hadn't realised, Trex, that Wales voted to remain but I'll take your word for that. Regardless, I find it interesting that the Westminster joke shop we call parliament has yet to formally vote on the issue while we know that Scotland, N. Ireland & London all voted to remain in the EU last June.

We also know that the tory government has relied on the Unionist vote from N. Ireland on many occasions to support their policies through the Commons. I wonder which way those Irish MPs will vote if May continues with her support for 'Brexit'?

As for Scotland, I think they have made their position pretty clear but they are in danger of being railroaded out of the EU by the Westminster elite. It interests me further that the same Westminster elite complained loudly not so long ago that Scots MPs were allowed to vote on issues that only affected England and Wales and sought to remove that right to vote from them. That, of course, completely ignores the fact that Westminster has for over 300 years dictated policy in Scotland, frequently against the wishes of those people, just because they can.

If, as you have commented, the Welsh have expressed a desire to remain a part of the EU, we can see where democracy patently fails to work for the people. It raises questions such as: What constitutes a majority? What about the disparate sizes of constituencies? How should we deal with whole countries within the UK which choose to vote in a particular way? What status does a referendum of the people have in relation to a parliamentary debate and vote?

There are many other questions which can be framed on that subject but I do wonder about the position of the Houses of Parliament and our elected representatives if there exists any mechanism which permits their authority to be usurped, particularly in something so momentous as the decision to leave or remain a part of the EU.

This whole issue of the EU could be resolved easily by an emergency motion in parliament, discussed and debated by elected representatives and voted for in the lobbies. Then we would know unequivocally what our future is to be.

As things stand, particularly in view of the ability of certain political groups or individuals to organise referenda on matters which may or may not have formed part of an election manifesto, then we could have similar demands for other topics such as the death penalty and any issue that parts of the media decide to be worthy of special importance - re-nationalisation of the rail network, the major utilities, mandatory prison sentences for particular crimes, etc.

Clearly, the referendum result alone cannot be the sole determining factor in the decision about our EU membership but the government is failing its duty by allowing the media to speculate while the country's financial position deteriorates by the day. Some clear signals from Downing St about the progress of the matter would be welcome. Instead, we are left in limbo until such time as Article 50 is invoked and then possibly two further years before we learn what our options are.

The current silence on this issue from the PM and major figures in her party is quite incredible. Let's hear what the view of the full H of C is before we pass the point of no return.

Tom

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
The government's plan has always been fairly obvious to me.

Let the pound decline a little further, wait for stocks to eventually start falling when Brexit reality finally sinks in.

Then, announce we are staying in the EU, and the Tories and their banker friends will make an absolute killing off the back of the immediate rebound in the markets...

They are not interested in 'democracy'. When has that ever been the case?
This is all just a great opportunity to manipulate the markets that they couldn't miss up.

You don't think any of this isn't planned by "them".... ? ;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I hadn't realised, Trex, that Wales voted to remain but I'll take your word for that.
sorry Tom, I should have been clearer. Wales did of course vote to leave the EU but their government wants to remain in the Single Market. The situation is confusing, so a second referendum may solve the conundrum and also illustrate the change of public opinion if there is any.
By the same argument, if the UK parliament asks to stay in the Single Market then a second UK wide referendum may be needed.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
so surely the brexit public must have some point where realisation kicks in)
some polls predicted that the pain threshold is 2.5% drop in their (brexiters) purchasing power. If inflation hits 4% next year, then hard brexit would certainly not survive.
Brexiters know that another referendum will reverse brexit so they use any means possible to hold on to power and steer the UK boat to the middle of the Atlantic.

Reactions: derf

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
They are not interested in 'democracy'. When has that ever been the case?
While I'm not sure about your premise in the rest of your piece, I'm with you all the way on the 'democracy' point!

Being elected to what has been called, 'The best club in London' is to get on board the finest gravy train in the country and principles are easily cast aside should they interfere with the continued membership of that institution.

I have always been a great believer and supporter of democracy but it is no less subject to corruption than anything else in life where money may play a part.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Seems I'm the only one on here who voted out and wouldn't change my vote.
Me neither fingers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12014993/The-single-European-market-is-looking-increasingly-like-a-sham.html

re-entered the link but if it is does not work try:

*ttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12014993/The-single-European-market-is-looking-increasingly-like-a-sham.html

copy above, paste into your browser address bar replace the * with h then hit go button

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That link isn't working Shem. What was it?
The link is working for me Fingers. However, this is the main gist of the article:

One of the main arguments in favour of the UK’s continued membership of the European Union is that it will ensure British companies retain their access to the single market. The sector that is thought to most benefit from such access is finance.

So, it may come as a bit of a shock to Britain’s Europhiles that leading senior executives of UK insurance companies are privately protesting that the single market in which they supposedly operate is a sham.

Reactions: Fingers

Advertisers