Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Translated that means accepting the deaths from it.
Which is why I detest the expression, "learning" has nothing to do with it. It is just living or dying with it.

The only learning of importance would seem to be whatever science/medicine can bring in the form of medicines and vaccine/vaccine-like products and the understanding to use them. Which itself is very largely determined by the ability to pay for them - when as nations or individuals.

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
Which is why I detest the expression, "learning" has nothing to do with it. It is just living or dying with it.

The only learning of importance would seem to be whatever science/medicine can bring in the form of medicines and vaccine/vaccine-like products and the understanding to use them. Which itself is very largely determined by the ability to pay for them - when as nations or individuals.
Lifting all restrictions may cost more lives than necessary, but it’s a sacrifice Boris Johnson is prepared to make in order to save his job

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Reactions: oldgroaner

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Hancock guilty!

Matt Hancock broke law over Dido Harding appointment, high court rules
Runnymede Trust wins court battle over key government appointments during coronavirus pandemic
Now she just have to give each of us £1233 (37 billion divided by 30 million taxpayers) and everything will be fine..

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
What about Cancer Research U.K? Their research is funded by charitable donations...
What I always found bizarre, is that some 'cancer awareness day' will come around, and people in work will organise some fund raising events, where you buy/bake cakes, biscuits, doughnuts etc, donate them, they get sold to fellow workmates, and the proceeds get donated to a cancer charity.

Hello! its things like the chemicals, PUFAs, artificial colours, sugars etc in the majority of all that crap junk food they specifically ask for that's one of the big CAUSES of cancer ?!?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Did anyone ever think the tories were in any way acceptable?

No 10 pressured me to drop anti-money laundering measures, says ex-minister
UK ‘laughing stock’ for failure to stem dirty money, says Lord Faulks QC, who was told to drop register by Theresa May’s No 10

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What I always found bizarre, is that some 'cancer awareness day' will come around, and people in work will organise some fund raising events, where you buy/bake cakes, biscuits, doughnuts etc, donate them, they get sold to fellow workmates, and the proceeds get donated to a cancer charity.

Hello! its things like the chemicals, PUFAs, artificial colours, sugars etc in the majority of all that crap junk food they specifically ask for that's one of the big CAUSES of cancer ?!?
Interestingly, the very medicine I take every day is suspected of being linked to cancer.

There seems little doubt that a high level of levothyroxine will enable some cancers to grow more quickly. (Ovarian, possibly breast, and no doubt others.) But whether it is in any way causative of the origin of a cancer is much more questionable.

Likewise, there is a steady stream of people in panic as they find that high levels of vitamin B12 might be linked to cancer. So far, the link is that in people not supplementing B12, high blood levels are often found in some cancer patients. It appears to be that the cancer is causing the release of stored B12. Not that B12 is in any way causative. The high level in itself seems completely without impact, except in the few who have some sort of cobalt allergy.

Last edited:
  • Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Now she just have to give each of us £1233 (37 billion divided by 30 million taxpayers) and everything will be fine..
Not just Hancock but the PM too.

Dear <me>,

In a landmark verdict, the High Court has today found that the process leading to the appointments of both Dido Harding and Mike Coupe was unlawful. It held that Matt Hancock broke the law in appointing Dido Harding as Chair of the National Institute for Health Protection (NIHP) and in appointing Mike Coupe as Director of Testing at Test and Trace (NHSTT). The High Court was also clear that the Prime Minister broke the law in appointing Dido Harding as Chair of Test and Trace.

The Court declared: “The Secretary of State for Health and Social Care did not comply with the public sector equality duty in relation to the decisions how to appoint Baroness Harding as Interim Executive Chair of the NIHP in August 2020 and Mr Coupe as Director of Testing for NHSTT in September 2020.” (paragraph 138 of the judgment)

While the formal declaration reflects only the appointments made by Matt Hancock, the High Court is clear that the process adopted by the Prime Minister was also unlawful (paragraph 116 of the judgment). All three appointments breached the public sector equality duty.

In reaching this conclusion, the Court accepted the argument made by race equality think tank the Runnymede Trust and Good Law Project that the recruitment process adopted by the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State ignored the need to eliminate discrimination against the country’s disabled and ethnic minority communities, and to ensure they have equality of opportunity.

In appointing the wife of Boris Johnson’s Anti-Corruption Tsar John Penrose MP to Chair the National Institute for Health Protection, the Government failed to consider the effects on those who, the data shows, are too often shut out of public life. The Government also ignored its own internal guidance, which requires Ministers to consider how discrimination law will be complied with.

The Runnymede Trust and Good Law Project brought the case to highlight what it means to disadvantaged groups for the Government to push its associates and donors into key jobs. The Court’s declaration will have a real impact on how public appointments are made in the future.

The Government must now take seriously its legal and moral obligations to narrow the disadvantages faced by people with disabilities and those of colour. Public appointments must not be made without taking steps to eliminate discrimination and to advance equality of opportunity, even when normal processes don’t apply, for instance during a public health emergency. The Government will now have to be much more careful to make sure its recruitment processes are fair, equitable and open to all.

We want to thank you for your continued support of this case. Without you, we simply couldn’t have done this. We are the arrow, but you are the bow.

Thank you,

Jo Maugham - Good Law Project

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not all of us are as lucky as you. Some of us have to put up with other people and their stupid irritating behaviour.:oops:
Well it could be said that I made my own luck by choosing to be single and having lone pursuits.

However I am lucky in one sense, I have no idea what being lonely is, I've never experienced such a thing. I've seen others including my brother at one time suffering loneliness and the awful effect it can have on them, but that leaves me baffled as to why that is.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Well it could be said that I made my own luck by choosing to be single and having lone pursuits.

However I am lucky in one sense, I have no idea what being lonely is, I've never experienced such a thing. I've seen others including my brother at one time suffering loneliness and the awful effect it can have on them, but that leaves me baffled as to why that is.
Well, metaphorically, there may be ones pre "lord of the flies" feelings and post "lord of the flies" feelings. As a young man I felt lonely, sometimes, excluded from what seemed a wonderful tropical island of human community and togetherness. Now in my fifties I realise how much that fantasised island can in reality be a ******* dark place that has to be approached with considerable caution (and often avoided).

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now in my fifties I realise how much that fantasised island can in reality be a ******* dark place that has to be approached with considerable caution (and often avoided).
I was learning that in hard ways by five years old. Already a loner, those early experiences set the future pattern of my life. But I'm far from being unhappy about that, I see it as a gain I wouldn't be without.

Built in armour.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wouldn't place too much credence in an article that says:

According to the Kyodo report, the company develops equipment for nuclear fusion reactors, including a key device that effectively collects heat with a temperature of over 100 million Celsius generated in a reactor.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wouldn't place too much credence in an article that says:

According to the Kyodo report, the company develops equipment for nuclear fusion reactors, including a key device that effectively collects heat with a temperature of over 100 million Celsius generated in a reactor.
Hope they have it, because that's quoted as needed:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
BBC Radio 4 is currently running a series called Nazanin - about the history behinf Nazanin's imprisonment. I caught a few minutes of it but intend to listen to some more.

Truss tells Iran she hopes UK will soon be able to repay £400m debt
Tehran is keen to see Britain do more to help with the Afghan refugee crisis

How many years does it take to pay a debt? Don't trust Truss any more than Johnson.

Advertisers