Brexit, for once some facts.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Of course you want to hear it and ever think of asking questions such as who is going to build these driverless cars, and is the money touted even a hundredth of the cost it takes to develp one?
No wonder you fall for their lies
https://qz.com/924212/what-it-really-costs-to-turn-a-car-into-a-self-driving-vehicle/
Interesting article and probably true at the development stage. However, I've been there in the past and very close to military development costs where the original costs were in the hundreds of millions (all paid by the taxpayer) and yet the final in-service item was less than £250 a piece. That was the forerunner of the mobile phone.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Here is a thought for you to consider.
The EU really don't care what support it has in the UK as it has written us off already and has (unlike us) planned what to do if we walk away.

The EU really really doesn't care about attitudes in the UK
It has an Agenda and plan, we haven't either.
Where did you read this then?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting article and probably true at the development stage. However, I've been there in the past and very close to military development costs where the original costs were in the hundreds of millions (all paid by the taxpayer) and yet the final in-service item was less than £250 a piece. That was the forerunner of the mobile phone.
Well done you have just destroyed your own argument as May is talking about developing something where any existing technology is very definitely well protected by patents and we start at square one with a pittance.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Peter Lilley MP was Secretary of State for Trade and Industry 1990-92
Being a minister for 22 months does not confer one with an all-knowing authority on matters actually dealt with by senior civil servants so we need not pay particular attention to what Lilley has to say.

As a trained killer, Peter, you probably spent longer in one foxhole than Lilley did as Secretary for Trade and Industry. It doesn't follow that you have an innate understanding of the underground workings of coal mines or the London Underground.

Please don't respond with, 'Funny you should mention that......'

Tom

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
  • Informative
Reactions: oldtom

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Being a minister for 22 months does not confer one with an all-knowing authority on matters actually dealt with by senior civil servants so we need not pay particular attention to what Lilley has to say.

As a trained killer, Peter, you probably spent longer in one foxhole than Lilley did as Secretary for Trade and Industry. It doesn't follow that you have an innate understanding of the underground workings of coal mines or the London Underground.

Please don't respond with, 'Funny you should mention that......'

Tom
Fear not, I won't. Pray tell me what he said was wrong, ill-informed?

Never lived in a 'hole I'm pleased to say, I like my creature comforts too much. What's yours like - I assume you creep out of a hole most mornings?

• Dislike
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Well done you have just destroyed your own argument as May is talking about developing something where any existing technology is very definitely well protected by patents and we start at square one with a pittance.
Remind me, how much was that pittance?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Down and down we go
"
MPs have voted to reject the inclusion of animal sentience – the admission that animals feel emotion and pain – into the EU Withdrawal Bill.

The move has been criticised by animal rights activists, who say the vote undermines environment secretary Michael Gove’s pledge to prioritise animal rights during Brexit.

The majority of animal welfare legislation comes from the EU. The UK Government is tasked with adopting EU laws directly after March 2019 but has dismissed animal sentience."

For Crying out loud

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You can really say utterly stupid things at times when you know my situation and the other right wing clown is just as bad.
I,m returning to "work" in Spain in morning...after 2 ( mini fortunately) strokes and developing AFib..with a resting HR of 165...
We,ve all got problems OG..
If you took offence, my apologies. It was a joke OG...I don't actually think you are planning on going to vet to be put down..

• :D

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Down and down we go
"
MPs have voted to reject the inclusion of animal sentience – the admission that animals feel emotion and pain – into the EU Withdrawal Bill.

The move has been criticised by animal rights activists, who say the vote undermines environment secretary Michael Gove’s pledge to prioritise animal rights during Brexit.

The majority of animal welfare legislation comes from the EU. The UK Government is tasked with adopting EU laws directly after March 2019 but has dismissed animal sentience."

For Crying out loud
You are a vegan these days then ??
Its just something for you to have a go at...besides a few posts back you were saying animals get a better deal at vets than we do at NHS..( ****** again mind)

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Remind me, how much was that pittance?
4 billion pounds and against the cost of development that is far too small, especially when spread around among many grasping hands, as it will disappear into some Torys pockets before any work is done, and what's left sold off to foreigners in the time honoured way.
Nice little rip off to con the public, another high speed tipping train style debacle , when other contries have already patented the technology now.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The individuals who were on the Brexit side ducked out for the simple reason that they could not come up with anything more than excuses and wishful thinking to support Brexit, but you decided to attack all and sundry as a smokescreen instead, and you still persist in doing so.
That is absolutely correct. No 'Brexidiot' has ever come up with an answer to the question of how and when we will benefit from secession. They are all guilty of gambling with the nation's fortunes and the future prospects for young people and the generations to come.

Changing the subject somewhat but remaining pertinent to the tenor of this thread, surely one day soon a village somewhere will send out a recovery team and recapture their escaped idiot?

Tom

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You are a vegan these days then ??
No, why do you ask? accepting animal sentience didn't cause us any problems before did it? and it stopped vivisection and a lot of primate testing which was a very good thing.
There can only be one reason to deny animal sentient status, and that is to exploit them.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh that report. Yes, I read it and I have been following other things that he has said more recently which are rather more conciliatory. This is just a 'game' OG, it's not the truth or even the expected outcome. Of course they are preparing for us to crash out and so are we.
We aren't even prepared for any sort of Brexit till we figure out what we want!

Advertisers