Brexit, for once some facts.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
We're a brainy lot us Brits, I believe I mentioned on here once before during the Falklands conflict the news media stopped people in the street and asked them where they thought the Islands were. Some said off the coast of Scotland others near the Isle of Wight :rolleyes:
I'm fairly sure if Nigel Farage launched a crowd funding site, to hire half a dozen tug boats to tow the Falklands to the UK. He would be inundated with money, actually thinking about it I might suggest the idea to Trump re Greenland.

I could see DT really going for the idea of getting a few of his billion dollar air craft carriers to tow Greenland over to the good old USA.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
He’s going to win though and ultimately it’s only the winning which counts.

Nobody remembers the loses, unless they are a sour loser and then they are remembered for all the wrong reasons. Hillary Clinton for example.

Trump is a stupid man. Whenever he speaks he comes over as being of low intelligence. For him to be in the running for re-election, that shows how appalling the alternative is. A bit like our election last year.
Do you really think he will win?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Remember back in the day - yes I'm talking to you OG (mainly) - when all the Remainers on here (which is almost everybody - well it was at the time) - were going on and on (AND ON) about how Cambridge Analytica AND THE RUSSIANS had 'swung the Brexit vote'. Well - at the time I thought it was ******* - and guess what? Turns out it WAS *******!

Happy days.

Here's the Spectator:

"So there you have it. Cambridge Analytica was ‘not involved’ in the 2016 EU referendum. The digital marketing firm that Remainers love to hate did not swing the British electorate towards Leave, as we were constantly told. In the words of the Guardian, no doubt uttered through gritted teeth, Cambridge Analytica did not ‘directly misuse data to influence the Brexit referendum’.

These are the conclusions of the Information Commissioner’s extensive three-year investigation into Cambridge Analytica. Throwing a big bucket of cold water on the chattering-class belief that Cambridge Analytica stealthily and probably illegally harvested people’s online data in order to manipulate our minds and make us vote Leave, the Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham said yesterday that, in truth, CA was not a significant player in the referendum, ‘beyond some initial enquiries’.

What’s more, Denham and her office found no evidence to back up one of the key stories about CA – that it colluded with Russia to shift Brits towards Leave. Denham, in her letter to MPs outlining the findings of her investigation, says her staff uncovered no ‘additional evidence’ of Russian involvement in the referendum on the Cambridge Analytica computer servers they pored over."
And you believe that
when you look the other way
The phrase
"And did not uncover any evidence"
Is pertinent and you don't see any evidence
However if you are proposing that this calamity called Brexit has proved to be is entirely the fault of the idiots who voted for it, I am prepared to concede the point!

Clearly their intention was to do irrepairable damage to this nation
Job completed
Congratulations see no evil!:D

As a matter of interest, how does it take three years to find nothing happened and there were no dirty deeds?
And conclude the huge sums spent by Cambridge Analytica were simply wasted?
How many places have you to avoid looking into?
Perhaps not looking on the wrong directions might have helped.

Hell's teeth I can come up with as poor an excuse as "unable to find any evidence" in thirty seconds and won't charge you for it!
Not turn it into a three year "Nice little earner" which had reached the point where it no longer served a purpose and the expense couldn't be justified any longer.

Perhaps you missed this bit in the Forbes report?
"But as for evidence of Russian involvement in the Brexit referendum, the ICO said it was not qualified to comment, adding that it had already handed over what evidence it had to the National Crime Agency. "

Not qualified to comment? then why was it involved?

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I do. The Dems are making all the right noises to gift him the victory.
Trump was answering some questions about how he could have caught the virus. He said that 'it may be at one of the big events at the White House, one learns that this virus is highly contagious.' in a normal tone, which is so different than his usual arrogant tone.
Perhaps the virus changed him, but he is not going to win this time. He has no international allies. Russians and Chinese have gone off him.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Trump was answering some questions about how he could have caught the virus. He said that 'it may be at one of the big events at the White House, one learns that this virus is highly contagious.' in a normal tone, which is so different than his usual arrogant tone.
Perhaps the virus changed him, but he is not going to win this time. He has no international allies. Russians and Chinese have gone off him.
He always has dropped into apparent normality - for a sentence or two.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Nev

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
And you believe that
when you look the other way
The phrase
"And did not uncover any evidence"
Is pertinent and you don't see any evidence
However if you are proposing that this calamity called Brexit has proved to be is entirely the fault of the idiots who voted for it, I am prepared to concede the point!

Clearly their intention was to do irrepairable damage to this nation
Job completed
Congratulations see no evil!:D

As a matter of interest, how does it take three years to find nothing happened and there were no dirty deeds?
And conclude the huge sums spent by Cambridge Analytica were simply wasted?
How many places have you to avoid looking into?
Perhaps not looking on the wrong directions might have helped.

Hell's teeth I can come up with as poor an excuse as "unable to find any evidence" in thirty seconds and won't charge you for it!
Not turn it into a three year "Nice little earner" which had reached the point where it no longer served a purpose and the expense couldn't be justified any longer.

Perhaps you missed this bit in the Forbes report?
"But as for evidence of Russian involvement in the Brexit referendum, the ICO said it was not qualified to comment, adding that it had already handed over what evidence it had to the National Crime Agency. "

Not qualified to comment? they why was it involved?

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
You just can't admit you were wrong can you?

All those posts going on and on (and on) you sent in about CA and the Russians - and here now a detailed and thorough report shows so very clearly how wrong you were.

But you just can not admit that.

So be it I guess.

Reactions: oldgroaner

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Absolutely, the British electorate were not putty minded fools manipulated by Cambridge Analytica.

As I knew, they were just fools with poor judgement, and they still are.

A poll has just been held in several countries asking the public how many have died from Covid-19. In Britain those polled thought on average it was 7% of the population, around 100 times what it really is.
40% voted for Corbyn. Enough said.

Reactions: flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
That’s a very reasonable assumption. What’s your complaint?
My 'complaint' is that for weeks upon weeks if not months OG went on and on and f***g on about how CA had fixed the result together with the Russians. At the time I thought he was full of c**p but oh no he went on and on (and on) about how he was right and how he knew for sure CA and the Russians had caused the vote to go the way it did.

So my 'complaint' is that OG is full of _____.

As the report shows.

Thanks.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Some people are very slow learners; with so little empathy they can't learn from others' misfortunes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My 'complaint' is that for weeks upon weeks if not months OG went on and on and f***g on about how CA had fixed the result together with the Russians. At the time I thought he was full of c**p but oh no he went on and on (and on) about how he was right and how he knew for sure CA and the Russians had caused the vote to go the way it did.

As the report shows.

Thanks.
Brexit has so far given us a dictatorial government headed by incompetent politicians and a chief of staff at No 10 who is more at home with weirdos and marginals than civil servants. They are so useless that they have not managed to negotiate a single substantial deal since.

if there were another brexit referendum now, which way do you think the votes will go?
All BJ talk about is the future is bright. Sure, he can claim credit when he's gone like Trump.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Brexit has so far given us a dictatorial government headed by incompetent politicians and a chief of staff at No 10 who is more at home with weirdos and marginals than civil servants. They are so useless that they have not managed to negotiate a single substantial deal since.

if there were another brexit referendum now, which way do you think the votes will go?
All BJ talk about is the future is bright. Sure, he can claim credit when he's gone like Trump.
Perhaps the mobile phone company was (frighteningly, terrifyingly) prophetic?

The future is bright, the future is orange.
I can, unfortunately, imagine Johnson...

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

As the report shows.

Thanks.
Personally I never gave much attention to the subject. The Russians interfering with a U.K. election is straight out of the crazy’s annual.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Personally I never gave much attention to the subject. The Russians interfering with a U.K. election is straight out of the crazy’s annual.
Although it's reasonable to look for a hidden agenda when voters take pathological liars like farage and boris, and their sponsors, seriously. As part of something as self evidently self destructive as brexit.

Reactions: Nev and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that does not mean that states don't have an interest in who is going to be elected POTUS or which way the brexit vote goes. States don't have to directly interfere with elections, but they can give money and data to local activists.
Would you call that interference? Legally speaking, probably not but materially, it can affect the outcome when the margin is small.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

As a real life case in point Andy Burnham et al have not accepted boris and Sunak's shitty proposal for funding the lockdown in the north (in hospitality most staff are on minimum wage, who's tried to survive o n two thirds of that or find other employment in a pandemic economy). The result will be more delayed lockdown and death rates over the next two months that will make March look tame.

Advertisers