Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well I would hope everyone feels the same as you.
In can assure you they don't, as can every black person

I’m not sure discrimination exists. Look at people occupying top jobs in medicine and other professions. Lewis Hamilton hasn’t exactly been starved of opportunity in sports. I think a lot of people have “caught” the sense of discrimination and racism off Facebook, a bit like those who “catch” mental health issues, which is just a byword for feeling a bit pi$$ed because things aren’t quite like they want them to be.
It's not just about opportunity, ask footballer Raheem Stirling. He's a top class premier league player earning huge sums, but he's suffered the most appallingly insulting discrimination as I've seen on television, simply on account of being black, leaving him hurt and distraught as he's so eloquently described . He is one of the nicest people imaginable, doing a tremendous amount for charity and always ready to help any good cause, so in no way deserving of this treatment. And he is just one of so many of our league footballers who suffer the same way.

The Football Association see it and constantly try to stop it, government have complained about it, offenders have been tracked down and severely punished, so if you can't see any of this I can only say you are living with your senses switched off and replaced by preconceptions.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

I’m not sure discrimination exists. Look at people occupying top jobs in medicine and other professions. Lewis Hamilton hasn’t exactly been starved of opportunity in sports. I think a lot of people have “caught” the sense of discrimination and racism off Facebook, a bit like those who “catch” mental health issues, which is just a byword for feeling a bit pi$$ed because things aren’t quite like they want them to be.
Where does your discrimination come from then?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Simpleton, and he thought he was playing me ? you need better material tommie, and a brain would help too.
I`ve been playing you in all of this thread but you`ve been too dull to realise that...lol!

Anyway try and lighten up in your advanced years - a lifetime in the lavatory industry couldn`t be good for anyones mental health

oki-doki?! :)

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
..and in other news..

A Chinese car battery-maker says it is ready to manufacture a product capable of powering a vehicle for 1.2 million miles (two million kilometres) across the course of a 16-year lifespan.

By contrast, most automakers only offer warranties ranging from 60,000 to 150,000 miles over a three to eight-year period on their cars' batteries.

Demand for electric vehicles is growing.
The European market for EVs and plug-in hybrids grew by 72% in the first three months of the year compared to the same period in 2019, representing 7% of all delivered new cars, according to research firm Canalys.

Contemporary Amperex Technology has not revealed who it intends to supply.

But it was previously reported that the battery was co-developed with Tesla.

The Sunday Telegraph reported yesterday that the government is considering offering drivers up to £6,000 to swap their existing cars for electric models next month as part of efforts to boost the UK's electric car manufacturing industry.

The Nissan Leaf and Mini Electric are made locally, and Property Week has reported that Tesla is also considering opening its own "gigafactory" car battery plant in England.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

But things are not the way they should be. I used to work in a hospital in kwazulu that had to dedicate a ward to new born infants dying from dehydration caused by chronic diarrhoea (as a side effect of HIV they received from their mothers, there was an hiv pandemic in kwazulu then). Not because there wasn't medicine - because there wasnt money. In a country decimated by apartheid - as supported by thatcherite Britain (yup, govy and boris' pin up). All part of a globalised world with endemic inequality, racism and discrimination. It's easy to not see it, I find I forget in my cosy cottage in the shires, but it exists.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I’m not sure discrimination exists.
I have quite an interest in sport especially football and I watch and listen to a lot of sports channels on TV and radio. Here are some examples of racism that I hear sports people talking about. This is information provided by people like Raheem Sterling and Mica Richards.

When a black young player starts to make a name for himself in the premier league and make some money, if he buys a brand new car, he is described as being flash or being a bling boy in the papers. If a white young player does the same then he is described as local boy done good.

If a black player buys his parents an expensive house in a nice area then he is described as once again being flash and showing off. If a white player does the same then he is described as giving back to his parents because they had done so much for him when he was a kid.

Sterling has loads of examples from newspapers of this exact thing happening, and in all fairness he called many journalists out on it.

Patrick Viera and Yaya Toure are always described as beasts, or how strong they were or how athletic they were, this is all true but they were also two players with tremendous football intelligence. But journalists very rarely speak about a black sports personas intelligence its always just about their athleticism, this is slowly starting to change.

What this tends to mean though, is that when a Black player finishes his/her playing career they can't get jobs in coaching or managing because they are seen as just being strong, or fast or tough but not smart enough to coach other players.

I am not a fan of the royal family but just look how Megan Markle was reported in the press compared with how Kate is reported. There are numbers examples of Kate and Megan either doing the same things or dressed similarly but the way they are described is chalk and cheese. Some of the establishment in this country did not want any black blood getting near the royal family.

I started work in the mid 70s and discrimination then was dreadfull, I worked with out and out racists who hated anybody who wasn't white, things are better now but there is still plenty of racists about many hide it in the real world but you see it in forums and various web sites.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
one of the reasons for not recommending the use of face masks was improper use
Same with bike helmets, especially on children, usually much too far back and straps completely loose. Quite likely more of a liability than help.

(I do generally wear one, and have for more than 40 years after a couple of years in California where it was the norm even then.)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Tesla and in particular Elon Musk has a history of making all kinds of claims associated with batteries and self drive cars etc. The claims often never come to anything or if they do then they are several years later than promised. BTW I have owned Tesla shares in the past and have done well out of them and may well buy some more in the future.

The NASDAQ made an all time high today and the other American Stock Markets are close to making back all of their losses, I have no idea why this is happening it doesn't seem to make a great deal of logical sense to me. I am kind of torn about this, I have a fair bit of money invested in American Stock Markets, and my portfolio is now close to regaining all its losses. However I don't want Trump to win in November but with the markets back to where they were before the crisis then I think he has a very good chance of getting a second term.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(I do generally wear one, and have for more than 40 years after a couple of years in California where it was the norm even then.)
Isn't it strange though that so many motorcyclists there ride bare headed and often in T shorts and shorts.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tesla and in particular Elon Musk has a history of making all kinds of claims associated with batteries and self drive cars etc. The claims often never come to anything or if they do then they are several years later than promised.
Tesla have in fact turned down the UK for its new European e-car plant and is currently building it in Germany. I see no prospect of them building their car batteries here for a German plant's car production, especially with the tariffs uncertainty and customs etc barriers.

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I`ve been playing you in all of this thread but you`ve been too dull to realise that...lol!

Anyway try and lighten up in your advanced years - a lifetime in the lavatory industry couldn`t be good for anyones mental health

oki-doki?! :)
So when you lose an argument you try to make out it was a wind up all along ,oh how very twee !
Come off it Tommie you’re a failure, And you haven’t won an argument yet you really should give up trying leave the debate to the grown-ups

• :D
Reactions: tommie

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
So when you lose an argument you try to make out it was a wind up all along ,oh how very twee !
Come off it Tommie you’re a failure, And you haven’t won an argument yet you really should give up trying leave the debate to the grown-ups
Ooops!

See, you fell for it again.................the gift and keeps on giving......
Oh and when you lose the argument you descend into insults, typical loser strategy, lost for words
i`m sure that`s been pointed out to you on here before.... your ripostes have become increasingly boring and cringeworthy,
same old same old
No need to be embarrassed, come back with some new material please.....maybe try google again, Eh?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Tesla have in fact turned down the UK for its new European e-car plant and is currently building it in Germany. I see no prospect of them building their car batteries here for a German plant's car production, especially with the tariffs uncertainty and customs etc barriers..
You `could` be right, but that was back in Nov. 2019
Since then Nissan have jumped the sinking EU ship and Renault are ready to go down the tubes.

Musk has more of an interest in the UK, here->

Tesla's potential foray into Britain may also be in connection with the company's energy supply ambitions.

In early May, Tesla submitted a document to the relevant authorities in order to become an energy supplier in the UK,

In its application to the UK’s Gas and Electricity Markets Authority, Tesla requested for a license that would allow it to generate electricity to supply “any premises” in Great Britain.

Elon Musk previously stated that Tesla Energy could be as large or even larger than the car sector of the company.

The Telegraph reports: "In a move that analysts predict could shake up the country’s power landscape, the electric car company has 
applied to the UK’s energy regulator for a licence to generate electricity.

"The application does not make clear why Tesla has applied for the licence.

"Having built a significant battery business in recent years, industry sources say that Tesla is now preparing to enter the British market with its technology. "

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
gotta be an acquaintance of Mr Shittpeas surely,??
introducing Mr Shitthouse ->

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
And finally......

I went to my big local supermarket today, social distancing rules are still being applied of course 2 mtrs etc.
Wandering around inside the store it was quite clear no staff members were wearing masks, strange as I happen to know they are supplied with protective gear like gel and so on.
Well I've just checked online and it seems all large stores have had masks etc for staff to wear for many weeks, they just don't enforce the use of them. Company bosses say there's three reasons for that: Firstly demand for PPE equipment could cause a national shortage: Second training (yes really) bosses say staff would need to be trained how to fit and eventually dispose of said masks: Thirdly bosses say they prefer to practice other means of keeping shoppers safe like distancing and hand washing.

I always have a good laugh when I visit my local Supermarket, today was no different. :rolleyes:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You `could` be right, but that was back in Nov. 2019
Since then Nissan have jumped the sinking EU ship and Renault are ready to go down the tubes.

Musk has more of an interest in the UK, here->

Tesla's potential foray into Britain may also be in connection with the company's energy supply ambitions.

In early May, Tesla submitted a document to the relevant authorities in order to become an energy supplier in the UK,

In its application to the UK’s Gas and Electricity Markets Authority, Tesla requested for a license that would allow it to generate electricity to supply “any premises” in Great Britain.

Elon Musk previously stated that Tesla Energy could be as large or even larger than the car sector of the company.

The Telegraph reports: "In a move that analysts predict could shake up the country’s power landscape, the electric car company has 
applied to the UK’s energy regulator for a licence to generate electricity.

"The application does not make clear why Tesla has applied for the licence.

"Having built a significant battery business in recent years, industry sources say that Tesla is now preparing to enter the British market with its technology. "
sources eh? another windup for you

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ooops!

See, you fell for it again.................the gift and keeps on giving......
Oh and when you lose the argument you descend into insults, typical loser strategy, lost for words
i`m sure that`s been pointed out to you on here before.... your ripostes have become increasingly boring and cringeworthy,
same old same old
No need to be embarrassed, come back with some new material please.....maybe try google again, Eh?
the only windup you are doing is to make yourself look a fool
and who descends into insults?
"
ToiletBoy enters - if somewhat late........... must have got stuck in some latrine U-bend
"
tommie, you are a bigot and an idiot, and amazingly you don't realise it!
That isn't an insult by the way, just a statement of facts
:cool:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
the only windup you are doing is to make yourself look a fool
and who descends into insults?
"
ToiletBoy enters - if somewhat late........... must have got stuck in some latrine U-bend
"
tommie, you are a bigot and an idiot, and amazingly you don't realise it!
That isn't an insult by the way, just a statement of facts
:cool:
OG , an Ulsterman a Bigot?., Oh come on sir, get a grip. That is absurd!

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I have quite an interest in sport especially football and I watch and listen to a lot of sports channels on TV and radio. Here are some examples of racism that I hear sports people talking about. This is information provided by people like Raheem Sterling and Mica Richards.

When a black young player starts to make a name for himself in the premier league and make some money, if he buys a brand new car, he is described as being flash or being a bling boy in the papers. If a white young player does the same then he is described as local boy done good.

If a black player buys his parents an expensive house in a nice area then he is described as once again being flash and showing off. If a white player does the same then he is described as giving back to his parents because they had done so much for him when he was a kid.

Sterling has loads of examples from newspapers of this exact thing happening, and in all fairness he called many journalists out on it.

Patrick Viera and Yaya Toure are always described as beasts, or how strong they were or how athletic they were, this is all true but they were also two players with tremendous football intelligence. But journalists very rarely speak about a black sports personas intelligence its always just about their athleticism, this is slowly starting to change.

What this tends to mean though, is that when a Black player finishes his/her playing career they can't get jobs in coaching or managing because they are seen as just being strong, or fast or tough but not smart enough to coach other players.

I am not a fan of the royal family but just look how Megan Markle was reported in the press compared with how Kate is reported. There are numbers examples of Kate and Megan either doing the same things or dressed similarly but the way they are described is chalk and cheese. Some of the establishment in this country did not want any black blood getting near the royal family.

I started work in the mid 70s and discrimination then was dreadfull, I worked with out and out racists who hated anybody who wasn't white, things are better now but there is still plenty of racists about many hide it in the real world but you see it in forums and various web sites.
I can’t comment on your football quotes because I detest the business with a passion and actively avoid anything to do with it. All I see is black and white players making equal amounts of money and being successful in equal measure. I know there are idiots in the crowd who hurl insults at black players and that’s part of the reason I hate football, the type of people it attracts.

I started work in the 1980s and have never seen or experienced racism in the workplace. Maybe I was lucky. I’ve known people from ethnic backgrounds being senior to me and it’s been the other way around and I’ve never given it a thought, it’s just natural, why not?

My wife experienced one accusation of racism whilst in work. A black South African lady joined her team and almost immediately went off sick after her mother was shot back in South Africa. She returned to work many weeks later, but kept going sick with stress from the shooting. At a conference, my wife happened to meet the woman’s former boss and discovered that the mother had also been shot two years earlier with a subsequent sickness pattern. After a bit more digging, my wife discovered that this same story had been used a total of four times.

Evidence was collected and the South African lady was dismissed. As sure as night follows day, the accusations of racism followed the sacking. All sorts of garbage was thrown in the direction of my wife and the department staff. This woman was a special kind of stupid because my wife was able to prove that on over 80% of the occasions when she or her staff were accused of racist acts or comments, the woman was off sick due to “the shooting.” UNISON bottled suing her for the character damage she did to the staff of the whole department, saying it may deter others coming forward who are subjected to genuine racism! FFS, the woman should be in prison.

I‘ve known white people pull similar stunts to this South African lady, but of course, they can’t claim a racist motivation. It’s acts like those of the woman which cheapen racism, make people sceptical that it genuinely exists and question the motivation of the protestors.

I was listening to LBC a couple of days ago when they ran a phone in about the protests. An hysterical black woman called to say that the police “continually“ pull her over in her car because all the windows are tinted, but they don’t stop white car drivers for the same thing. This woman was spitting venom at the police and was very emotional. The presenter asked her how the police would know that she was black if all the windows were tinted? She was absolutely floored by the question. Totally unable to respond. And that’s the issue, mostly it doesn’t exists, it’s got into the protesters heads via Facebook and other shite media outlets. They are a bunch of twats.

As far as I’m concerned, when I mix with people from ethnic backgrounds, I’m not really conscious of any difference, they are just other people, like I am to them, and a you’re ok, I’m ok atmosphere exists. Why should it be different?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I can’t comment on your football quotes because I detest the business with a passion and actively avoid anything to do with it. All I see is black and white players making equal amounts of money and being successful in equal measure. I know there are idiots in the crowd who hurl insults at black players and that’s part of the reason I hate football, the type of people it attracts.

I started work in the 1980s and have never seen or experienced racism in the workplace. Maybe I was lucky. I’ve known people from ethnic backgrounds being senior to me and it’s been the other way around and I’ve never given it a thought, it’s just natural, why not?

My wife experienced one accusation of racism whilst in work. A black South African lady joined her team and almost immediately went off sick after her mother was shot back in South Africa. She returned to work many weeks later, but kept going sick with stress from the shooting. At a conference, my wife happened to meet the woman’s former boss and discovered that the mother had also been shot two years earlier with a subsequent sickness pattern. After a bit more digging, my wife discovered that this same story had been used a total of four times.

Evidence was collected and the South African lady was dismissed. As sure as night follows day, the accusations of racism followed the sacking. All sorts of garbage was thrown in the direction of my wife and the department staff. This woman was a special kind of stupid because my wife was able to prove that on over 80% of the occasions when she or her staff were accused of racist acts or comments, the woman was off sick due to “the shooting.” UNISON bottled suing her for the character damage she did to the staff of the whole department, saying it may deter others coming forward who are subjected to genuine racism! FFS, the woman should be in prison.

I‘ve known white people pull similar stunts to this South African lady, but of course, they can’t claim a racist motivation. It’s acts like those of the woman which cheapen racism, make people sceptical that it genuinely exists and question the motivation of the protestors.

I was listening to LBC a couple of days ago when they ran a phone in about the protests. An hysterical black woman called to say that the police “continually“ pull her over in her car because all the windows are tinted, but they don’t stop white car drivers for the same thing. This woman was spitting venom at the police and was very emotional. The presenter asked her how the police would know that she was black if all the windows were tinted? She was absolutely floored by the question. Totally unable to respond. And that’s the issue, mostly it doesn’t exists, it’s got into the protesters heads via Facebook and other shite media outlets. They are a bunch of twats.

As far as I’m concerned, when I mix with people from ethnic backgrounds, I’m not really conscious of any difference, they are just other people, like I am to them, and a you’re ok, I’m ok atmosphere exists. Why should it be different?
All of which I would think makes you a reasonable level headed guy, but then you ruin it all with Leprechaun rants.

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Advertisers