Brexit, for once some facts.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
They, d be great following our GPS routes and then having to reverse...
To be fair tho that's how I got decent at reversing trailers. Once went down some track, in France, looking for a secluded windsurf beach... No turning points... No beach either, had to reverse about 2 miles back up track... ️️
I bought a car with a reversing camera, since then I haven't looked back.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's also a recognition/conditioning problem - they don't expect to see us, therefore they don't. Nobody should be allowed a driving license unless they've been a road cylist, for at least a year!
You know what they'd say to that. Nobody should be allowed to cycle until they'd driven a car for a year! Trouble is they outnumber cyclists to such a huge extent in this country, they'd probably get their own way.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's a lack of understanding why there are bicycles on the road anyway. To them everybody knows the roads are expressly for motor vehicles, with cars given the highest priority.
And within motor vehicles there is a pecking order .. when I had an Audi A6 , mere BMWs would move aside!!!. The Opels ( Vauxhall s to you) would genuflect. Perhaps going down motorways the wrong way made the difference?.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Opels ( Vauxhall s to you) would genuflect.
My first car at 18 years old was a Vauxhall DX Light 6. Born the same year as me, these had the infamous curtsey under braking which caused amusement for pedestrians at crossings:

Reactions: Nev and guerney

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
forget "Global Britain"
This in the times
Spaceports from Cornwall to Shetland will launch rockets into orbit next year as Boris Johnson promises to create “galactic Britain”.

With any luck he will be on one of them
The man is certifiably insane.
What the strategy is is simply to work with partners as happens now and offer perks like this to attract business

". We will also launch a review of options to consider a lower limit of operator liability for in-orbit operations and alternative insurance models to support the needs of small satellite operators.

Nothing whatever in the so called strategy equates to our efforts amounting to a dynamic "British" enterprise

Here is the link
National Space strategy
Just another dangerous con trick, and being owned by the USA in the form on Nasa

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You'd hate it, we all would.

One of the main reasons why we don't achieve the world we want to end up with is that we only want it done "nicely", suiting our human foibles.

Your computer driven AI, while getting to the objectives, would use coldly efficient methods that would appall us by their lack of humanity.

That's because we haven't actually ever achieved AI yet, and possibly never will.
But we have achieved a highly contagious "Natural Stupidity" running the country and popular with the voters, that is living proof that this area's population has passed peak evolution.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did as I promised yesterday, today taking the alternative 5 mile route with no fuel stations to my customary supermarket.

I've never before seen it so empty of traffic, a double pleasure in my e-car.

I hate to think what the other route was like with its three fuel stations and all the traffic absent from my route!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What the strategy is is simply to work with partners as happens now and offer perks like this to attract business

". We will also launch a review of options to consider a lower limit of operator liability for in-orbit operations and alternative insurance models to support the needs of small satellite operators.

Nothing whatever in the so called strategy equates to our efforts amounting to a dynamic "British" enterprise

Here is the link
National Space strategy
Just another dangerous con trick, and being owned by the USA in the form on Nasa
Is this about the spectacularly expensive "British GPS" project, now that we're excluded from EU GPS development and deployment?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You'd hate it, we all would.

One of the main reasons why we don't achieve the world we want to end up with is that we only want it done "nicely", suiting our human foibles.

Your computer driven AI, while getting to the objectives, would use coldly efficient methods that would appall us by their lack of humanity.

That's because we haven't actually ever achieved AI yet, and possibly never will.
You're right, what's sold as "AI" to VCs isn't, but existing systems are sufficient to model various adversarial simulations internally, and implement solutions based on those outcomes - there would be a "User apallment" parameter which would be adjusted periodically, as everyone in the world monitors decisions and vote in real time, leading to adjustments of a whole plethora of other parameters. What's "Apalling" now, would change.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there would be a "User apallment" parameter which would be adjusted periodically,
I doubt we would be able to cope with this, due to such software being unable to anticipate the vagaries of human attitudes. The corrections would be forever firefighting after widespread offence was caused. As we know from current hysterias, it only needs a few to take offence to whip up a major scale of it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All of the votes could be stored immutibly on a blockchain, to avoid tampering. Quite a lot is already known about "Apalling", through what each and every one of us do and/or say on the internet - it's all logged by social media (even if we don't knowingly use social media), therefore reasonable parameters for avoiding "User Apallment" could be pre-programmed in. It'd make a nice change: "AI" improving the prospects for humanity's future instead of inexorably bringing about it's end - Complete movie, well worth watching:

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All of the votes could be stored immutibly on a blockchain, to avoid tampering. Quite a lot is already known about "Apalling", through what each and every one of us do and/or say on the internet - it's all logged by social media (even if we don't knowingly use social media), therefore reasonable parameters for avoiding "User Apallment" could be pre-programmed in. It'd make a nice change: "AI" improving the prospects for humanity's future instead of inexorably bringing about it's end - Complete movie, well worth watching:

Blockchain as in Bitcoin blockchain has been hacked though.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
our democracy is imperfect. That's the reason to believe future is better than now. If we remove all the faults from the system, that will be the end of us.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
our democracy is imperfect. That's the reason to believe future is better than now. If we remove all the faults from the system, that will be the end of us.
Indeed, the permanence of hope is essential for our mental heath and continuing existence,

The cost of our delicately balanced human sentient state.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If your point is that democracy is imperfect and that it's imperfection is a necessary feature, not a fault: it's perfect, therefore our democracy will be the end of us.

Nothing is perfect forever.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If your point is that democracy is imperfect and that it's imperfection is a necessary feature, not a fault: it's perfect, therefore our democracy will be the end of us.
amusing but I reckon, according to wikipedia, your argument suffers a type of fallacy called Modal fallacy – confusing necessity with sufficiency. I still have fond memory of lessons on Aristotle's logic in High School when I was 17.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My experience has been that for any given number of people in a group, tasked with making a collective decision on group action, it's a squared relationship in terms of time to make that decision: 5 people will take about 25 times as long to choose a course of action, than one person making a decision for the whole group. Weirdly, this rough calculation has helped me schedule time rather well. 7.674 billion people on earth will never react in time. We need a better boat. It's beyond human beings. Our brains are not up to the task, it hasn't changed substantially in structure or function since our hunter gatherer days. The future of humanity (on Earth) can be assured, if calculated and organised by computers.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"AI" is making strides many areas of science, finding innovative solutions:

It should be helping in governance - better still, it should replace humans completely in that space.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You know what they'd say to that. Nobody should be allowed to cycle until they'd driven a car for a year! Trouble is they outnumber cyclists to such a huge extent in this country, they'd probably get their own way.
37 million drivers vs 7.5 million cyclists... therefore we'd strike a deal on a compromise: 1/5th of a year cycling, before they qualify for a driving license.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers