Brexit, for once some facts.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Your inability to see that my concerns with Brexit are born from something called empathy gives an insight into your state of mind. My concerns for this country and its citizens are based on lots of things, and yes my knowledge of trade from my current business, but its also effected by my previous work in education and the energy industry.

This "new era" you talk of isn't going to improve the conditions of the locals you're so worried about. Employers like Sports Direct employ immigrants, and will continue to, its just that in a post brexit world they might need to have a work permit. All this will do is push Sports Direct prices up, and who will that effect? The very people we're all worried about. If you think Brexit is going to make people employ locals who currently are out of work, you're mistaken for a host of reasons.
You have convinced yourself but you haven't convinced me. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: tillson and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There are many companies who have used the EU as a source of cheap disposable labour. The one that I worked for did just that when the borders were opened to the Eastern block. They were employed in preference to locals because they were cheaper. Look at Sports Direct in North Derbyshire. The community has been swamped and locals are fed up with it. Who are the people sleeping under Marble Arch and why are they there?? You are only looking at this from your own business viewpoint because it will make it less profitable and more difficult. Do you think that all the people who have seen their communities changed forever are not entitled to have an opinion or a say in this because it is inconvenient for you. A new era is about to dawn. Instead of looking for all the negatives why not look for the opportunities and move on. I would suggest that those who do that are more likely to succeed in the future.
Fine words reminiscent of the saying
There are no such things as Problems, only challenges
But the number of challenges is becoming a problem.
And the problem with your view is that Davis has announced that the cheap labour is going to continue, do you really believe brexit will affect that at all?
He has just killed that idea stone dead

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: robdon
You have convinced yourself but you haven't convinced me. We will have to agree to disagree on this.
ok, so sell it to me. Don't describe current problems.

Show me how leaving the EU is going to mean all the industries and companies that are currently booming in the UK, or in many cases just surviving (I'm thinking health care here) with the benefit of the in your words "cheap and disposable labour from the EU" (bearing in mind we're currently in the EU ;) are going to continue with the current UK growth without this supply of cheap labour, bearing in mind again that UK unemployment is at record lows.

So what policy / law etc can we introduce that we currently can't already, that will solve the problems in the UK.

I'm not debating the problems. I want you to explain to me how you see Brexit solving them.

Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think Blair was pretty factual in his speech, the BBC did a fact check on his claims and it seems that brexit will affect around 82,000 EU citizens coming here without a job offer each year and I guess, we have to support with benefits.
I think the figure is significant enough.

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon
I think Blair was pretty factual in his speech, the BBC did a fact check on his claims and it seems that brexit will affect around 82,000 EU citizens coming here without a job offer each year and I guess, we have to support with benefits.
Current EU law... gives Citizens of European Union countries ‘free movement’ rights within the EU. At present this gives them the right to live and work in the UK.

We don't have to pay benefits, or give free access to NHS.

Yes, and under current EU law we can send them back if after 3 months they don't have work. The fact we don't is because of our UK government policy... not the EU.

again from the Sun.

"After intense negotiations, the UK was eventually offered an “emergency brake” on migration which created a seven year window in which new EU arrivals could be denied benefits."

So we don't have to pay benefits.

The fact you think we do, is I'm afraid ignorance.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Especially when the President concerned is a draft-dodger!

Tom
You know that is an alt-fact he was bigly in the army and got a purple heart for being wounded in the Viet-Nam war. Yes we won that one too! Commie...

:rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Current EU law... gives Citizens of European Union countries ‘free movement’ rights within the EU. At present this gives them the right to live and work in the UK.

We don't have to pay benefits, or give free access to NHS.
We don't have to but we do.

There are about 30% of EU citizens residing in the UK and are currently inactive.
Brexit will cause a lot of them (about 1 million) to lose benefits and move out.
It may sound callous to many of us but brexit will reduce the housing crisis.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
There have been many interviews on TV where the comment has been made that our Health Service only survives because of immigration and how will it cope when they can no longer come. If not said directly certainly implied that thios country will collapse without foreign nurses etc. The NHS needs to get

If the management of the NHS got their heads out of their backsides and started managing it properly there should be no need for staff shortages. I am sure there are plenty of people in this country who would work for them if they were given the chance. My daughter in law worked as a nurse for years being qualified to degree level and working in several areas. Left to have children and has just tried to get back in 2 different hospitals but been refused. Insanity. They are then quite happy to bring in foreign staff who cannot speak English and some with dubious qualifications. I wonder how many times this is repeated. It doesn't matter though we'll just ask for another few billion and blame old people. Oh and in the meantime we'll treat anyone who turns up for free. Very easy to be so slapdash when it's taxpayers money
THe NHS will collapse without migrants,David Davis is currently admitting that we cant do without the migrants....note he is making these admissions whilst on a tour of Latvia,Lithuania and Estonia,I bet he wont say the same things when he gets back...like Boris these people forget its a small world now.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon
We don't have to but we do.

There are about 30% of EU citizens residing in the UK and are currently inactive.
Brexit will cause a lot of them (about 1 million) to lose benefits and move out.
It may sound callous to many of us but brexit will reduce the housing crisis.
True, we don't have to, but we do. So who's fault is that, oh lets look. The Home Office, and who were they run by, oh yes, Teresa May. So they are blaming the EU for something that we've had control over, but not used the powers. So again not the EUs fault...

If you think us booting out the EU citizens on benefits... whilst at the same time Gray is compaining they are taking all the jobs.

As recognised by the New Statesmen here:

"EU migrants could be forgiven for being confused. Half the time they are depicted as job-pinching Stakhanovites: the rest of the time they are denounced as benefit-milking scroungers."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/welfare/2016/06/how-much-do-benefits-paid-eu-migrants-cost-britain

also from that piece...

Immigrants were also reported to have contributed more than £3bn in income taxes, while claiming roughly £0.5bn in benefits.

How will Brexit solve the housing crisis, if we send EU citizens home, we're going to get a large number of pensioners back from the EU.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How will Brexit solve the housing crisis, if we send EU citizens home, we're going to get a large number of pensioners back from the EU.
Simples! They will all be going to hospital within the first weeks because of the change of climate! The NHS will put them up. Oh wait a minute... :eek:

Oh, look the NFU... the voice of farmers, they must be experts on farming.

yesterday expressing major concerns about labour shortages.

As many "leavers" don't seem to want to acknowlegde... WE NEED THIS MIGRANT LABOUR!!

Farmers have warned that food will “rot in the fields” and Britain will be unable to produce what it eats if the government cannot guarantee that growers will continue to have access to tens of thousands of EU workers after Brexit.

Meurig Raymond, president of the National Farmers’ Union, told the body’s annual conference in Birmingham that farmers and food processors, particularly in horticulture and poultry, were already having difficulty recruiting.

The value of the pound, which reduces the value of pay seasonal workers send home to EU countries, and uncertainty over longer-term UK residency rights are discouraging workers from eastern Europe. High levels of employment in countries such as Romania and Bulgaria are also squeezing the supply of workers.

Coming soon: turnips are the new kale
Read more
The NFU said it needed government to help encourage workers from elsewhere to come to the UK to help with jobs like strawberry-picking and processing chicken

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You missed the point, KTM.
We treat about 1 million economically inactive EU citizens at the moment very much like our own.
After brexit, not much will change for those with a job but a lot will for many among the 1 million without a job.

• Dislike
  • Disagree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do you mean Trump needs to move on,it seems him who is still going on about the election media and populist votes,I dont think Hilary has said anything.
KudosDave
Nobody on the Democrat side has said a thing. That must mean they are agreeing with the huge landslide win when you discount the 5 million fake votes she got (yes last week it was 3 million but we found a couple million more!). And did you see the crowds? Biggest turnout ever for a presidential inauguration and the show with all those celebrities there to sing his praises. Add to that a 95% popularity rating - never before seen for a US president...

Must be true I read it in the Daily Mail :rolleyes:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
ok... so you're saying migration from the EU is causing the homeless in London.

funnily enough, if you read Shelter's website, they don't put the EU near the top of the list... in fact its not even on the list.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns_/why_we_campaign/tackling_homelessness/What_causes_homelessness

But I'll take it you don't like experts...

I'm guessing that you think people in the UK are homeless because immigrants have "come over here and taken their jobs"

in which case i challenge you to find me a single employer in the UK who wouldn't rather employ a Brit. The reasons they don't are plentiful, and the reasons they have to look abroad for labour is not because of the EU, but the fact the EU provides it is in my view a positive.

Also you'll see that because the UK doesn't have an unemployment problem, even in a post Brexit UK we'll still have to have our doors open to unskilled labour from Eastern Europe. This from David Davis this week.

Link from the Sun, so I can't be accused of linking to liberal elite media.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2923654/david-davis-promises-eastern-europe-uks-doors-will-stay-open-to-low-skilled-migrants/

EU workers will stay in the UK for “years and years” according to the Brexit minister – because Brits aren’t yet ready to fill their jobs.

David Davis made the comments as he sought to reassure Europe that Britain will keep its doors open to low-skilled workers in industries such as hospitality, agriculture and social care.
Quote...'Brits aren't yet ready to fill their jobs'....what does 'yet ready' mean...how much training does it need to clean hotel rooms or wash dishes in a restaurant or cut vegetables....or maybe Davis realises that the Brits just dont want to do these jobs.
When I was a teenager I actually did those jobs prior to Uni,why cant our people do them now?
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
THe NHS will collapse without migrants,David Davis is currently admitting that we cant do without the migrants....
In July just before the referendum we had 1304 applications from EU nurses to come here to work in the NHS.

After the referendum result that monthly rate rapidly fell.

By December it had slumped to 101.

That means we are already in trouble, as the severe shortage of nurses is showing. Now is a very bad time to need NHS hospital treatment.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It was one of their more factual reports. Sums them.up even giving it media space. Pathetic.
Its the height of hypocrisy that Tom sees all the fallacies in our free press and spends half his time telling leavers how brainwashed they are and he then holds Canary and Vox up as good examples of mass media. Its actually staggering . Yes, the Mail , Express etc are biased but the word doesn't start to describe Canary and Vox.
( Canary is nothing more than a Corbyn money making scheme)
And yes thanks Tom for confirming Canary ran an article about Sweden being invaded by Martians...not even the Star would run that one. If it was not such a serious issue it would be laughable. They deserve nothing but derision, its another example of remainers , well some of them, shooting themselves in both feet. I suspect Canary is probably financed by same funding as Blair now running for remain president. Both are loosing remain support.
The style of writing,topics of choice, conclusions and explanations on Canary are infantile at best. How on earth so called educated people can not see their motives is frightening.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I thought Germany was much more generous than us when handing out benefits. Most of the EU migrants I know come here to work and save money.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers