Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OK boys and girls - just take a look at this:

"The UK's goods and services trade DEFICIT with the EU for the 15 years 2001–2015 totalled more than half a trillion pounds (£554.9bn). ONS"

Now. Think about it. That means we IMPORT more from them than we export (to spell it out). Remember IMPORTS are GOOD. They are proof we can afford extra stuff over and above what we already have.

Now think this through. Imagine you're in the EU. LIke you make French Cheese or Italian suits or German cars. Do you want your government to impose what is effectively an export tax on your goods - because if you do you're going to sell less of your stuff to us here in the UK.

No. Obviously. You want to sell your stuff to the UK. So you won't be in favour of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OK boys and girls - just take a look at this:

"The UK's goods and services trade DEFICIT with the EU for the 15 years 2001–2015 totalled more than half a trillion pounds (£554.9bn). ONS"

Now. Think about it. That means we IMPORT more from them than we export (to spell it out). Remember IMPORTS are GOOD. They are proof we can afford extra stuff over and above what we already have.

Now think this through. Imagine you're in the EU. LIke you make French Cheese or Italian suits or German cars. Do you want your government to impose what is effectively an export tax on your goods - because if you do you're going to sell less of your stuff to us here in the UK.

No. Obviously. You want to sell your stuff to the UK. So you won't be in favour of that.
And when all the legislation that has improved the lot of the lower classes had been repealed to improve profits, and environmental legislation reduced so that we use poisonous insecticides,
What will the public care about that?
And untested drugs are given to the sick?
Or being sacked at a moment's notice comes back, will you be pleased?
You really don't realise the mess you are making of the future of the nation, do you?
Far more important things are being risked, but you don't want to believe that do you?
You just think there will be a few extra pounds on your wallet, and who cares about anyone else?
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
When we have our various protected rights stripped from us after secession from the EU, you will encounter lots more of this kind of ridiculous nonsense from the guardians of the privileged in the oligarchic disunited kingdom that will remain.

Of course, those concerned by such fascist enforcement of tory laws might gather together and demonstrate on the streets......well actually, I'm pretty sure that right won't be a right for too long under this government....hey ho!

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And when all the legislation that has improved the lot of the lower classes had been repealed to improve profits, and environmental legislation reduced so that we use poisonous insecticides,
that's totally unfounded - parliament will have to pass legislation for these things. How do you know if and when they are going to be reality?

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
that's totally unfounded - parliament will have to pass legislation for these things. How do you know if and when they are going to be reality?
He doesn't. Yet again, he is fast-forwarding to some non-specific time in the future. Each time the speculation becomes increasingly erratic, the dire consequences are amplified by an order of magnitude and the logic becomes even further dislocated from reality. It's garbage.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
He doesn't. Yet again, he is fast-forwarding to some non-specific time in the future. Each time the speculation becomes increasingly erratic, the dire consequences are amplified by an order of magnitude and the logic becomes even further dislocated from reality. It's garbage.
... Either a minister of state in your government or an ex minister of state in the same and current government made a statement that post EU , the UK would be freed of environmental concerns and or clinical trial obligations or they did not. Surely that is the germane point. Did they make that assertion or not?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
... Either a minister of state in your government or an ex minister of state in the same and current government made a statement that post EU , the UK would be freed of environmental concerns and or clinical trial obligations or they did not. Surely that is the germane point. Did they make that assertion or not?
They may well have made a statement to the effect that the UK would no longer be obliged to adhere rigidly to EU legislation concerning these matters. However, it does not mean that following such a statement, the UK will automatically embark on a course of action to dismantle the legislation. We will probably adopt all of it in the initial stages, we may well tighten some aspects and relax others in the future, I don't know.

What is garbage is the notion that we will go on an orgy of reckless abandonment of this type of legislation once unshackled from the one size fits all EU approach. The taking of an individual aspect of BREXIT and then extrapolating it to a ridiculous extreme is prevalent on this thread and it is idiotic and it is child like.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They may well have made a statement to the effect that the UK would no longer be obliged to adhere rigidly to EU legislation concerning these matters. However, it does not mean that following such a statement, the UK will automatically embark on a course of action to dismantle the legislation. We will probably adopt all of it in the initial stages, we may well tighten some aspects and relax others in the future, I don't know.

What is garbage is the notion that we will go on an orgy of reckless abandonment of this type of legislation once unshackled from the one size fits all EU approach. The taking of an individual aspect of BREXIT and then extrapolating it to a ridiculous extreme is prevalent on this thread and it is idiotic and it is child like.
In my limited experience, government ministers are likely to fly kites .. they suggest things and unless there is an outcry move along that direction. Unless it was in their thinking why express it?
A problem unique to the UK is that there is no written consitution. The government of the day can propose anything and unless the law courts can identify counter precedents, it can pass. Other countries with formal written documentation have additional safeguards

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't think it's likely that we will water down workers and environmental protection. Mrs May has had a pretty good run so far with Mr Corbyn's help but now that A50 is about to be triggered, normal opposition will come back.
That means that Mrs May can't bully anyone anymore.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Excellent. This probably means Dyson are in fact a great company and Old Groaner will now completely change his mind about Brexit!

The news just keeps getting better.
Actually I am expecting Great things from Brexit: the problem is that "Great" an mean many things, and mst of the time the result is catastrophe.
Answer this honestly, are you really expecting to benefit from being Governed by incompetents in a backward, small offshore island economy?

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

You jest of course, that is exactly what they will do, to silence the Brexit voters, first thing to go will be Fishing restrictions and testing standards on drugs and food production that reduce profits, and fracking like there is no tomorrow will be on the cards too.
Anything that would be a long term benefit but impedes short term profit will be out of the window, and the excuse will be
The Big bad EU made us do it with the lousy deal they forced on us, and or optionally, it is the will of the "people" .

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think it's likely that we will water down workers and environmental protection. Mrs May has had a pretty good run so far with Mr Corbyn's help but now that A50 is about to be triggered, normal opposition will come back.
That means that Mrs May can't bully anyone anymore.
I don't think it's likely that you could see a bus coming even if it was about to run you down!
It would need to be an open top one with a Brass Band playing upstairs to get through to the average Brexit Fan!

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Actually I am expecting Great things from Brexit: the problem is that "Great" an mean many things, and mst of the time the result is catastrophe.
Answer this honestly, are you really expecting to benefit from being Governed by incompetents in a backward, small offshore island economy?
Tell me where you,d live with better governance ?? You do nothing but criticize and moan but offer nothing as alternatives.. Perhaps you,d prefer to live in North Korea? China perhaps ? Cuba ?? Come on OG where ?
You,ve repeated yourself time and time again...arent you just a bit bored with the same old rubbish OG..
Yes our system in UK is not perfect, but its a damned site nearer than any others I,ve experienced...especially those in your beloved EU...
If you feel so strong OG you could always emigrate ...but take Tom with you...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What eveyone needs to remember is that the real problem ahead isn't the people who voted for Brexit, as let's face it, you can kid them with any old rubbish.
Brexit has to please the 48% like me , not merely as well, but even better, as we are not so easily conned into accepting a poor deal.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Tell me where you,d live with better governance ?? You do nothing but criticize and moan but offer nothing as alternatives.. Perhaps you,d prefer to live in North Korea? China perhaps ? Cuba ?? Come on OG where ?
You,ve repeated yourself time and time again...arent you just a bit bored with the same old rubbish OG..
Getting desperate are you?

Let me put it simply enough for you to understand.
I am not interested in living anywhere else, though it seems you are, and in countries you criticise too.

I want this country Governed For the people, by the people, Democratically where the Public is not fed lies and false promises, and I want it not simply here, but right now.

Anything else is unacceptable, and despite ditherers like you who couldn't make their minds up, what I want is exactly the same as the average Brexit voter thought they were voting for.

The difference is that they believe that is what they are going to get.
I know we won't, but if things turn out badly enough the Brexit voters might finally wake up and demand better government.
Is there anything there you object to?

If so, why?

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan
Well Farage has a plan B... what about you?

If Brexit turns out to be a disaster, Nigel Farage will “go and live abroad, I’ll go and live somewhere else.”

The former UKIP leader made the pledge on his LBC radio show on Monday evening, but told a Remain voting caller that it won’t happen as “it isn’t going to be a disaster. We’ve just managed to get ourselves in a lifeboat off the Titanic. The EU does not work.”

Asked by a Remain voting caller to his LBC radio show if he would apologize and quit politics if — “two or three years down the line” — experts were proved right about the “economic disaster that’s going to happen” after Brexit, Farage said “there isn’t much of a tradition here.”

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and Wicky

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well Farage has a plan B... what about you?

If Brexit turns out to be a disaster, Nigel Farage will “go and live abroad, I’ll go and live somewhere else.”

The former UKIP leader made the pledge on his LBC radio show on Monday evening, but told a Remain voting caller that it won’t happen as “it isn’t going to be a disaster. We’ve just managed to get ourselves in a lifeboat off the Titanic. The EU does not work.”

Asked by a Remain voting caller to his LBC radio show if he would apologize and quit politics if — “two or three years down the line” — experts were proved right about the “economic disaster that’s going to happen” after Brexit, Farage said “there isn’t much of a tradition here.”
Here is the infographic of that moment:

Farage Brexit Disaster Leave UK.png

Tom

• :D

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
There are countless examples of why the EU is a fantastic institution and this is just one of many stories about which the average little Englander is completely ignorant. It's enough to make one wonder why such stories have never been publicised in British media. One could be excused for thinking it has been deliberate.

17425908_10154546863677689_2599617290182769034_n.jpg
"On 25 March 1957, my family lived with joyful expectations. Stalin had died and we had finally received permission to return to Latvia. My mother had spent 18 years in exile. My father and his mother, eight. Two grandfathers had died in unknown Gulag camps. My grandmother on my mother’s side had already been buried in the village cemetery for years. My parents fell in love in Siberia’s hopelessness and I was born there. They had to register me twice a month at the Cheka office. My parents then decided that no more Soviet slaves would be born to them. I do not have any brothers or sisters. It’s my mother and me in this photo, all dressed up in clothes sent by my relatives. Soon, very soon, there would be a ship to take us home to our beloved and longed-for Latvia. 46 years later, I signed the Treaty of Accession of Latvia to the EU as Minister of Foreign Affairs."

Tom

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Saw this today which I thought was worth noting:

When we leave the EU - we'll still be members of the following:

WTO
G7
G20
OECD
IMF
FSB
NATO
WHO
UNSC
UNEP
UNECE
ISO
ILO
Codex
Interpol
World Bank
Commonwealth
Council of Europe

For those people who like to belong to things.

• Dislike

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
You're talking about the 5th biggest economy in the world. Have a little faith my friend. Relax and enjoy the ride.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

Advertisers