Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No that's not the case. I listened to her detailed explanation and she made it quite clear she would not be wearing the veil, and asked would that be problematic. They said not but on her arrival changed their minds,at which point she politely made her leave..
The only lack of manners was on their part and not hers, if you visited me I wouldn't insist on you wearing a string vest, unless you wished to ofcourse.
I suspect that earplugs would be a better idea.

Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
But in this case I believe she was right and it was the Mufti who showed no respect. Religion or any aspect of it should never be imposed, to do so is evil and has even led to the beheading of those who don't agree.
I'm afraid we'll need to agree to disagree on this one 'flecc'. I take the view, 'When in Rome.....'.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The requirement for women to cover hair and/or face is insulting, based solely in an inference that they are in some way inferior, sheer bigotry devoid of any justification.

It is directly linked to the separation of women in mosques and other such discriminations, so has long had a religious dimension. And it is always on the grounds of religious freedom that female supporters of wearing the veil and other coverings fight the issue.

Though I dislike Marie le Pen and her political beliefs, I firmly support her stand on this issue and her refusal to be insulted and be forced into conformity with a religious practice.
Fleec these are your opinions based on a very recent cultural phenomenon in western Europe thinking I am saying recent, .. look at 1930 era films with the femme fatale wearing a veil . I recall my own mother going to dinner dances , horse race meetings and similar wearing hats containing veils . This would be up to early 1960s . Up to the 1980 most women would carry a small scarf for when going into church, as a mark of respect. No-one would have stopped them .This post religion viewpoint as expressed by you is of extremely recent origin

Have you discussed these views with Muslim women? In many societies, including our own, , it is the women who maintain the cultural norms over generations and police the behaviour of their menfolk. Many millions of women in middle eastern and other societies are scandalised by what they choose to believe as adulterous behaviour of westerners. Don't assume that it is a male originated practice. It may appear so to us, but appearances can be deceptive.

Like others I do have redline issues and for example would wish to ban the practice of genital mutilation in either sex, . But in these countries it is a practice ,in the case of fgm, by women on women at the insistance of women.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No that's not the case. I listened to her detailed explanation and she made it quite clear she would not be wearing the veil, and asked would that be problematic. They said not but on her arrival changed their minds,at which point she politely made her leave..
The only lack of manners was on their part and not hers, if you visited me I wouldn't insist on you wearing a string vest, unless you wished to ofcourse.
Was this interview prior or post event? And then it would matter who she claimed to have had agreement with. It strikes me as unlikely that fox news would have made that error in their narrative. It would have suited them to claim she had been victimised.
Anyway I do not possess a string vest.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Fleec these are your opinions based on a very recent cultural phenomenon in western Europe thinking I am saying recent, .. look at 1930 era films with the femme fatale wearing a veil . I recall my own mother going to dinner dances , horse race meetings and similar wearing hats containing veils . This would be up to early 1960s . Up to the 1980 most women would carry a small scarf for when going into church, as a mark of respect. No-one would have stopped them .This post religion viewpoint as expressed by you is of extremely recent origin

Have you discussed these views with Muslim women? In many societies, including our own, , it is the women who maintain the cultural norms over generations and police the behaviour of their menfolk. Many millions of women in middle eastern and other societies are scandalised by what they choose to believe as adulterous behaviour of westerners. Don't assume that it is a male originated practice. It may appear so to us, but appearances can be deceptive.

Like others I do have redline issues and for example would wish to ban the practice of genital mutilation in either sex, . But in these countries it is a practice ,in the case of fgm, by women on women at the insistance of women.
But Danidl, the woman in question in this case was Le Pen, she wished not to wear the veil. The incident in itself mis proves your point, women are obviously pressured to wear the veil and by men, otherwise this story simply would not have arisen.
Its oppression , and very often with oppressed people they don't realise it themselves. The women are pressured to perpetuate the conditioning.
If your daughter married into the culture which beliefs would you expect her to adopt. Her own or those forced on her ?
And by Tom,s argument nobody in UK should ever be seen in a burkha, his argument of " when in Rome" is pure nonsense in modern culture.
Its freedom of choice both ways.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Isn't it all great fun?
"
Brexit: Paris announces seven new skyscrapers as it steps up bid to lure London jobs
Infrastructure announcement follows an aggressive campaign to woo UK businesses, urging them to “join the frogs”
Paris has ramped up efforts to lure jobs from London as Europe’s leading business hub post-Brexit after announcing a huge investment in its main business district, La Défense.

The French capital hasn’t constructed any buildings that are taller than 100m for more than 40 years, but in a bid to attract financial firms it will now build seven new skyscrapers in La Défense by 2021.
he towers will create 375,000 sq m of new office space as well as new restaurants and co-working areas, Defacto, the organisation which is promoting the development, said on Wednesday.
Marie-Célie Guillaume, chief executive of Defacto, said, “Brexit represents a huge opportunity for Paris.
“With only a few weeks to go until Article 50 is triggered, we want to send a powerful message to businesses that are uncertain about their future in London,” Ms Guillaume said.
The infrastructure announcement follows an aggressive campaign by Defacto, urging UK businesses to “join the frogs”. Paris has been particularly keen to attract London’s financial firms, which fear the consequences of losing their passporting rights to trade freely across the EU.
On Tuesday Emmanuel Macron, a candidate in May’s French presidential election, said he wants British “banks, talents, researchers, academics” to move to France after Brexit.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I get the feeling you are doing much more than simply pointing out anything. It comes across to me as a desire to be rid of migrants from other nations in the UK. That notion comes across to me frequently in your posts.

Tom
You are quite wrong on this. I am a lot more attached to the continent than most participants in this thread.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But Danidl, the woman in question in this case was Le Pen, she wished not to wear the veil. The incident in itself mis proves your point, women are obviously pressured to wear the veil and by men.
Its oppression , and very often with oppressed people they don't realise it themselves. The women are pressured to perpetuate the conditioning.
A western woman visiting a cleric in a Muslim dominated community choose not to wear a veil. She knew or should have known that it would cause dissent. There was a cultural norm at stake. The cleric would probably be distracted by what would have been perceived as a slight or insult.

Western women wear bikinis and less on beaches and nightclubs, it is the cultural norm, would it have been appropriate for that meeting?

Incidentally my understanding of the request to wear a veil goes back to menfolk being distracted by the beauty of the women from the time of St. Paul predating Islam by 500 years with elaborate hairdos as being a crowning glory.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Extermination of the elderly has already started. They aren't using gas chambers, just underfunding public health. The elderly and infirm will perish first.

If you think about it, if you are old, from the government's point of view, they want you to die. Why would they want to spend tens of thousands of pounds keeping you alive only to pay you tens of thousands more in pension? Better to kill you off through neglect.

I think May would prefer to personally club old people to death though. Silently popping off on a hospital trolley isn't humiliating enough for working class people.
Imagine if we had a referendum to kill off all the over 70's,the young may vote for that to cure the housing crisis,cure the NHS and social care funding shortfall and put some cash into their pockets before we all SKI ( spend kids inheritance)
If that was voted yes,would Theresa May say 'we have to go ahead it's the will of the people'
KudosDave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I'm fully aware of all this of course, but recent doesn't equate to wrong. In many cases it equates to right, being born of enlightenment.

That is the case here.

Advertisers