Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The government would rather spend well over twice that on being able to create giant potholes anywhere.

I mean Trident of course.
In random directions and places, apparently[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Trident, the world's first equal opportunities doomsday weapon system.
This reminds me of a wartime test of a rocket assisted light tank intended to leap over sea walls,, but it landed upside down.
Churchill was watching, he took out his cigar, smiled and said
"It might not frighten jerry, but by God!
It frightened me!"

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Breaking down barriers.......Mmm! I'm sure Trump mentioned that somewhere down the line but isn't he the same guy who has promised to build a wall like no other to keep out illegals from Mexico. There must be some entrepreneurial boat owners in northern Mexico not unhappy to hear that!

The last great wall project lasted 28 years and was of little use to its architects - hardly a success as a reunited Germany and a still fearful Russia demonstrate. The Trojans' border controls failed in the end too rendering their fortified city vulnerable, even after withstanding 10 years of war with the Greek invaders. Even the great wall of China was only of partial success when it was built and ultimately became a monument cum visitor attraction so walls don't have a great track record at doing what their architects set out to achieve.

It seems to me that this tory government is taking the UK from a barrier-free economic trading area into a future where we will almost certainly find there are various barriers we cannot avoid, all of which will hit the pockets and purses of British consumers. At the same time, we will be taking back control.......by building barriers or creating a much larger Border Agency to police all possible entry points for foreigners attempting to enter the UK. Do our politicians not know anything about history?

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
ok... so what's getting cheaper as a result of this mess?

Tunnocks tea cakes have gone up by 15p... so I'm really not happy now (that's over an 17% rise!)
[/QUOTE]

I can't say, but Sainsbury's here have McVitie chocolate hobnobs on special offers at the moment, we are not grumbling.
Inflation will climb quickly to 3% by July I reckon.

another wonderful story of the joy this is bringing to families in the UK currently.

"My friend has been here for 30 years- she is French and was married to a British man - they have children born here. She was refused citizenship - this is what she had to provide - 30 years of proof of earnings ( many years she was bringing up the children) - her original visa from the 80's- 6 years of bank statements - she had to take an English test - prove she had private health insurance ( guest how that plays into the agenda for privatisation of the NHS - and how many ex-pats do you think have proper private health care?) take some bullshit test on British culture the likes of which most of the British population couldn't pass - pay £1700 for the privilege of being turned down.

Now I will be damned if my husband who has been here, paying as much tax as was asked of him for 30 years because he believes it's his social duty - will be taking an English test - he speaks 3 languages - better English than I do and probably none of the people processing any form of his could speak German to the level he speaks English. He will not be paying £1700 to be turned down on some pathetic technicality or because he is approaching retirement. He thought this was his home - we have 4 children some born here and some in Germany - he has made this his home and given 30 years of loyalty and talent -we are a European family and the deal was that he could be here because of freedom of movement - he will not be expecting to pass and jump through all the hoops because he is " the right kind of immigrant" - F**ck that - I will not let him stay here to hear all the "who won the war" bullshit - he will not be paying to kiss the Queen's backside - THE UNITED KINGDOM SHOULD BE RUNNING TO ASK HIM TO STAY AND GIVE HIM A FREE PASSPORT."

is this what you voted for leavers? If it is I have even less respect or you, if it isn't you should be joining the protests and contacting your MPs to say this isn't what you voted for!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The ladies in my office are complaining that butter has gone up 80%,why such a big rise? Perhaps the cows have to be British cows,not Friesland cows or Jersey cows,hehe
Perhaps they are subject to a British test.
Shades of Hitler and the Jews or Africaans and the blacks.
The tories really are the Nasty party.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The ladies in my office are complaining that butter has gone up 80%,why such a big rise? Perhaps the cows have to be British cows,not Friesland cows or Jersey cows,hehe
Perhaps they are subject to a British test.
Shades of Hitler and the Jews or Africaans and the blacks.
The tories really are the Nasty party.
KudosDave
2016 hottest year on record, pasture levels suffer from heat, cows produce less milk containing less cream, butter is made from cream... This is just the beginning as Churchill would have said :(

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The ladies in my office are complaining that butter has gone up 80%,
Perhaps the cheaper butters have risen in price, but the two high end brands I usually buy remain about the same at £1.70, just checked online.

Both are British sourced so perhaps the rises are mainly of imported butters, like Anchor (from New Zealand).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wow that's dear for Butter, Aldi price is around 79p !
The one I checked also has much cheaper, but those two I quoted have alway been expensive as high end butters from Channel Islands breeds.

The usual rule of diminishing returns as one goes up the price range of any product.

Some more wise words from zee Germans about the "they need us more than we need them" nonsense that we seem to be hearing a lot of.

"
When you talk to German bosses they say their top priority is in fact the integrity of the single market, rather than hanging on to British customers.

That's because their supply chains span across the EU.

A German car might be designed in Germany, manufactured in Britain, with components made in various parts of eastern Europe, to be sold in France. This only works if there are no cross-border tariffs, paperwork or red tape."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38707997

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thank you for attaching that link 'KTM'. I have to be honest and admit that I don't think I have ever heard of AC Grayling but he seems quite a clever chap, able to condense the 'Brexit' situation and the process which must take place before A50 is implemented into very few words.

I certainly admire his focus on the salient points, not requiring to pad out his view with loads of BS like our politicians. It will be very interesting now to hear what our legal brains have to say on the issue although I don't really trust our learned judges as they have demonstrated many inconsistencies in the past.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
President Donald Trump scraps TPP trade deal by executive order

What value can anyone place on any Trade deals America might make or even begin negotiations about with him acting arbitrarily?
This is what it was supposed to do
What is the TPP?

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) writes the rules for global trade—rules that will help increase Made-in-America exports, grow the American economy, support well-paying American jobs, and strengthen the American middle class.

• Australia
    • Canada
    • Japan
    • Malaysia
    • Mexico
    • Peru

• United States
    • Vietnam
    • Chile
    • Brunei
    • Singapore
    • New Zealand
It sounds rather like something Mrs May would wet herself in excitement over if she got it.
She wouldn't worry about British jobs going overseas, it has been going on for decades here, the American company I worked for closed our factory and opened one in China.
Can someone explain what he has against that? He isn't so green as to believe he can stop them doing that with USA jobs is he?
Some hope!

Last edited:
  • Agree

Advertisers