Brexit, for once some facts.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oppression, mental or physical cruelty, classification of other humans as inferior are wrong. As cultural norms they remain wrong. As religious beliefs they remain wrong.
That's exactly the kind of principle that the EU is founded on. The rest of the world will catch up in the distant future.

Tom

I'm not so sure about that!
agreed. I've worked in schools and some 6th form centres in places like Oldham.

Any 17 year old who claims they can't get a job because of immigration is simply mis informed, and Farage is part of the reason for that.

I bet if I or anyone else spent a week with that lad, we'd be able to either a) find him a job, or b) find out why he's not been employed.

and I am prepared to be his views on immigration might be one of the reasons he's not getting a job, or doesn't want the jobs that are available, especially if he's likely to be working with immigrants.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oppression, mental or physical cruelty, classification of other humans as inferior are wrong.
@oldtom,

Yes, flecc said that and yet, he also said that fellow Europeans can justify preferential treatment.
How about equal treatment for all immigrants after brexit?
Because they are fellow Europeans with whom we have many ties? Family is important and can justify preferential treatment.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Any 17 year old who claims they can't get a job because of immigration is simply mis informed, and Farage is part of the reason for that.

I bet if I or anyone else spent a week with that lad, we'd be able to either a) find him a job, or b) find out why he's not been employed.

and I am prepared to be his views on immigration might be one of the reasons he's not getting a job, or doesn't want the jobs that are available, especially if he's likely to be working with immigrants.
You mean bad attitude is preventing him from finding a job? Shocking!

11.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
@oldtom,

Yes, flecc said that and yet, he also said that fellow Europeans can justify preferential treatment.
I did not post that in terms of those fundamental rights. They are universal.

There's a vast range of differential treatments that can be applied to others, which for various reasons might be justified. That can be true for our European neighbours. Third of September 1939 for example.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom
That's easy.
I blame the educationalists. Not enough tough love for their pupils.
BTW, this guy may not have been to sixth form.
possibly not... probably not.

But at some point he's going to have to take responsibility for his own actions.

Blaming another group for his inability to find employment isn't going to lead to a happy and fulfilled life.

What's next, once the immigrants have gone, will he blame the people with more experience, or better qualifications?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You mean bad attitude is preventing him from finding a job? Shocking!

View attachment 17891
... I had an electric apprentice in, college for training who looked just like this guy. Immediately I knew he was trouble.. however he turned out to one of the most appreciative, gentleman I had. So don't judge by appearances.​

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Look I also come from the same liberal western background as yourself and would share the same values. But there are other values and other societies which value other attributes and it is an arrogance to believe that ours is the only true way.....
The difference is that the things I listed are a threat to life.

That is what makes them always wrong, past, present and future.

Killing is not a value.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Income - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tax rate

Between €9,701 - €26,791 - - - - - - 14%
Between €26,792 - €71,826 - - - - - 30%
Between €71,827 - €152,108 - - - - 41%
Above €151,108 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 45%

A bit high in the second band but doesn't look too severe otherwise.
I think it is social taxes,NIC's etc.....that was why O'Leary pulled Ryanair out of France,the employer contribution is very high.
That is also the situation in Poland.
KudosDave

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

. The number of jobs available availability ,for untrained young males is decreasing. You cannot even be on a building site, the old GOTO location for untrained youths without a safety certificate. 17 year olds deserve to be in school or training centres.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Western women, particularly British women, wear this type of clothing for a very good reason. Rather than studying and improving themselves in order to become more employable, they dress like this in the hope that they are discovered by Simon Cowell and his X Factor. Sadly, they are usually discovered by a horrified dog walker instead.
...... Spoken by a true dog walker.
No they do so as a perceived freedom, to impress other women , to attract potential mates , to make themselves feel good. And for a myriad of other reasons I cannot begin to fanthom
Some of them even study!!!, Attain degrees!!, Get jobs, Walk dogs, and I was not necessarily only referring to British women,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But at some point he's going to have to take responsibility for his own actions.

Blaming another group for his inability to find employment isn't going to lead to a happy and fulfilled life.
I agree, there's always options. Like anyone my circumstances for observing this sort of situation is limited, but I can cite three cases showing what is possible:

Case 1: My non-academic nephew Carl left school and after a while took a rubbish job. Approaching 18 he decided there
had to be more to life, and being a keen cyclist he decided to ride around the world, setting off on his 18th birthday. Living simply and camping en route the little money he'd saved kept him going through Europe from Iceland and Norway through Europe and around the Med.

In Israel with no more money he joined a Kibbutz, then spotting an abandoned shack he did it up and set up a bar for the Kibbutzim, earning enough eventually to continue his journey. Arriving in South Africa he connected with a couple who were distant relatives and unexpectedly quite wealthy. They were so impressed with what he was doing they made him a promise, leading to him eventually returning to South Africa.

There they set him up with his own cycle shop and bungalow to live in, and he was successful with that and in the cycling sphere there, becoming the South African Cycle Cross champion. He also met his wife-to-be during his round the world trip, marrying in South Africa.

All starting with making an effort.

Case 2: A neighbour's lad getting to 16 and not old enough to fulfill his real ambition decided to try college. Being another non-academic he soon decided that was not for him and after a while took a rubbish job in Marks and Spencers local warehouse. At 18 to get away from that he went back packing for a year in Australia, something so many of our youngsters do these days. Then on his return after a couple of temporary jobs he joined a rail company to train as a driver, which he now does with quite a good income. His original ambition which wasn't entirely realistic has been abandoned in favour of a future. He got married three years ago and now has two children.

Case 3: In our area of 99 properties we run our own management company and employ a skilled handyman part time. Needing some brick repairs and bricklaying for us, he took on two unemployed teenagers who had been going to college one day a week learning bricklaying. They did an excellent job for us, so we expanded the range of work that the handyman and the two teenagers could do, meaning they now get regular work. We gave them a chance, they rose to it with good work and have benefited.

Conclusion: Just three cases from one person's limited experience, illustrating how wide the range of possibilities are for any youngster, even the unqualified.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The difference is that the things I listed are a threat to life.

That is what makes them always wrong, past, present and future.

Killing is not a value.
"All men kill the thing they love..."
Killing of other humans is a valued profession. Look at the monuments in any Imperial city. Look at the amounts of money spent on arms .
Killing is a part of life, without life there would be none. What you are referring to is unjustified, or unlawful or similar value judgemental qualifications to the act of killing. Using a herbicide, or an antibiotic is killing, use of pharmaceutical agents to alleviate pain and hastening death is killing.

My original point was that other societies place different values on what you or I might see as principles. Social stability might be seen as a greater good than individual liberty. Family honour more important than the right of an individual. Etc...
We can only see the world through the filters we have been conditioned to use.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Killing is a part of life, without life there would be none. What you are referring to is unjustified, or unlawful or similar value judgemental qualifications to the act of killing. Using a herbicide, or an antibiotic is killing, use of pharmaceutical agents to alleviate pain and hastening death is killing.
Obviously I rely on the intelligence of readers to accept that I'm referring to killing fellow humans in unacceptable circumstances. The alternative of typing out the exclusion of every other possibility of what one is posting would render forums such as this unusable.

Repeating your original point is unnecessary, it's easily understood and I've understood it from the outset. I don't accept its validity and have explained why.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
How about equal treatment for all immigrants after brexit?
The UK has an excellent, historic record of according a friendly welcome to immigrants from a whole range of countries beyond the EU. To some extent, that continues to be the case, even now, although we have failed miserably to address the recent migrant crisis, resulting from the wars we created in the middle-east and Afghanistan.

As a full member of a club with mutually reciprocal benefits, I see no issue with going the extra mile for our fellow members, over and above the humanitarian kindness we have extended to those immigrants and refugees we have previously accepted from various continents. I'm afraid, with attitudes like yours, after 'Brexit', we may not have any immigrants at all. Perhaps that is what you want?

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oldtom,
You seem to have a very skeptical view of anyone who does not agree with you.
After brexit, what do you think we should do? accord the same preferential treatment to EU citizens like before?

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Advertisers