Brexit, for once some facts.

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
There is no reason why Labour should not have voted for A50.

Tory hard brexiter MPs use wrecking tactic to stop:

a) any deal that keeps the UK in the or a CU and/or the SM or pay the divorce bill
b) Parliament to have a role in shaping brexit

The sooner we have a new GE, the better really.
The reason could have been to stop us leaving,

Or they could have used it to constrain the Government into doing things properly, instead of leaving it to Gina Miller and the courts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Let’s face it our government is stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to please both sides being impossible, that is what is undermining the process, it’s been two years of petty bickering from both sides,
which is why they should pick one side or the other and live with the consequences, other than that it needs the EU to agree a deal midway between Brexit and remain, that the government can sell to the majority,

why should the EU do that, well it fixes the problem and continues the security of Europe, and it is their problem as well, the European countries rely on us buying from them, maybe not as much as we rely on them to buy our goods, but enough for it to be unthinkable, what we don’t know is how far the EU are prepared to move, if it’s as some say not at all, then we are back to remaining in, or leaving despite the cost. and everyone feels the pain, us far more than the EU, but Ireland, France and Germany certainly,

I don’t think the EEA option is enough, though you could argue that us being in it would change the dynamics so that it becomes less subordinate to the main EU countries, or you could also argue that any EEA plus arrangement would lead to other EEA members wanting the same,

It’s not the place I want us to be in, or think it we should be in, in many ways the divisions are generated to sell media space, finding a working solution is hugely important, sniping on the sidelines isn’t, maybe instead of stating whether we are for or against, we should move onto what we are prepared to accept giving some credence to the other side.
One side, or would that be best of three?

Hard Brexit
Soft Brexit
No Brexit
Guess which is my choice?
And by the way the divisions in the voting population were created to bring Brexit about.
The truth is that leaving the EU means that we at the mercy of a pack of utterly incompetent and corrupt politicians that have the best reason they can think of "Dire necessity" to take the voters to the cleaners under the guise "We don't want to do this but it's the Will of the people"

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That’s just your own bias, and petulance, that adds nothing.
Perhaps you haven't read the EU directives on clamping down on Offshore tax swindles?
Where the heck does bias and petulance come in when there are facts supporting that view?

The Conservatives have never lifted a finger do other than profit from disasters in industry, which we now will need to be revived with great haste, yet there is absolutely no chance of them doing so.
They simply want out of the EU before the proverbial hits that fan
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/company-tax/anti-tax-avoidance-package/anti-tax-avoidance-directive_en
Only a Government apologist could take the view that they have any intention of doing any other than bleeding the country white because the opportunity provided by Brexit is too good to miss

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"We don't want to do this but it's the Will of the people"
currently, the majority (57% according to latest polls) support a soft brexit.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
currently, the majority (57% according to latest polls) support a soft brexit.
I wonder how any appreciate what that will mean? when even the Government doesn't seem able to? or even what a "Soft Brexit " is?
Let's face it there is precious little to go on other than vague and disconnected promises, because quite simply it's as vague as a Horoscope prediction.

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder how any appreciate what that will mean? when even the Government doesn't seem able to? or even what a "Soft Brexit " is?
Let's face it there is precious little to go on other than vague and disconnected promises, because quite simply it's as vague as a Horoscope prediction.
Do you know that the Norway solution is a 'temporary arrangement'? Norwegian government wants to rejoin the EU but the Norwegians do not want to, so they continue with the temporary arrangement.
That's what soft brexit is likely to be. Continue to transit until the EU's average is better than the UK's average, we would be then back in the same situation as in the 70s.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am Ian a man, a husband, a father an uncle a family man, I am from Cockermouth, a Cumbrian, English, British, a United Kingdom citizen, European and an earthling, member of our solar system and galaxy if we manage to get as far as that,
But the fault in that line is the word British. You correctly said you were a citizen of the UK but should also have said you were a citizen of Britain, which is an area, not a nation. If you research this subject as I did long ago you'll find I'm correct.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you know that the Norway solution is a 'temporary arrangement'? Norwegian government wants to rejoin the EU but the Norwegians do not want to, so they continue with the temporary arrangement.
Small correction, Norway was never in the EU so cannot rejoin. Indeed their government does want to join.

Their referendum was asking the people to support joining, but they rejected that in favour of continuing with their EEA style arrangement.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Amazing: the EU is privately preparing to extend A50.

Irish prime minister Leo Varadkar said this week that there were “a number of different scenarios that could arise if we’re in a ‘no deal’ situation” by March – acknowledging that it “is possible to extend Article 50 to allow more time for negotiations to take place”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-plans-uk-leave-postponed-european-union-article-50-theresa-may-a8400441.html
Fascinating: how embarrassing that we have been unable to keep to a timetable like a gaggle of squabbling schoolkids!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Fascinating: how embarrassing that we have been unable to keep to a timetable like a gaggle of squabbling schoolkids!
if we could extend A50 until after the next GE (whenever that may be), that would be less damaging to the economy.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
if we could extend A50 until after the next GE (whenever that may be), that would be less damaging to the economy.
If you could extend A50 indefinitely, it would be be less damaging, and nearly as good as cancelling it...
Anyway what our Leo said was already known and discussed on this forum months ago.. but the caveat remains that it must be a unanimous decision of 27 . Now while I know what Leo's position would be, I have no idea how Hungry might decide.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If you could extend A50 indefinitely, it would be be less damaging, and nearly as good as cancelling it...
Anyway what our Leo said was already known and discussed on this forum months ago.. but the caveat remains that it must be a unanimous decision of 27 . Now while I know what Leo's position would be, I have no idea how Hungry might decide.
Hven't we done well? we have gone from a situation where we could bully the rest of the EU for special treatment and terms to the point where we are reduced to begging for scraps and squabbling among our own so called Parliamentary representatives
And now nations feel so sorry for us they are prepared to give us more time.
And the result? we will take the time to make even bigger fools of ourselves.
What a disaster.
A once all powerful nation that was a force to be reckoned with in the EU is the first to attain "Homeless" status as an offshore basket case, ending up as a latter day Port Royal. for the worlds worst financial swindlers.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
An example of pure hypocrisy in the Express
"
A symbol of EU FAILURE’ Brussels policy blamed after Italy turns migrant boat away
A RESCUE ship carrying 629 migrants, which was turned away by Italy and Malta, has been branded a “symbol of the failure of the European Union” by the boss of a charity which helps operate the vessel.

What the head of the charity said was
"The head of MSF Spain, David Noguera, blamed the EU and the “contradictory policies” of member states for the situation.

Well he had every reason to be upset, but let's look at the facts Brussels do not determine the policies of member states, and a right wing mininster in Italy decides to turn the boat back to look Macho.
The Maltese turn it back too, and in their defence I know Malta very well, it is a tiny island that in no way can take in large numbers of migrants as in the summer the place is so full of people water and other services are stretched to near breaking point.
What has any of this to do with Brussels Policies? on the one hand this right wing propaganda rag, the Express screams about Brussels imposing it's power over us and here complains because it didn't excercise power over a right wing nut case of a politician?
So this crap is presented to a baying Brexit voting readership as proof they are right to hate the EU?

Perhaps the editor is not sure of his audience as it is "Comments unavailable" at the bottom.
Still I'm sure among the gullible it will have resonated with their attitudes of being against helping refugees.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
An example of pure hypocrisy in the Express
"
A symbol of EU FAILURE’ Brussels policy blamed after Italy turns migrant boat away
A RESCUE ship carrying 629 migrants, which was turned away by Italy and Malta, has been branded a “symbol of the failure of the European Union” by the boss of a charity which helps operate the vessel.

What the head of the charity said was
"The head of MSF Spain, David Noguera, blamed the EU and the “contradictory policies” of member states for the situation.

Well he had every reason to be upset, but let's look at the facts Brussels do not determine the policies of member states, and a right wing mininster in Italy decides to turn the boat back to look Macho.
The Maltese turn it back too, and in their defence I know Malta very well, it is a tiny island that in no way can take in large numbers of migrants as in the summer the place is so full of people water and other services are stretched to near breaking point.
What has any of this to do with Brussels Policies? on the one hand this right wing propaganda rag, the Express screams about Brussels imposing it's power over us and here complains because it didn't excercise power over a right wing nut case of a politician?
So this crap is presented to a baying Brexit voting readership as proof they are right to hate the EU?

Perhaps the editor is not sure of his audience as it is "Comments unavailable" at the bottom.
Still I'm sure among the gullible it will have resonated with their attitudes of being against helping refugees.
Maybe the boat should have rerouted to the UK? (a.k.a. Gibraltar)

What? Oh yeah... Right... I'll be on my way...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Nigel Farage:
"May's Brexit plan is worse than being in EU".

he can tell things like they are from time to time.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Nigel Farage:
"May's Brexit plan is worse than being in EU".

he can tell things like they are from time to time.
Well he had two entirely opposite plans didn't he, ranging from staying in the single market and customs union to a hard Brexit.

Which pretty much means he had no plan at all except to serve his masters, and they seemed unsure what they wanted either.
Serving Foreign Paymasters changing Brexit requirements must have been hard to keep up with

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
let's say you work on an active anti-collision system. Each vehicule in the system would be fitted with a transponder. Each will report its GPS coordinate (in WGS format) when interrogated. That would make your programmer's life a lot easier wouldn't it?
I seem to remember that aircraft are specifically barred from working like that. After all, how can they trust the data other aircraft are sending out?

It would be so easy to implement systems which are hostage to hacking. We have seen what some people do with drones and laser pointers. Just think what they might do if the could inject fake data into the systems managing every vehicle on a busy motorway.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers